PDA

View Full Version : What is the average income in your country ?

MaximB
September 3rd, 2007, 08:59 AM
What is the average income in your country ?
exclude all those Bill gateses you have.
I mean how much an average person makes in an hour of work ?

Most of the other statistics are very wrong made in the first place, I'll show you why :

1 businessman makes 100$ an hour
9 "regular" man makes 20# an hour

That makes an average income per hour 28$ , which is simply wrong.

So I want the income of the average man.

In Israel I can say that a regular person makes about 7 bucks per hour of work.

mostwanted
September 3rd, 2007, 09:28 AM
What is the average income in your country ?
exclude all those Bill gateses you have.
I mean how much an average person makes in an hour of work ?

Most of the other statistics are very wrong made in the first place, I'll show you why :

1 businessman makes 100$ an hour
9 "regular" man makes 20# an hour

That makes an average income per hour 28$ , which is simply wrong.

So I want the income of the average man.

In Israel I can say that a regular person makes about 7 bucks per hour of work.

Why are the statistics wrong? You seem to think only low-income wages are part of the average. Anyway, what makes everyones personal opinion on the subject more right than the statistic?

By the way $7 seems awfully low for an average in a developed country? Even a low-income average... I suppose things are cheaper in Israel, though.

There's no minimum wage in Denmark, but all wages are from about 95-100 kr and up (~$18 ) in all trades due to the power of unions in Denmark. I make $23.5 an hour in my job (and I made $19.5 in my previous and first job) and I'm just a student taking a gap year. I have no qualifications to tell you what the average wage or your definition of "average wage" might be :)

mckryptyk
September 3rd, 2007, 10:12 AM
Mostwanted:

"There's no minimum wage in Denmark, but all wages are from about 95-100 kr and up (~$18 ) in all trades due to the power of unions in Denmark. I make $23.5 an hour in my job (and I made $19.5 in my previous and first job) and I'm just a student taking a gap year."

I don't know much about Denmark but I assume, that inflation has reared it's ugly head in your country because if most people are making what you say they are, then I can only imagine what the cost of basic necessities are. (I would still visit someday, pictures of your country are beautiful)

"It's not so much what you make but "What you make in comparision to what you can get for it."

Purchasing power of your money is much more important than the sheer amount of money that you get. (take Japan and it use of the Yen, for instance.)

Full Discloser: I used to live in a country that had socalized medicine and many unions, It was a beautiful place but, purchasing power was not very great.

Cheers.

thisllub
September 3rd, 2007, 10:30 AM
More interesting is the median wage especially when compared to the average.

For the last 10 years here the difference between the two has been growing markedly showing that the rich are getting richer and the poor can suck eggs.

MaximB
September 3rd, 2007, 10:46 AM
More interesting is the median wage especially when compared to the average.

For the last 10 years here the difference between the two has been growing markedly showing that the rich are getting richer and the poor can suck eggs.

You can say that again !

mostwanted
September 3rd, 2007, 10:53 AM
Mostwanted:

"There's no minimum wage in Denmark, but all wages are from about 95-100 kr and up (~$18 ) in all trades due to the power of unions in Denmark. I make $23.5 an hour in my job (and I made $19.5 in my previous and first job) and I'm just a student taking a gap year."

I don't know much about Denmark but I assume, that inflation has reared it's ugly head in your country because if most people are making what you say they are, then I can only imagine what the cost of basic necessities are. (I would still visit someday, pictures of your country are beautiful)

"It's not so much what you make but "What you make in comparision to what you can get for it."

Purchasing power of your money is much more important than the sheer amount of money that you get. (take Japan and it use of the Yen, for instance.)

Full Discloser: I used to live in a country that had socalized medicine and many unions, It was a beautiful place but, purchasing power was not very great.

Cheers.

Inflation is below the EU average (which is about at 2%) and I believe it has been fairly low for a while. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Scandinavian economies, but they're all very egalitarian which is both an advantage and an issue for those living here. If you look up Denmark in income distribution rankings you'll find we have one of the lowest income differences in the world. If you're looking for really high income jobs they're probably harder to come by here.

It's true that if you look at the actual purchasing power statistics the money is worth less inside Denmark than it is worth in the USA, but that has more to do with the decline of the US Dollar. Compared to the rest of Europe we're not that bad off.

SupaSonic
September 3rd, 2007, 11:21 AM
Less than 5 bucks in Estonia. That is just pathetic, especially compared to the other EU countries.

The worst thing is that people get paid n times more for doing the same job abroad. Now I made myself sad. :( Oh well, what are you gonna do...

mckryptyk
September 3rd, 2007, 12:50 PM
Inflation is below the EU average (which is about at 2%) and I believe it has been fairly low for a while. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Scandinavian economies, but they're all very egalitarian which is both an advantage and an issue for those living here. If you look up Denmark in income distribution rankings you'll find we have one of the lowest income differences in the world. If you're looking for really high income jobs they're probably harder to come by here.

It's true that if you look at the actual purchasing power statistics the money is worth less inside Denmark than it is worth in the USA, but that has more to do with the decline of the US Dollar. Compared to the rest of Europe we're not that bad off.

This is good to hear ! :)

Purchasing power is what is ultimately important when it comes to "Economies of scale". For instance, what is the point of making 100,000 units of money (local denomination) when a loaf of bread is equal to 1000 units of money. A person may as well make 100 units of money when a loaf of bread cost one unit of money. (It would be the same.)

How could 100,000 equal 100 ? You might ask.
Well without getting into a drawn out explanation, the answer is "Economies of scale" and/or "Purchasing power". (Look it up, feel free to)

To actually bring this post back to the purchasing power statistics pertaining to Denmark, I would like to say that I'm glad to see such very low inflation statistics. (but inflation statistics are not exactly the sole measurement used in determining purchasing power, However, I am glad to see inflation is low there.
This will bring more manufacturing jobs to Denmark in the future.

May I ask if your country is in a "Economic Boom" right now ?

Cheers.

mostwanted
September 3rd, 2007, 01:34 PM
This is good to hear ! :)

Purchasing power is what is ultimately important when it comes to "Economies of scale". For instance, what is the point of making 100,000 units of money (local denomination) when a loaf of bread is equal to 1000 units of money. A person may as well make 100 units of money when a loaf of bread cost one unit of money. (It would be the same.)

How could 100,000 equal 100 ? You might ask.
Well without getting into a drawn out explanation, the answer is "Economies of scale" and/or "Purchasing power".

To actually bring this post back to the purchasing power statistics pertaining to Denmark, I would like to say that I'm glad to see such very low inflation statistics. (but inflation statistics are not exactly the sole measurement used in determining purchasing power, However, I am glad to see inflation is low there.
This will bring more manufacturing jobs to Denmark in the future.

May I ask if your country is in a "Economic Boom" right now ?

Cheers.

There was a boom 2004-2006 which brought down unemployment a couple of percentage points (it's 3.2% now). Right now our extreme progressive tax system is the thing that's keeping down growth.

I doubt there are going to be more manufacturing jobs in any western country in the future, no matter how low inflation is. Denmark has based its economy on services, not manufacturing. The trend is for manufacturing industries to move to countries with cheaper labour because manufacturing is less knowledge-intensive than R&D and trade.

mckryptyk
September 3rd, 2007, 02:23 PM
There was a boom 2004-2006 which brought down unemployment a couple of percentage points (it's 3.2% now). Right now our extreme progressive tax system is the thing that's keeping down growth.

I doubt there are going to be more manufacturing jobs in any western country in the future, no matter how low inflation is. Denmark has based its economy on services, not manufacturing. The trend is for manufacturing industries to move to countries with cheaper labour because manufacturing is less knowledge-intensive than R&D and trade.

You are correct.

First there will be a distinct lack in manufacturing jobs, then there will be an increase in service jobs, (to replace displaced workers) as more manufacturing is exported overseas or to places like India. (For example only due to being land-locked with Europe and Middle-East although having ocean available)

This is the an inevitability that can not be avoided . All western nations in their current incarnation are geared towards the service industry.

This is whether the average person there knows it or not.

All western nations at some point become a "manufacturer of ideas" , rather than a manufacturer of goods.

This leaves that nation's people with no choice but to invent new ideas or provide innovative services. (in terms of their competition with them selves)

All business trends (such as off-shoring jobs) will eventually swing full pendulum, although not necessarily to the same degree they once originally did.

Cheers.

bonzodog
September 3rd, 2007, 03:02 PM
Well, the minimum wage here in Ireland is 8.65 euros per hour.

Most people now earn around 10 euros an hour, putting us in the $16-20 dollar bracket.

I am personally salaried, and making people salaried, even for basic jobs is more popular than paying an hourly rate, due to the high hourly minimum wage. I know cleaners who are on salaries rather than being paid by the hour.

I earnt 26,000 euros last year delivering bread to supermarkets in a ford transit van.

kknd
September 3rd, 2007, 03:12 PM
The average in Brazil?

Lets see... R$ 1500 / (8*24) = 7.8125 / 1.8 = 4,34$.

mckryptyk
September 3rd, 2007, 03:33 PM
Well, the minimum wage here in Ireland is 8.65 euros per hour.

Most people now earn around 10 euros an hour, putting us in the $16-20 dollar bracket.

I am personally salaried, and making people salaried, even for basic jobs is more popular than paying an hourly rate, due to the high hourly minimum wage. I know cleaners who are on salaries rather than being paid by the hour.

I earnt 26,000 euros last year delivering bread to supermarkets in a ford transit van.

This is exactly my point.

You are providing a service (driving goods from A to B, last year), as are the cleaners. (cleaning things that are not clean)

Before I left the country I used to live in, I used to own a small cleaning business :)

BTW, I paid by the job (piece-work/ per-job, but paid above maket value).

kknd:

The average in Brazil?

Lets see... R$ 1500 / (8*24) = 7.8125 / 1.8 = 4,34$.

What is your current cost for purchasing a middle-income house ?

This would put things in perspective for me
I'm actually curious to know. :)

Cheers.