PDA

View Full Version : A good DVD writer

PmDematagoda
September 3rd, 2007, 06:21 AM
I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a good DVD writer, the brand I use, Sony keeps losing the ability to read and write to CD's after one year, so I was wondering if there is a better brand of DVD writer's out there.

jimrz
September 3rd, 2007, 06:24 AM
I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a good DVD writer, the brand I use, Sony keeps losing the ability to read and write to CD's after one year, so I was wondering if there is a better brand of DVD writer's out there.

Lite-On do a nice job for me on several machines

PmDematagoda
September 3rd, 2007, 06:28 AM
Does anyone know if the blueray ROMS have been released? I might consider buying them if they are available:).

nhydra
September 3rd, 2007, 08:42 AM
Pioneer, Plextor!
Plextor are the best but the price is the best too. The old names TEAC and LG are not the same now and their production is like sony.
So, I suggest Pioneer.Very good, stable for good price.

mips
September 3rd, 2007, 09:17 AM
Plextor is the best as far as I know but also the most expensive.
Lite-On is also very good. What concerns me though is that you say your Sony drives don't last, thing is they use Lite-On mechanisms, so it is basically a rebranded Lite-On. I've had great success with Sony drives, only reason I buy them is that i cant find Lite-On drives locally.

PmDematagoda
September 3rd, 2007, 09:17 AM
I'll take a look at Lite-On and Plextor, do you suggest any specific models as well?

PmDematagoda
September 3rd, 2007, 09:20 AM
I don't know why it happens but both my Sony DVD-ROM's I've had cannot read/write CD's after about one year. It's strange.:confused:

Kowalski_GT-R
September 3rd, 2007, 09:24 AM
in a money-no-object situation I would say Plextor.

otherwise, I am using a Samsung device: cheap as chips and has never let me down. Others may prove me wrong though.

hope this helps, ciao,

Andrea

mips
September 3rd, 2007, 10:14 AM
It's strange.:confused:

Strange indeed! Do you use your optical drives a lot, more than others ?
My current Sony DVD writer is over 2.5 yrs old and still going fine.

As for which models to get, go for the latest/fastest and look at some reviews/benchmarks. The Plextor PX-800A & PX-810SA are their current top of the line dvd burners and cater for PATA & SATA so you have a choice as to the interface. They also have a Blu-Ray burner but I don't know about that.

For LiteOn the latest burners are the LH-20A1H/L/P models. Dunno the differences between them.

Now you just need to figure out if you want to pay about $30 more for the Plextor over the LiteOn.

PmDematagoda
September 3rd, 2007, 10:21 AM
mips

Strange indeed! Do you use your optical drives a lot, more than others ?

Yes I do use the optical drives a good amount, but the weird thing is I use more DVD's than I use CD's.:confused:

Tom Mann
September 3rd, 2007, 10:28 AM
Go for the Pioneer 111D, pretty quiet, can be made region free for your DVDs and costs approx £15-£20 quid :KS:KS:KS

PmDematagoda
September 3rd, 2007, 11:03 AM
Tom Mann:-

Go for the Pioneer 111D, pretty quiet, can be made region free for your DVDs and costs approx £15-£20 quid

I'll check that out as well, sounds nice.:):)