PDA

View Full Version : Server issues

ubuntu-geek
November 18th, 2004, 05:46 PM
The dedicated server the forums are hosted on is having some lockup issues. I am currently looking at the situation. I'll post updates here when I have more information.

UPDATE: THE SITE WILL BE DOWN TONIGHT BETWEEN 6PM and 11PM EST.

TravisNewman
November 18th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Yeah I noticed this. Thanks for keeping us informed :)

zenwhen
November 18th, 2004, 08:26 PM
It looks like we missed the noon lockup that we had for the past two days. Now to just avoid that nightly one. :)

ubuntu-geek
November 18th, 2004, 09:26 PM
It looks like we missed the noon lockup that we had for the past two days. Now to just avoid that nightly one. :) ](*,)

Definatly a hardware problem just waiting for someone to get back to me.. Today has been the worst day 3 lockups :(

zenwhen
November 18th, 2004, 10:19 PM
I didnt notice them, so we can just pretend they didnt happen. :grin:

jdong
November 18th, 2004, 11:36 PM
[OT] punishment from "the above" for not hosting Ubuntu forums on Ubuntu.... :-D

ubuntu-geek
November 19th, 2004, 01:25 AM
[OT] punishment from "the above" for not hosting Ubuntu forums on Ubuntu.... :-D
Find me a place to get a dedicated server that will install Ubuntu :) heh

Crisp
November 19th, 2004, 02:10 AM
Actually I'm sure I've seen one or two hosting companies that allow you to install whatever OS you like, if it's on a dedicated server. They'll do it for you at setup, and you can of course install whatever software you need to. I can't remember URL's or anything, but I'm sure a quick look at Google would yield some interesting results. That's if you're really bothered about changing OS/host =)

-Crisp

ubuntu-geek
November 19th, 2004, 07:13 PM
My provider replaced the CPU and memory last night, so far 12 hours without a lockup. I hope it continues.

ubuntu-geek
November 21st, 2004, 06:16 PM
My provider replaced the CPU and memory last night, so far 12 hours without a lockup. I hope it continues. Well I guess its not going to work out with this company.. The stability of this server and lack of support is horrible. ](*,)

zenwhen
November 21st, 2004, 07:47 PM
Darn. Yeah, I noticed the forums were down for a few secs this morning. Oh well, I'll follow these forums wherever they wind up. :)

oddabe19
November 21st, 2004, 08:47 PM
You're my hero ubuntu-geek. :-k

easy_target
November 22nd, 2004, 04:33 PM
Hello folks

I noticed the server was down a few minutes this morning. Maybe it is really a good idea use another company.
Thanks for all your support guys. Without you a newbie like myself would be completely lost in the ubuntu (debian) world! The how to's are excellent! (I know it is a little bit off topic but I wanted to do it anyway)

:wink:

ubuntu-geek
November 22nd, 2004, 04:41 PM
Hello folks

I noticed the server was down a few minutes this morning. Maybe it is really a good idea use another company.
Thanks for all your support guys. Without you a newbie like myself would be completely lost in the ubuntu (debian) world! The how to's are excellent! (I know it is a little bit off topic but I wanted to do it anyway)

:wink:
Yes, I already got a new server setup and am in the process of configuring it and making the dns updates. :)

amoser
November 22nd, 2004, 07:23 PM
Why don't you switch to this company http://www.netsonic.net/. I know is sounds a little crazy, but they are the company that is now hosting Distrowatch, so they have to be good, right?

~Alan

ubuntu-geek
November 22nd, 2004, 07:41 PM
Why don't you switch to this company http://www.netsonic.net/. I know is sounds a little crazy, but they are the company that is now hosting Distrowatch, so they have to be good, right?

~Alan
Yeah I looked at them.. I contacted Ladislav at distrowarch.org also to see his experience so far, However after doing some more research some major red flags popped up that made me choose another company.

JsPr
November 23rd, 2004, 12:15 AM
This might be the wrong place to post this but since the server switch the "mark forums read"
doesn't work. The posts are still "unread". Anybody else that have this problem?

Regards, Jesper

shimon
November 24th, 2004, 11:27 AM
what specs are the server

eNiNjA
November 25th, 2004, 12:48 PM
The dedicated server the forums are hosted on is having some lockup issues. I am currently looking at the situation. I'll post updates here when I have more information.

UPDATE: THE SITE WILL BE DOWN TONIGHT BETWEEN 6PM and 11PM EST. hehe...stupid linux...errrrrr, i mean stupid server

*kick

:-\"

jdong
December 7th, 2004, 09:20 PM
no need to stick this anymore...