PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy one?

NET WT
September 3rd, 2007, 05:15 AM
What do you guys think about SanDisk's Sansa Clip mp3 player? Does anyone here have one? Because I was thinking of buying one for a family member. And would like for it to work on Linux, just in case they decide to use Linux in the future. Does anyone know if it uses UMS?

SanDisk Sansa Clip mp3 player (http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(1363)-SanDisk_Sansa_Clip.aspx)

aysiu
September 3rd, 2007, 07:15 PM
I don't know about Sansa Clip, but I have a Sandisk MP3 player, and it works fine with Linux (appears as a USB drive, onto which I drag and drop songs).

motang
November 23rd, 2007, 09:56 PM
What do you guys think about SanDisk's Sansa Clip mp3 player? Does anyone here have one? Because I was thinking of buying one for a family member. And would like for it to work on Linux, just in case they decide to use Linux in the future. Does anyone know if it uses UMS?

SanDisk Sansa Clip mp3 player (http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(1363)-SanDisk_Sansa_Clip.aspx)

Well I just got a Sansa Clip and I wasn't able to get it working but found out that after you install MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) from Synaptic it works.

So go into Synaptic, and search for MTP
Find something called mtp-tools
Install that

After the installation is done you can drag and drop files on to the Music folder on your Sansa Clip.

PartisanEntity
November 23rd, 2007, 10:17 PM
Sorry, I don't know anything about Sansa, my Archos Gmini XS 200 (20GB) shows up as a drive, so I would recommend their mp3 players.

NET WT
November 29th, 2007, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the replies, but I have decided not to buy them the Sansa Clip. I don't like how it requires MTP, and I want one with more than 2GB of storage. I will look around for one that I like better.

tmcarson1
December 16th, 2007, 11:55 PM
I just purchased a Sansa Clip and I love it, sounds great, very small and sturdy.

I haven't got it to work with ubuntu yet, still looking to get that done, but I dual boot anyway so I sync it with windows for the time being.

It was quite affordable, found it online for only $40, I liked it enough I went back and bought 2 more to give as gifts.

Hope this helps.

bobbocanfly
December 17th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the replies, but I have decided not to buy them the Sansa Clip. I don't like how it requires MTP, and I want one with more than 2GB of storage. I will look around for one that I like better.

A Sansa e200 Series player might be better in this case. Anything from 2gb to 8gb, completely Linux friendly and Hardware Version 1 is supported by Rockbox. They are not that expensive either (~£50 ($100USD)) for the 2gb one.

NET WT
December 17th, 2007, 09:03 AM
A Sansa e200 Series player might be better in this case. Anything from 2gb to 8gb, completely Linux friendly and Hardware Version 1 is supported by Rockbox. They are not that expensive either (~£50 ($100USD)) for the 2gb one.

That is one that I am considering. I have not tried Rockbox yet, but it seems neat and it's nice that it supports it. I am going to buy something soon, because it's almost Christmas.

99bluefoxx
December 18th, 2007, 07:43 PM
i just purchased one of these last week[an e200] and it works rather nicely under linux, infact better than under winblows, i tried it on one that boots windows and it crashed the sansa:(
they were on sale e260 for $99.99 CDN at future shop last week
i say go for it[beats the hell out of iphod]

staticvoid
December 18th, 2007, 07:46 PM
most sansas only read the ID3 tags I think for info...

NET WT
January 21st, 2008, 06:18 AM
I still have not bought my Mom an mp3 player. And It is taking me forever to decide on one. I still do want to buy her one. And will eventually. If I ever do buy one, I will let you all know which one I got for her.

slowtrain
June 20th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Just got a Sansa Clip for my wife. It initially didn't register on my Ubuntu Hardy system, but after uplugging it and connecting a second time, the system had no trouble seeing it. Didn't need to switch to MSC mode manually. The Clip has very positive reviews for sound quality on CNet. I've tried them w/ Grado headphones--great sound, even for the classical FM station.

I still have two problems:

1) After copying over a folder created by Sound Juicer (Artist > Album Name > music files), the Sansa Clip displays the entire album as "unknown". Does anyone know how I can get it to display artist and album name?

2) I can't get OGG to play on the device. Apparently, I need to upgrade to upgrade the firmware to 1.01.29a. Not sure I trust the firmware downloads available on a user website. Will probably wait till I can use my wife's PC to install using the firmware updater. Wish SanDisk made that directly available.

slowtrain
June 22nd, 2008, 06:47 AM
I've made some advances!

The good news: I installed the new firmware using the company's installer in my wife's PC. It installed a more recent version of the firmware than available via Linux bulletin boards. Also, once the firmware was updated, the device has no problem reading artist and album. Whew!

The bad news: Got caught in some real weirdness uploading songs to the device both via Windows media player and transferring files on Linux. Mainly something others have noted on these boards: The Windows machine does not see any of the files put on by Linux and vice versa. I don't know if this is because it stuck stuff on a different partition (fdisk -l reveals a multitude of non-linux partitions on the Sansa Clip) or because the device automatically shifts from MSC to MTP mode between the two machines. What I do know is that once I put the device in forced MSC mode, the machines can see each other's files.

I guess the biggest problem now is that when the Clip is plugged into our stereo system, the system can't shuffle the tunes. Am wondering whether there some way to give it a randomized playlist? (Am new to MP3 players.)

Cheers!

NET WT
July 5th, 2008, 12:21 AM
My sister just bought a 4GB Sansa Clip. It does work with Ubuntu after setting it to MSC. Although most of the time it doesn't show up, after plugging it in. But after typing:

lsusb

Into the terminal, it then shows up on the desktop. After that we are able to put music onto it. We are using Ubuntu 8.04

Ioky
July 5th, 2008, 06:49 AM
if you are looking for just a music player, it is like the best one you can find in the market. it is small, light, support a lot of format, ever Ogg. (need to upgrade the frameware.) I have one for myself, and I love it so much. It has everything I wish for.

barbedsaber
July 5th, 2008, 07:13 AM
get one that supports OGG, well, just a suggestion.

NET WT
July 6th, 2008, 02:58 AM
All of our music is mp3. And although ogg support would be nice, it is not very important for me anymore. I think I do like the Clip though, and will probably buy her one of those.

timesarehard4dreamers
November 22nd, 2009, 09:56 PM
I have it's successor the Clip+ and its great, i set it to MSC mode so it appears as a USB drive (2 drives with it's MicroSDHC card slot). I got the 4gb an i'm using a 8gb card with it (can use up to 16gb an soon 32GB cards!)

Works in Banshee and rhythmbox nicely.