PDA

View Full Version : Good HD TV Tuner Card

nickburns
September 3rd, 2007, 04:24 AM
I want to get a myth tv box up and running. anyone have a good idea for cards that work well with myth that turn hdtv?

quadomatic
September 3rd, 2007, 04:34 AM
Oh man, I remember I tried getting a MythTV box working a couple years ago. I never got to finish it, because I got satellite TV a few days after I started, with free DVR. I didn't think the MythTV box would work with the Satellite TV either. I'm still not sure how it would change the channel on a Satellite TV.

ANYWAYS, if Hauppage makes an HD TV Tuner Card, you should probably go with that. It'll probably be pretty expensive though.

If you decide not to go with HD, get a Hauppage card anyway.

UPDATE: WOW

This looks pretty good, and is supposed to be supported by MythTV

http://www.pchdtv.com/

I have to say, that the price on that is very good. 2 years ago, a Hauppage PVR-150 cost $100, and it didn't even record HD!

It certainly seems like things have changed from 2 years ago. I guess Software Encoding tuners aren't worth the money anymore.

It looks like you can get a Dual Tuner Hauppauge card for $140 now.

Crashmaxx
September 3rd, 2007, 04:43 AM
I use a PVR-500 in my mythtv box, but I don't have HD to capture obviously. Here is a list of HD cards, look through them and see what works and would be best for you.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Category:HDTV_capture_cards

And a note, the free Zap2It listing service has shut down. But a new service called SchedulesDirect has come up. But you have to pay $5 a month ATM, but it should hopely go down to $20 a year soon. And you will need the 20.2 version of myth, which is in Pre-Release repos ATM, but should be in the normal ones soon.

Hope that helps, MythTV is awesome, a lot better then my TiVo was honestly.

quadomatic
September 3rd, 2007, 05:01 AM
Wait a minute...aren't HD TV Tuners illegal? At least in the USA?

EDIT: Never mind, the ruling was overturned.

I'll be saving up for an HD Antenna and one of these pcHDTV cards then. Free HDTV, with no HD TV, here I come!

This will actually be an investment that will probably won't become obsolete for a LONG time, unlike most multimedia related investments. Heck, I could use this for the next decade or so.