PDA

View Full Version : Assembly recursion and memory consumption

xlinuks
September 2nd, 2007, 11:42 AM
Hi, I'm currently learning assembly.
I have the following recursion (from a book) which computes the factorial of 4 (the code itself is not too important in our case, the main idea is that it contains an example of a recursion)::

.section .data
.section .text

.globl _start
.globl factorial
_start:
pushl $4
call factorial
addl $4, %esp
movl %eax, %ebx
movl $1, %eax
int $0x80

.type factorial, @function
factorial:
pushl %ebp
movl %esp, %ebp

movl 8(%ebp), %eax
cmpl $1, %eax
je end_factorial

decl %eax
push %eax
call factorial
movl 8(%ebp), %ebx
imull %ebx, %eax

end_factorial:
movl %ebp, %esp
popl %ebp

ret

Every time when the function gets called (in this case from inside itself) a new stack frame is created/allocated, and the old stack frame of the functions called before don't get dismissed because they will quit after the control returns to them. Does that mean that we have an explosion of portions of RAM consumption? I mean - for a while we create a bunch of stack frames. What if it wasn't 4 but 2000000000 (2 billion) ?
Am I missing some point? Please help.

CptPicard
September 2nd, 2007, 11:46 AM
Does that mean that we have an explosion of portions of RAM consumption?

In short, yes. :) Welcome to the wonderland of unoptimized tail recursion. This is why you will prefer to implement factorial as a loop, because you can.

(I wouldn't call it an explosion, though. It's just linear growth. Try something with exponential time for an example of explosion -- those usually run in log space though :) )

xlinuks
September 2nd, 2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks a lot, that's the question that's been plaguing me while learning that chapter of the book - ain't it too expensive and slow compared to a loop?
I feel better now :)

aks44
September 2nd, 2007, 12:21 PM
What if it wasn't 4 but 2000000000 (2 billion) ?

As a side note, if you tried to compute the factorial of 2 billion, you'd overflow 32-bit integers at 13!, and as a wild guess I'd say that 64-bit integers overflow somewhere around 20!.

Given that the result wouldn't be correct in any case, I wouldn't bother too much about the stack frames...

Better do the multiplication beforehand, check the overflow bit, and exit with an error if it is set. ;)