PDA

View Full Version : K/Ubuntu DVDs and using CDs and DVDs as Repositories

user1397
September 1st, 2007, 03:56 PM
Just a few questions:

1) Why are there separate Kubuntu and Ubuntu Live DVDs? As I understand it, the Live DVDs contain the main and restricted repositories, as well as being able to install the graphical way, the alternate text-mode way, OEM installs, and server installs. But, the Ed/X/K/Ubuntu -desktop meta-packages are all in the main repository. So shouldn't there only be one DVD? (A Live DVD that lets you choose between the four flavors of Ubuntu?)

2) If you add a kubuntu desktop CD to your repositories list and if you're using Ubuntu, can you install the kubuntu-desktop package from the CD? From the alternate CD? From the Live DVD?

user1397
September 2nd, 2007, 01:39 AM
bump

airtonix
September 2nd, 2007, 07:59 AM
1) reasons why there isnt one cd/dvd for all flavours are these :

+ a dvd is 4.7gb ... many cant afford to download this much to get their computer initially running.
+ its good to have a package for the enviroment you want....makes dealing with problems later in support easier. helps narrow down problems.
+ I for one am very antsy about using KDE libs in my systems, so by having a gnome only disc or an xfce only disc i can be assured ( without having to engage in field research ) that i wont be installing non-synergistic components.
+ also, becuase the discs are seperated by falvour, i can also be assured that my sub-ordinate monkeys will not confuse kubuntu with ubuntu...

and lastly :
abundance = choice = freedom
scarcity = control = power

becuase choice is a good steam release valve for restricited societies.
and scarcity is only good for meglomaniacs who have the finances that allow them to deny the reality of the world for a short period of time.

2) yes i think so..

that is all

user1397
September 2nd, 2007, 04:22 PM
1) reasons why there isnt one cd/dvd for all flavours are these :

+ a dvd is 4.7gb ... many cant afford to download this much to get their computer initially running.
+ its good to have a package for the enviroment you want....makes dealing with problems later in support easier. helps narrow down problems.
+ I for one am very antsy about using KDE libs in my systems, so by having a gnome only disc or an xfce only disc i can be assured ( without having to engage in field research ) that i wont be installing non-synergistic components.
+ also, becuase the discs are seperated by falvour, i can also be assured that my sub-ordinate monkeys will not confuse kubuntu with ubuntu...

and lastly :
abundance = choice = freedom
scarcity = control = power

becuase choice is a good steam release valve for restricited societies.
and scarcity is only good for meglomaniacs who have the finances that allow them to deny the reality of the world for a short period of time.

2) yes i think so..

that is all1) but the DVDs all have the ubuntu-desktop and kubuntu-desktop packages, which are ubuntu and kubuntu (respectively) in themselves. So why can't you just install straight from one DVD any flavor you like to? (trust me, I'm all about choice; I am just asking if things can be made more convenient or easier for the end user; like said user could just download one DVD to install any flavor of ubuntu in any way that is possible...but currently, he has to download like 4 different DVDs for each specific flavor.)

user1397
September 26th, 2007, 11:43 PM
bump

user1397
November 6th, 2007, 01:12 AM
nothing?

happysmileman
November 6th, 2007, 01:19 AM
1) but the DVDs all have the ubuntu-desktop and kubuntu-desktop packages, which are ubuntu and kubuntu (respectively) in themselves. So why can't you just install straight from one DVD any flavor you like to? (trust me, I'm all about choice; I am just asking if things can be made more convenient or easier for the end user; like said user could just download one DVD to install any flavor of ubuntu in any way that is possible...but currently, he has to download like 4 different DVDs for each specific flavor.)

No currently you only have to download one 700MB CD to have a full install, maybe a DVD with them all would be good, but I won't download 4.7GB just to install something that should be 700MB on a 512kbps connection

user1397
November 6th, 2007, 03:18 AM
No currently you only have to download one 700MB CD to have a full install, maybe a DVD with them all would be good, but I won't download 4.7GB just to install something that should be 700MB on a 512kbps connectionyes, I understand that, all I am saying is that since the meta packages of the four official flavors of ubuntu (K/X/Ed/Ubuntu) are all in the main repository, which itself is entirely included on the DVD, then why not have the option of choosing to install any of those flavors from that single DVD?

I am not considering any other factors, such as slow internet connections, individual preferences, or anything, I am just asking whether this is feasible?

user1397
November 7th, 2007, 09:01 PM
bump

maybeway36
November 7th, 2007, 09:07 PM
You'd think they could add more preseed files. In the meantime, you can do a command-line install and sudo apt-get install stuff.

user1397
November 8th, 2007, 12:09 AM
You'd think they could add more preseed files. In the meantime, you can do a command-line install and sudo apt-get install stuff.yep.

I'm not actually installing ubuntu anywhere, I am just thinking about this from a theoretical point of view.