PDA

View Full Version : Males that Play as females in online games.

Andrewie
September 1st, 2007, 03:50 PM
This is kind of a weird topic but does it bug anyone?

Steveway
September 1st, 2007, 03:53 PM
You don't expect any women in an online-game to be a woman in real life, do you?
About 90 percent of those out there are men.

Paul820
September 1st, 2007, 03:58 PM
Maybe it's some strange fantasy they always wanted to act out. :)

Andrewie
September 1st, 2007, 04:08 PM
it doesn't bug me at all, but some people really freak out over it

jrusso2
September 1st, 2007, 04:14 PM
Don't assume all females in games are males, me and my friends used to play Everquest and we had a female guild.

dashnak
September 1st, 2007, 04:17 PM
Doesn't bug me at all...

Andrewie
September 1st, 2007, 04:19 PM
Don't assume all females in games are males, me and my friends used to play Everquest and we had a female guild.

I have a female and a male character in guild wars, I really don't see anything wrong with it. Its just a game

FuturePilot
September 1st, 2007, 04:26 PM
I don't play online games, but it wouldn't bug me if I did.

starcraft.man
September 1st, 2007, 04:36 PM
Just a thought but this isn't really new... I'd like to remind you of one of the most widely played games of all time. The Metroid series, whose protagonist is Samus Aran a woman.

Now I realize that it's not exactly the same as an online game which is arguably more "real" especially in how you interact. That said, the last few Metroid Prime games were pretty damn real in some way or other and no one's ever been bothered.

In the end I don't see a problem. A character you assume online is whatever makes you happy and certainly never has to do one bit with reality whether it's elf/dwarf, fighter/mage or man/woman it's just a game. If it bothers so much simply don't ask the question. Oh and there are quite a few female gamers so don't count them out, I happen to know a good chunk.

PatrickMay16
September 1st, 2007, 04:49 PM
Hey ladies. Heh heh hAAAAAAAAGHGGHGHG

SOULRiDER
September 1st, 2007, 04:55 PM
When I played Lineage 2 at first I allways sued male characters but eventually I got very very bored of them. Besides... have you seen male dwarve sin that game? Believe me.. youll gonna want to use a female...

Anthem
September 1st, 2007, 05:14 PM
Dunno. Does it freak you out when women play male characters?

Andrewie
September 1st, 2007, 05:16 PM
Dunno. Does it freak you out when women play male characters?

I play with both sexes so it doesn't freak me out at all

DoktorSeven
September 1st, 2007, 05:22 PM
MMORPG = Many Men Online Role Playing Girls.

It's fine, doesn't bug me.

forrestcupp
September 1st, 2007, 05:42 PM

Just out of curiosity, why did you do that?

Kingsley
September 1st, 2007, 05:46 PM
It pisses me off only if they do it to get money off unsuspecting lonely nerds. In an MMORPG I played a while ago, I had a friend that shemaled tons of items of "her" boyfriends. I had a good laugh when he got found out.

Lucifiel
September 1st, 2007, 05:58 PM
Hmmm... nothing wrong with that.

Especially in FPS: sometimes, the female characters make it easier to dodge all those rockets 'n bullets.

hidey
September 1st, 2007, 06:02 PM
It's just more fun to watch a female character run through endless fields than a male one. :p

Lucifiel
September 1st, 2007, 06:12 PM
It's just more fun to watch a female character run through endless fields than a male one. :p

Assuming you're het and not bi or homosexual. ;)

jrusso2
September 1st, 2007, 06:29 PM
Just out of curiosity, why did you do that?

Why did we make a female guild? Well it was a group of friends and it started kind of as this sisterhood evil guild, kind of a a coven of witches.

It was the most fun guild I was ever in. Too bad that infighting ended up being the end of it.

ticopelp
September 1st, 2007, 06:38 PM
No. The whole point of playing a game like that is to get into another persona. Why would I want to play someone exactly like myself? I do that every day.

Besides, it's not like you're really changing your gender. It's pixels on a screen.

As for victimizing "unsuspecting lonely nerds," they deserve whatever they get. Anyone who assumes a person's online persona or character in a game is exactly what they're like in real life has got to have rocks in their head.

Steveway
September 1st, 2007, 06:47 PM
And you don't really want to look at a mans butt all the time while playing if you could look at some boobies. ^^

Fonon
September 1st, 2007, 06:49 PM
It kinda sorta bugs me when if you ask and they don't tell you the truth, but...in just a normal setting it's OK, I guess...

fuscia
September 1st, 2007, 10:15 PM
i think it's wrong. gives us real girls a bad reputation.

VChief
September 1st, 2007, 10:52 PM
And you don't really want to look at a mans butt all the time while playing if you could look at some boobies. ^^

Most of the guys I know that play WOW have a female character for that exact reason. :) And I admit, I rolled a female blood elf. I couldn't help it. They're hot. ;)

some_random_noob
September 2nd, 2007, 12:37 AM
Most of the guys I know that play WOW have a female character for that exact reason. :) And I admit, I rolled a female blood elf. I couldn't help it. They're hot. ;)

Good grief. You look down your own WOW characters shirt? Gross! You should get implants. Then you could look at yourself whereever you go! :lolflag:

SOULRiDER
September 2nd, 2007, 01:45 AM
It pisses me off only if they do it to get money off unsuspecting lonely nerds. In an MMORPG I played a while ago, I had a friend that shemaled tons of items of "her" boyfriends. I had a good laugh when he got found out.

I used to dot hat sometimes, but i felt too guilty afterwards :P

VChief
September 2nd, 2007, 07:02 AM
Good grief. You look down your own WOW characters shirt? Gross! You should get implants. Then you could look at yourself whereever you go! :lolflag:

Don't think I haven't thought about it. :) My wife just gave me this look.

TeaSwigger
September 2nd, 2007, 07:25 AM
While I don't play online games myself, the question made me liken it to writing. A lie is a lie and it's not cool in my humble if a person is intentionally playing on another by decieving them about their own gender. Something wrong there, and has an icky sleeze about it doesn't it? But if a person is playing it because they're more interested in the character, fine. The game can be a sort of story they're enacting. The gender of an author can have little to no difference in their ability to to write of and for a character of the opposite gender. Sometimes an author may actually be more involved, or do "better" work with, a character of opposite gender. Likewise I guess a gamer and a character.

Reminds me of comics too. Male character? Put together the optional shades, a big ole chin or an unmowed field of stubble and about five hundred pounds of pure rippling muscle mass and... meh. Probably should add a cape, massive weapons, and something else like an extra arm or ten if one is to keep both the artist and the reader awake. A female character, however... ah which would most folks rather draw? The female I suspect.

Besides us guys are a beaten-down to middlin' lot aren't we? Ladies can be so much more interesting... ;)

Rupertronco
September 2nd, 2007, 08:00 AM
I think people who are adamantly against playing female characters are too involved in their video games. It's a character, it's fantasy, I dont think the sex of the character should be a big deal. I didn't ever play female characters when I played WoW, but I have to admit, the female undead had the best casting animations by far.

mrgnash
September 2nd, 2007, 08:09 AM
Given the choice, I always play a female character in any game -- online or off. If only Lethe was real, and one were presented with such a choice at its banks! ;) I don't like men in any way, and certainly don't want to be one, sigh.

But anyway, I hate MMORPGs, and don't play them anymore, but when I did, I always told other people what my anatomical sex was, if they asked.

airtonix
September 2nd, 2007, 08:10 AM
mmorpgs are fantasy worlds not replicas of reality.

hence if you ask me what my sex is where i live then im going to feel like ....

blowing your brains out or calling the anti-stalking sqaud.

What gives you the right to presuppose that you deserve to know who I am?

your invading my real world privacy. stop it

mrgnash
September 2nd, 2007, 08:14 AM
sorry there not too involved in their video game....they are too invovled in bringing their real world feminist bullcrap into a escapist world.

just you try it...go on.

goto the supermarket and start telling everyone how milk is bad for you, how red meat give s you cancer, tell them that they are cattle etc etc etc.

watch how fast you get shunned.

Right... that certainly made sense...

OffHand
September 2nd, 2007, 01:00 PM
mmorpgs are fantasy worlds not replicas of reality.

hence if you ask me what my sex is where i live then im going to feel like ....

blowing your brains out or calling the anti-stalking sqaud.

What gives you the right to presuppose that you deserve to know who I am?

your invading my real world privacy. stop it

Get real :lolflag:

Crashmaxx
September 2nd, 2007, 02:18 PM
I think there are two separate and different issues here. There are people that use a female character, and then there are people that 'pretend' to be female.

As for using a female character, I'm sure most people don't really care. Sometime they have better abilities and are certainly nicer to look at. Many single player games have you be female, so why not in a MMORG?

But then there are people that truly lie about who they are. They say they are a female when chatting and may even try to seduce players. That is completely different and it makes women look bad, allows them to take advantage of others, and reinforces the idea that there are no actual women on the internet.

Anyway, my bigger point is, that there are two different issues here and they should not be lumped together.

FurryNemesis
September 2nd, 2007, 02:50 PM
Sometimes your character class gets a boost from being different genders. If I'm going to be playing a white mage style character, I'll probably bank on being female just for the stat boost, if there is one. (Yes, I read NuklearPower) If not, then the whackier the better. What happens on the internet under my alter ego stays on the internet as far as I'm concerned.

goumples
September 2nd, 2007, 02:54 PM
I used to play Daoc and WoW. I had a few girl characters, but I never pretended to really be a girl ;(

Andrewie
September 2nd, 2007, 03:31 PM
I think people who are adamantly against playing female characters are too involved in their video games. It's a character, it's fantasy, I dont think the sex of the character should be a big deal. I didn't ever play female characters when I played WoW, but I have to admit, the female undead had the best casting animations by far.

This is what I was talking about at the start of the thread, I don't understand how people can get so mad about it.

ticopelp
September 2nd, 2007, 05:51 PM
But then there are people that truly lie about who they are. They say they are a female when chatting and may even try to seduce players. That is completely different and it makes women look bad, allows them to take advantage of others, and reinforces the idea that there are no actual women on the internet.

I don't see how it "makes women look bad." 90% of the time, I don't assume any stranger I meet on the Internet is genuine. You can pretend to be anyone on the Net -- male, female, of any religion or nationality -- it only comes down to how talented you are at being convincing. Especially on the Net, where you don't need to respond instantly and there are no visual or body language clues to give away the fact that you might be lying.

I don't assume anyone in an MMORPG is the same gender as their character. In fact, the more girly they act, the more I'm convinced they're a guy. If their character is naked and dancing in the middle of Ironforge, I'd say the chances are extremely high. :D

The only people I knew for sure were females playing females were the ones I'd met in real life -- and one of them loved to get her character naked and dance in Ironforge, so you see... you never know.

Andrewie
September 2nd, 2007, 06:54 PM

Anyone getting their view of woman from video games, has far bigger issues at hand.

siralphred
September 2nd, 2007, 07:02 PM
what we should be worried about is males pretending to be female in this forum