PDA

View Full Version : Parental controls... policing your kids

triptoe
September 1st, 2007, 09:25 AM
As much as i disagree with policing your kids (i prefer the trust relationship) i think it would be a good idea for parents to have another option...

Alot of parents want to install parental controls on their kids computers... They have an option of either "whitelisting" or "blacklisting" websites for their kids. Blacklisting does not work because it is impossible to keep track of the plethora of websites out there. That leaves whitelisting as the only viable alternative. The problem with whitelisting is that there are only so many sites the average parent can keep up with. They are thereby restricting access to tons of information that is good and wholesome their kids could get. The answer is having a stumbleupon module for firefox that also has a parental rating.. and using that module to whitelist all sites above whatever the parent choses.

So wouldn' t that be cool?

bobbocanfly
September 1st, 2007, 09:56 AM
sudo apt-get install trust

or if you really want them to be safe

sudo rm -rf /

regomodo
September 1st, 2007, 11:26 AM
use opendns. If you use a free account you can police your comp from anywhere. Has many adult content filters i.e breaks them down into categories if you want to be specific what they can or can't see.

Sp4cedOut
September 1st, 2007, 11:50 AM
I also think schools would want to be able to do that.