PDA

View Full Version : Gutsy Release Party

rhoderickj
September 1st, 2007, 05:34 AM
Alright folks, it's time to start thinking about our Gutsy release party. I don't think we've discussed this yet, but it's on the agenda for this week's IRC meeting (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarylandTeam/Meetings/2007September05). If you want to be involved in the initial planning of the release party, don't miss this meeting. As Gutsy will be released Thursday, October 18, 2007, there's little to debate about the date, unless we have a significant reason to choose an alternative date. Jono has set up a few resources for the LoCos already. Take a look at: Running a Release Party (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BuildingCommunity/RunningReleaseParty)

First things first. We need:

Who: All of our events are open to the public, but do we want to advertise this or is this something we should just be laid back about? Note that this WILL be announced within the Ubuntu community. I'm referring to local advertising.
What: Are we going to do anything special or just meet up for some food, drinks, and chatter?
Time: Start time and end time.

Once we've decided on the time and location, I'll post our information to the official log here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GutsyReleaseParties). Also, after this week's IRC meeting I'll create a page on the wiki for the Gutsy release party containing all of the relevant information. Just to start off the discussion, I'll share a few of my thoughts on the planning.

Who: I'd like to see the team and hopefully some new faces, but I don't think this is something that we should waste time or resources on. Frankly, if I weren't an Ubuntu user and enthusiast, I wouldn't give a damn about a new release. I think our efforts are better spent on more public events.

What: I say we do some installs, hang out, and chat. Let's try to build some team enthusiasm. I think this is a fantastic (and well-timed) opportunity for our team to get acquainted and bring some new people in. Let's use it wisely by not making it overly formal or overly complicated.

Where: We should try to find a place with enough room for all of us with access to both internet and restrooms. Can we use the Howard County Library, or should we look elsewhere? Chuck?

Time: I think we should go for something along the lines of 6-10pm, but this is largely dependent upon our venue, so we should decide on a location before we decide on a time.

Dark Hornet
September 2nd, 2007, 12:09 AM
I live in Howard County...let me know if you need any help with organizing the event, etc.

aboutblank
September 2nd, 2007, 11:53 PM
Here's my opinion:

Who: Keep it within the Ubuntu community. Public advertising would be too much work to bring in a few newbies.

What: I feel like I hardly know our team. I'd like to see a lot of socializing going on! Maybe a few installations, but definitely mainly socializing. Food, drinks, and chairs. Team building.

Time: The only gripe that I have about having it that Thursday is that it's supposed to be a meeting day and as you know, we have matters to discuss during these :-P

Don't get me wrong, I'm really excited for a geek party! I don't get out enough... /sigh

rhoderickj
September 5th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Time: The only gripe that I have about having it that Thursday is that it's supposed to be a meeting day and as you know, we have matters to discuss during these :-P

That's a good point. Do we want to have it on release day? I see no reason why we couldn't push it to another day.

rhoderickj
September 6th, 2007, 03:14 AM
Alright folks. The party has been scheduled. Please see the wiki page for more details. (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarylandTeam/Events/ReleaseParties/Gutsy) If you plan on attending, please add yourself to the attendee list by clicking on the "Edit this list" link. Also, don't forget to update the total tally.

phr0ze
September 7th, 2007, 02:41 PM
There is a bar at this location with some good beers on tap. It is also a good family environment. Feel free to bring a guest.