PDA

View Full Version : KDE 4 Delayed

kripkenstein
August 31st, 2007, 07:33 PM
Looks like KDE 4 is delayed (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.core/45222) til December 20.

Actually this doesn't surprise me at all, given the amount of code written (and rewritten) for this release, there was no way it would be on time. Same principle as Vista ;)

Anyhow, KDE 4 wasn't slated to appear in Kubuntu 7.10 anyhow, so no big problem for us in that respect. However, I am very doubtful that it will make it into Kubuntu 8.04, given that this will be an LTS release and KDE 4 will only be a few months old at that point... but time will tell.

GeneralZod
August 31st, 2007, 07:40 PM
That's a little disappointing - it's been clear for quite a while that a release in KDE 4.0 would be very buggy and rushed, but I would have preferred a "proper" release at that point, together with a press release stating that it would be buggy and incomplete, and not to expect too much - Beta releases never seem to attract as many testers as full releases, unfortunately.

Edit:

However, I am very doubtful that it will make it into Kubuntu 8.04, given that this will be an LTS release and KDE 4 will only be a few months old at that point... but time will tell.

This was actually decided quite a long time ago, IIRC, and would have been the case even with no delay in release.

Erunno
August 31st, 2007, 07:44 PM
The release date is not set in stone yet but it looks like it will be either at the beginning of December (6th is the latest proposal) or that the release will slip into 2008 as there are very few developers around during the christmas holidays.

Nevertheless, judging by the beta releases the delay is really necessary until at least things like panels are in a working state.

miggols99
August 31st, 2007, 08:29 PM
KDE4 is very unstable at the moment, so I think this is right to do. I'd rather wait longer than have something really buggy..

rsambuca
August 31st, 2007, 08:43 PM
Yeah, I think we all agree that it is better to iron out the bugs prior to release.

PetePete
August 31st, 2007, 08:48 PM
what are the main benifits of kde4?
im sure theres plenty but all ive heard of is the faster code

starcraft.man
August 31st, 2007, 08:57 PM
That's a shame. Guess I won't be trying it instead of GNOME for a while.

Lster
August 31st, 2007, 09:00 PM
It's a shame, but I guess it's better this way.

ComplexNumber
August 31st, 2007, 09:21 PM
well, there's a surprise.....not.
Vista Mark II

i said many months ago that it's going to be delayed because i couldn't ever see it being ready for september/october. i doubt that it will be ready for december either. i was reading this earlier over at OSNews:
http://apaku.wordpress.com/2007/08/27/wheres-the-kde4-desktop/ (http://vizzzion.org/?blogentry=727)
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;339066012

juxtaposed
August 31st, 2007, 09:30 PM
No worries, better delay it then release it with problems. I just hope it isn't like vista; Delayed but not that great at all.

weatherman
August 31st, 2007, 09:31 PM
not surprising at all.

tehkain
August 31st, 2007, 09:48 PM
Poor fedora 8, or maybe lucky fedora 8 since they do not have to risk such a default. KDE4 needs this delay.

nrs
August 31st, 2007, 09:50 PM
Vista Mark II

i said many months ago that it's going to be delayed because i couldn't ever see it being ready for september/october. i doubt that it will be ready for december either. i was reading this earlier over at OSNews:
http://apaku.wordpress.com/2007/08/27/wheres-the-kde4-desktop/ (http://vizzzion.org/?blogentry=727)
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;339066012

They've got 3.8 years before it becomes a Vista.

tehkain
August 31st, 2007, 09:59 PM
They've got 3.8 years before it becomes a Vista.

And all the good features would have to be removed. Then they need to focus only on creating drm.

Andrewie
August 31st, 2007, 10:03 PM
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/469/050411darthvaderhmed23paq2.th.jpg (http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=050411darthvaderhmed23paq2.jpg)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

does this affect Ubuntu in anyway?

tehkain
August 31st, 2007, 10:10 PM
does this affect Ubuntu in anyway?

No and it helps kubuntu. Make the LTS look even better since kde4 will only been 4 months old rather then 6. And Fedora 8 will not have kde4 so less people will do the whole 'kubuntu is not cutting edge enough compared to X other stable OS'.

happysmileman
August 31st, 2007, 10:19 PM
No and it helps kubuntu. Make the LTS look even better since kde4 will only been 4 months old rather then 6. And Fedora 8 will not have kde4 so less people will do the whole 'kubuntu is not cutting edge enough compared to X other stable OS'.

I'm assuming there will still be an alternate 8.04 CD with KDE4 (obviously not LTS)

phrostbyte
August 31st, 2007, 10:34 PM
I got a feeling it won't make it into 8.04, but 8.10. But it should be a damn fine release. KDE has some serious potentional, I just wish it had more devs.

happysmileman
August 31st, 2007, 11:15 PM
I got a feeling it won't make it into 8.04, but 8.10. But it should be a damn fine release. KDE has some serious potentional, I just wish it had more devs.

It won't be on 8.04, but I've heard they were going to release an alternate CD with KDE4 for the curious, won't be LTS though, will probably be unsupported, just for people who really want it.

igknighted
August 31st, 2007, 11:18 PM
Poor fedora 8, or maybe lucky fedora 8 since they do not have to risk such a default. KDE4 needs this delay.

Fedora decided a while back to delay KDE4 and ship KDE 3.5 with Fedora 8.

No and it helps kubuntu. Make the LTS look even better since kde4 will only been 4 months old rather then 6. And Fedora 8 will not have kde4 so less people will do the whole 'kubuntu is not cutting edge enough compared to X other stable OS.

Dude, chill out. Ubuntu vs. Fedora vs. Whatever other distro are stupid. Linux is linux! Who cares if 20 million people use Fedora and 10 million use Ubuntu or vice versa... all that matters is that 30 million people are using linux.

Darkhack
August 31st, 2007, 11:31 PM
Not surprising at all. In fact, my original estimates for it were Q2 2008. I was pretty shocked when I heard the planned October release date.

PhatStreet
August 31st, 2007, 11:36 PM
Vista Mark II
That's a new one...

luca.b
September 1st, 2007, 02:34 PM
Comments like "it's like Vista Mark II" are not helpful at all. As a matter of fact, the attitude of part of the community (in general, even on the dot I see this) is rather annoying.
If you don't like it, either:

a. Don't use it;
b. Step in and help.

Negativity brings nothing to developers, supporters or users.

Lord Illidan
September 1st, 2007, 02:40 PM
I always thought it was rather ambitious, and judging by the work done so far, was actually rather suprised by how early it would be finished.

But, it's better this way, I guess, true. That way more bugs can be ironed out. Even Dapper was delayed, remember? And what about Debian?

23meg
September 1st, 2007, 03:02 PM
Vista Mark II

Well, there's a surprise.....not.

Anthem
September 1st, 2007, 03:42 PM
Count me with those who think that even saying the word "Vista" is completely uncalled for when discussing KDE4. It's a far more ambitious upgrade, done in far less time.

Good decision by the KDE devs.

Castar
September 1st, 2007, 06:26 PM
Definitely a good choice. KDE4 has to be as good as possible so that it kickstarts a new age in the Linux Desktop.

rsambuca
September 1st, 2007, 06:35 PM
I am starting to think that KDE4 is going to disappoint a lot of people, not because it is bad, just for the fact that it seems like the hype surrounding this is immense! It is going to be impossible to live up to some peoples expectations!

Freddy
September 1st, 2007, 07:58 PM
I for one was rather happy about these news. I don't use either Gnome or KDE but I believe this forum would be flooded with "hate" posts if the first "stable" release of KDE 4.0 was somewhat buggy.

I have never understood the "hate" a lot of Gnome users has for KDE and vice versa. Even some of the moderators on this forum uses the first chance they get to bash KDE. I really cant stand that type of behavior. I'm a fan of Gnome, I love KDE, I adore XFCE, I often use Openbox but mostly use Enlightenment17 and I have no need to bash anything if I don't find a certain DE or WM usable, guess what I don't freaking use it, why bash it?!?

/Freddy

Epilonsama
September 1st, 2007, 08:04 PM
I for one was rather happy about these news. I don't use either Gnome or KDE but I believe this forum would be flooded with "hate" posts if the first "stable" release of KDE 4.0 was somewhat buggy.

I have never understood the "hate" a lot of Gnome users has for KDE and vice versa. Even some of the moderators on this forum uses the first chance they get to bash KDE. I really cant stand that type of behavior. I'm a fan of Gnome, I love KDE, I adore XFCE, I often use Openbox but mostly use Enlightenment17 and I have no need to bash anything if I don't find a certain DE or WM usable, guess what I don't freaking use it, why bash it?!?

/Freddy

I guess ppl just want an excuse to say why they are superior for using GNOME, KDE, Apple, Windows, its not gonna end but at least we could enforce against to much bashing.

Freddy
September 1st, 2007, 08:12 PM
I guess ppl just want an excuse to say why they are superior for using GNOME, KDE, Apple, Windows, its not gonna end but at least we could enforce against to much bashing.
Yeah I guess you're right but it gets somewhat tiresome when no one can have a serious discussion about KDE (or Gnome) without the thread getting destroyed by a couple of morons, I mean even some of the moderators is behind this sometimes.

I have seen a increase of this kind of boring behavior in the last two years or so but I guess that is because the growth of userbase and the 1337 kiddies that has started to use GNU/Linux and believe that it is what they are using that is superior and everyone else should be converted.

Ohh well, I know my post won't change anything and the next attempt by a forum user to have a serious discussion about either KDE or Gnome will fail in at least the second page (if that long).

/Freddy

tehkain
September 2nd, 2007, 01:32 AM
Fedora decided a while back to delay KDE4 and ship KDE 3.5 with Fedora 8.

Dude, chill out. Ubuntu vs. Fedora vs. Whatever other distro are stupid. Linux is linux! Who cares if 20 million people use Fedora and 10 million use Ubuntu or vice versa... all that matters is that 30 million people are using linux.

I am not trying to claim that. I am just saying people who make those claims wont have fuel to flame on. I am a ubuntu user so why would i bash on it! I am a fedora user too. Competition is good - claiming and bashing is bad.