PDA

View Full Version : Do you compile your own kernel?

triptoe
August 31st, 2007, 06:02 PM
Just curious... Who compiles their own kernel?

And what reasons do you do it for?

metallicamaster3
August 31st, 2007, 06:18 PM
I do, and for more hardware performance out of the OS. Gives me more room to work with.

Nikron
August 31st, 2007, 06:22 PM
I do, for gensplash

Erunno
August 31st, 2007, 06:31 PM
I did when I was still using Gentoo but it really is not worth it unless you really need the driver support of a newer kernel.

SZF2001
August 31st, 2007, 06:34 PM
Oh God, I wouldn't know where to start.

Someday.

blithen
August 31st, 2007, 06:37 PM
Oh God, I wouldn't know where to start.

Someday.

EXACTLY how I feel.

tszanon
August 31st, 2007, 06:45 PM
I don't compile it. Up to now, I don't think I should, because I don't need to. The generic kernel for amd64 is good enough in my opinion.

Luinar
August 31st, 2007, 07:18 PM
I dabbled with compiling my own kernel last year on my server box - mainly out of wanting to learn new stuff and also to see how much of a performance boost I could get (the machine was a Pentium III 450Mhz), although I will admit in order to so I had to follow a guide on these forums (don't have it bookmarked any more, but I assume it would still be in the archives somewhere). It did give a noticeable improvement in performance too, I intend to compile my own kernel for my current machine when I have the time/patience to get around to it.

That and it earns me geek points! :p

rickyjones
August 31st, 2007, 07:47 PM
The only time I've ever compiled my own kernel was when I used Gentoo... then I decided that this is too much for me, the average user, so I'll stick to distros that don't require me to compile my own kernel.

I've been happy ever since. :)

-Richard

BoyOfDestiny
August 31st, 2007, 08:17 PM
Just curious... Who compiles their own kernel?

And what reasons do you do it for?

I did it once about a year ago... Honestly, I was just curious.
According to many users of some other OS (door... gate... the name eludes me for the moment...) compiling a kernel on Linux was required know-how.
I just wanted to see how it looked like (it's pretty neat actually, and I got to use a nice ncurses gui for some parts).

:KS