PDA

View Full Version : HAHA The words of an ignorant fool.(not me)

GPollos
August 31st, 2007, 04:57 PM
i bet you guys have encountered this a million times. The annoying Windows Zealots...

here is a transcript of my IM convo with him. Apparently Linux is unstable piece of crap.. his words not mine.

---Begin---
11:40:27 AM) fender__@hotmail.com: its just to gay and crashs easy
(11:41:22 AM) fender213@hotmail.com: its gay,,, the only thing its good for is running game cabnits
(11:45:06 AM) Andrew: ummm, what version of linux did u use again?
(11:45:21 AM) fender__82@hotmail.com: i dont know,,, the one thats on the ITG cabnit
(11:45:53 AM) Andrew: yah, I bet, the modern distros are stable, more than windows
(11:46:23 AM) fender__82@hotmail.com: idc,,, linux still sucks *** lol
(11:46:41 AM) Andrew: the words of an ignorant fool
(11:47:57 AM) fender__82@hotmail.com: no,, the words of somone who doesnt like gay operating systems
(11:49:26 AM) Andrew: yep you are definitely a windows zealot
(11:49:31 AM) fender__88@hotmail.com: XD
(11:50:51 AM) fender__87@hotmail.com: let me ask you this,,, how hard would graphic design be without GUI (This is just a stupid question, I wasn't even talking about the CLI)
(11:51:02 AM) fender__86@hotmail.com: hmmm?
---End---
As a side note, the CLI is much faster than clicking buttons and/or trying to give text/speech instructions about where to click and type, poeple have to learn this, Break the windows noobish spell
How should I convince the zealot that Linux is great? granted running the adobe creative suite is not exactly the best on linux but well, You can always dual boot...

Ozor Mox
August 31st, 2007, 05:09 PM
You don't need to convince them that Linux is great as they obviously have no desire to give it a try, as evident by the way they talk about it. Just feel bad for them instead for calling an operating system "gay".

popch
August 31st, 2007, 05:12 PM
The obvious answer to give to such a person would be 'yes, it's too difficult for you to use.'

mostwanted
August 31st, 2007, 05:15 PM
Why do you care enough to talk back to them? Don't feed the troll.

marx2k
August 31st, 2007, 05:16 PM
You could also mention that 'graphic design' was around before graphical user interfaces were around.

Dave Crowhurst
August 31st, 2007, 05:17 PM
What is a "cabnit" :confused:

happysmileman
August 31st, 2007, 05:19 PM
Just say it's too hard for him to use... In fairness even if you got him to try it, he'd hit a snag, come on here calling us all gay and then leave

dasunst3r
August 31st, 2007, 05:49 PM
At best, your acquaintance sounds like he has a very limited vocabulary. "Gay" is a term that certain people identify with, and using "gay" as a slur only promotes hatred and bigotry. You can do one of two things: (1) Show him a real GUI the next time you meet him (that gets many people stunned and silent) or (2) Let him keep paying out his nose for an operating system that doesn't play nicely or treat users with dignity and respect.

Celegorm
August 31st, 2007, 06:13 PM
I don't see where his comment about graphical design needing a GUI comes into play.... It's the application that needs a GUI for graphical design, not the OS. As far as trying to convince him that linux is awesome, steer the conversation more towards particulars and facts which can be substantiated rather than vague past experiences and opinions, and give him references. For instance, "my friend's linux server has been up continuously for the past 2 and a half years" or "There are only about 30 known linux viruses in the entire history of the operating system, most of which exploited vulnerabilities which were quickly patched, and none of which still exists 'in the wild,' compared to the approximately 140,000 known windows viruses. If you don't believe me look here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virus_statistics)." Also, realize you are never going to convince someone "linux is awesome" just with good arguments and logic since that is, after all, an opinion. It's more fun to make them look at the facts and realize how unsubstantiated their biased and prejudiced opions are, anyway :biggrin:

forrestcupp
August 31st, 2007, 08:32 PM
It's ok for some people to use Windows. We don't have to convert everyone.

dca
August 31st, 2007, 08:35 PM
It's ok for some people to use Windows. We don't have to convert everyone.

Yeah, but forrest, I don't want to use a 'gay' operating system.... :D

karellen
August 31st, 2007, 10:11 PM
i bet you guys have encountered this a million times. The annoying Windows Zealots...

here is a transcript of my IM convo with him. Apparently Linux is unstable piece of crap.. his words not mine.

---Begin---
11:40:27 AM) fender__@hotmail.com: its just to gay and crashs easy
(11:41:22 AM) fender213@hotmail.com: its gay,,, the only thing its good for is running game cabnits
(11:45:06 AM) Andrew: ummm, what version of linux did u use again?
(11:45:21 AM) fender__82@hotmail.com: i dont know,,, the one thats on the ITG cabnit
(11:45:53 AM) Andrew: yah, I bet, the modern distros are stable, more than windows
(11:46:23 AM) fender__82@hotmail.com: idc,,, linux still sucks *** lol
(11:46:41 AM) Andrew: the words of an ignorant fool
(11:47:57 AM) fender__82@hotmail.com: no,, the words of somone who doesnt like gay operating systems
(11:49:26 AM) Andrew: yep you are definitely a windows zealot
(11:49:31 AM) fender__88@hotmail.com: XD
(11:50:51 AM) fender__87@hotmail.com: let me ask you this,,, how hard would graphic design be without GUI (This is just a stupid question, I wasn't even talking about the CLI)
(11:51:02 AM) fender__86@hotmail.com: hmmm?
---End---
As a side note, the CLI is much faster than clicking buttons and/or trying to give text/speech instructions about where to click and type, poeple have to learn this, Break the windows noobish spell
How should I convince the zealot that Linux is great? granted running the adobe creative suite is not exactly the best on linux but well, You can always dual boot...

why bother talking with a moron like that one? leave him alone, with his stupidity

red_Marvin
August 31st, 2007, 10:32 PM
Please don't convert him, I'd hate for someone to promote linux with those arguments...

Lord Illidan
August 31st, 2007, 10:36 PM
Aye...better off there, than here.

ThinkBuntu
August 31st, 2007, 10:36 PM
Feisty Fawn? What 'gay' names! Vista, as we all know, is for large manly men with formidable moustaches.

aysiu
August 31st, 2007, 10:38 PM
I don't see how this thread continuing will somehow evolve into being in line with the "Humanity Toward Others" approach of Ubuntu.