PDA

View Full Version : questions about water cooling

nerdman978
August 31st, 2007, 02:46 AM
Wow. Has it been a long time since I visited my beloved Ubuntu forums. And now once again I must confide in my fellow geeks for information.

Currently I am constructing a computer, and physically the building is done (saving software for later). I knew I wanted water cooling, and I didn't want to burn $250-$400 for the Zalman Reserator series, so I went with the Thermaltake Big Water 735 to cool my CPU (with water! gasp!). Anyway, it appears to me that the coolant isn't moving fast enough through the tubes. Is it supposed to move quite literally like molasses?

Here are some other random system specs if it helps.

Thermaltake Armor Case (its a BEAST)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.11 GHz (I plan to overclock later though)
BFG nForce 650i Ultra motherboard
BFG GeForce 8800GTS O'C 320MB
Sound Blaster Audigy 4
(no HDD yet, thats the last step)

Spr0k3t
August 31st, 2007, 04:07 AM
Some reservoirs will move slow... very slow depending on the aqua blocks. I've not use the Tt Big Water, but I think building your own water cooler is better than forking over for some premade system.

On that note, air cooling is just as sufficient as watercooling, unless you have plans to overclock many systems down the road. If you are setting up your first watercooling system, make sure the setup will transfer over to the next system you build.

Me, I just use 4 120mm fans for the case. One of them is 92mm for the side though. The system runs fairly cool, even overclocked.

Dark Hornet
August 31st, 2007, 04:53 AM
I dabbled a little with water cooling, and with the case you (and I) are both using--by the way, it is a Beast!....anyway...there was not much of a difference in the water cooling, and the standard fans that come with that case. Right now I am running the 8800GTX (768), AMD FX-57, 4 gigs RAM, 3 Hard Drives, etc, etc. and things are running just as cool as with the water. One other thing to note---as I am sure you are aware--when you are building your system, wire mgmt. in the case is key, as it will allow for more air to flow through your system...anyway, good luck, and I hope this helps.

nerdman978
August 31st, 2007, 06:04 PM
The liquid is moving so slow that it doesn't effectively cool the CPU and my system shuts down before I fry my CPU.