PDA

View Full Version : Just for entertainment:Would you like to see&use animated gifs for your forum avatar?

RAV TUX
August 31st, 2007, 02:42 AM
Simple question, not that it would make a difference about anything changing, but would you like to see and use animated gifs for your forum avatar.

If so, what would you use?

Would you donate for this service?

Ok, have fun with this one.

%hMa@?b<C
August 31st, 2007, 02:44 AM
I personally would not mind, but those with slower internet connections would suffer.

Scarlett
August 31st, 2007, 02:50 AM
I haven't even found a non-animated av yet.

I wouldn't want one, I find them distracting. On other sites I visit I'm forever adding new moving, glittering, glowing, bouncing, shifting and swaying graphics to my ad-block filter.

duff
August 31st, 2007, 03:25 AM
I'm for it.

starcraft.man
August 31st, 2007, 03:54 AM
No. Gifs are annoying as avatars. Not to mention the other issues, just not needed.

PrimoTurbo
August 31st, 2007, 03:59 AM
Waste of bandwidth, annoying when reading posts. There is really no need of for them imo.

Spr0k3t
August 31st, 2007, 03:59 AM
I'm with Scarlett on this on. ABP is my friend.

Scarlett
August 31st, 2007, 04:04 AM
I'm for it.

Right click
Adblock Image
OK

Bye bye, Monkey Boy! I just thank gord no one's come up with audio gifs. Developers, developers, developers!

eph1973
August 31st, 2007, 05:38 AM
That .gif that duff is running reminds me of what it looked like on the web before I started using adblock. I would hate to have to adblock a billion different annoying avatars, like the one duff posted (no offence duff). Although it did make me chuckle, for the purpose of this discussion.

FuturePilot
August 31st, 2007, 05:51 AM
I love funny gifs.
This one might be good
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t243/LinuxTechie/26zo.gif
:lolflag:

smartboyathome
August 31st, 2007, 05:58 AM
I say no because they are annoying (it distracts you from what you are really trying to do - read).

slavik
August 31st, 2007, 06:07 AM
gif is not free as in freedom. or is it now?

Celegorm
August 31st, 2007, 06:43 AM
I just thank gord no one's come up with audio gifs. Developers, developers, developers!

Did anyone else just feel a chill?

Tux Aubrey
August 31st, 2007, 07:03 AM
I find animations to be annoying.
:guitar::guitar::lolflag::guitar::guitar::lolflag: :lolflag::guitar:

Spr0k3t
August 31st, 2007, 07:21 AM
gif is not free as in freedom. or is it now?

It's free use now. Edit: the patent is no longer valid as of October 1 2006. I still don't use GIFs though.

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/1772

Sunflower1970
August 31st, 2007, 12:59 PM
I'm neutral on the issue. :) Sometimes they're very, very funny. But after a while I find myself not even looking at them, whether static or animated....

Otherwise, I like cheetos :D

forrestcupp
August 31st, 2007, 01:59 PM
It's pretty irrelevant. The forums used to allow animated avatars, didn't they? If I remember right, they stopped allowing them because they were distracting.

red_Marvin
August 31st, 2007, 03:48 PM
I think that a well animated gif can be a good avatar, but if only static avatars are allowed, there's no reason to keep the big and/or animated smilies, because they distract even more, since they are in the text body, and often mucks with the formatting.

So since the forum even now allows these smilies, I think that animated avatars is no problem, I'd rather have them and remove the big/animated smilies actually...

derekr44
August 31st, 2007, 03:49 PM
/shrug

RAV TUX
August 31st, 2007, 11:35 PM
It's pretty irrelevant. The forums used to allow animated avatars, didn't they? If I remember right, they stopped allowing them because they were distracting.It's hard to code with the distraction of animated avatars. ;)

aysiu
August 31st, 2007, 11:37 PM
Unsolicited animations are annoying.

eukhost.com
September 1st, 2007, 12:03 PM
I prefer the static ones, Animated GIFs in avatars can be annoying at times.

Lord Illidan
September 1st, 2007, 12:10 PM
This forum had animated gifs as avatars, but in truth I prefer it how it is now..they were too distracting.

RAV TUX
September 1st, 2007, 02:08 PM
I forgot the other option....

Option #11...no avatars at all ;)

forrestcupp
September 6th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I guess it's possible to have animated avatars. Check out diesel1's avatar (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=41360).

matthew
September 6th, 2007, 05:27 PM
It's pretty irrelevant. The forums used to allow animated avatars, didn't they? If I remember right, they stopped allowing them because they were distracting.

This forum had animated gifs as avatars, but in truth I prefer it how it is now..they were too distracting.
From the Forum FAQ (http://ubuntuforums.org/announcement.php?f=48)

Why can't I use an animated gif as my avatar?
In the past (up to sometime near the end of 2005) users were allowed to use animated gifs as avatars. This ended when there was a sudden wave of really distracting and obnoxious flashing, gaudy avatars. (Honestly, can you concentrate on information when looking at animated avatars like these (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1741535#post1741535)?) Rather than make a long list of what is an isn't acceptable for animated avatar usage and then forcing the staff to monitor and police their use it was decided that they would be banned altogether. Those users who had appropriate animated avatars at the time were allowed to keep them and so you may see a small number of them floating around the forums. If/when those users decide to change their avatars they will not be allowed to replace the current animated gifs with another animated avatar but will have to choose an regular non-moving picture like the rest of us.

argie
September 6th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I don't like animated avatars. That red cowpigthing going in a circle is hilarious though. So random.

brennydoogles
September 6th, 2007, 05:38 PM
I guess I could see where you guys are coming from, but couldn't an exception be made for this one (which was made by my wife :) ) :p

awakatanka
September 6th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Hate those animated smilies, but they made it in because the admins find them funny, so put those animated avatars also in, just to make things right.

notwen
September 6th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Could care less, occasionally one will make me chuckle. That said, there's plenty of non-animated avatars that make me chuckle. =]

n3tfury
September 6th, 2007, 08:04 PM
another vote for no.

sanderella
September 6th, 2007, 08:42 PM
No.:KS