ashvala
August 30th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Is there any other os that you like?

justleen
August 30th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Tru64... transparent cluster drive, only /boot is cluster member only

cybrid
August 30th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I'd like to try SkyOS and FreeBSD but currently have no time to install-test. :( . Windows XP fully patched works fine, if it just wasn't propietary software.

maxamillion
August 30th, 2007, 04:16 PM
debian, FreeBSD, Solaris, NexentaOS but anyone who would like to try out a BSD or Solaris please read the documentation because there will be many differences that might confuse the newcomer.

ubuntukerala1980
August 30th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I like to try FreeBsd in future.

LaRoza
August 30th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Slackware, Pardus, Zenwalk, Knoppix, Sidux

These are my favourites.

ashvala
August 30th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Darwin, Debian, ubuntu, Mandravia is all i like

mips
August 30th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Is there any other os that you like?

Do you not maybe mean distribution as people are all listing linux distributions.

Dragonbite
August 30th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I like the glossy, "completed" feel of openSuse.
I like the simple-but-stable feel of CentOS
I like the customizability of Gentoo.
I like the just-works feel of WindowsXP.
I like Ubuntu. I can fool around with the others all I want because I know if I either get bored of them, they can't do what I want, or they crash/trash my system I can pull out the Ubuntu CD, install it over whatever was there, and I've got a good, working, do-everything system that I like.

WanderingKnight
August 30th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Do you not maybe mean distribution as people are all listing linux distributions.

Linux is just a kernel. It doesn't make for a complete OS.

eljoeb
August 30th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I like Windows XP and Puppy Linux (for my laptop).

happysmileman
August 30th, 2007, 06:57 PM

This way people have a choice of whether ot not to list distributions or OSes, this way people cna list BSD or Solaris and stuff.

Oh and I'd like to try out BSD, but don't really have the room to put it on drive, and I'm having enough trouble with Gentoo on my external so maybe in a year or two :P

FyreBrand
August 30th, 2007, 07:01 PM
I like Kubuntu for development and flexibility.
I like Windows Vista for it's stability and compatibility.
I like Xubuntu and Wolvix for their simplicity and low resource demand.
I like RavTux's Oz for it's awesomeness.

DjBones
August 30th, 2007, 07:01 PM
I thought SkyOS looked pretty swank but it seems that its not FOSS..
ah well, solaris & BeOS are a little funky but BSD is tight

if were talking about distributions and not completely different operating systems then i'd have to say slack/gentoo/debian or when im feeling lazy zenwalk/sidux haha

MellonCollie
August 30th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Vista, and Fedora.

ryno519
August 30th, 2007, 07:25 PM
The two OS's I really like are Ubuntu and FreeBSD. I'm sure there are others I'd really like if I tried them, but I'm not very adventerous.

tcpip4lyfe
August 30th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Slackware 10.2
Novell 6
XP
Fedora is ok.

I tried Xubuntu and I uninstalled it because I couldn't cut and copy with middle click and doing multiple things at once wasn't as fast as feisty.

Matakoo
August 30th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Windows XP - when it works as I want it to (that is...when it has been insanely tweaked)
AmigaOS
MacOS

tehkain
August 30th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Debian, Fedora, Suse, OpenSolaris, and a few others are wonderful and I like them very much.

Technically speaking, putting aside buiness practices of the company, I like OS X. Its a great unix desktop system - technically.

I perfer the, or a, Free Software Operating System/Dekstop tho.

tbrminsanity
August 30th, 2007, 08:39 PM
As for full OSs:
AmigaOS (Truly one of the best OS ever created)
MacOS (When you trouble shoot computers all day this one is a Godsent)
ReactOS (Windows ++)
Minix (Because it is the base for the OS I'm creating)
Syllable (Because it is nice)

Linux Distros:
Ubuntu (Linux for everyone)
Ubuntu CE (the added tools are great and should be in Ubnuntu standard)
Xubuntu (I would not have made it through school with out it)
LinuxMCE (because it made my media centre kick @$$!)
SUSE (to show I'm not a total Ubuntu fanatic, best KDE implementation I have seen to date)

jeyaganesh
August 30th, 2007, 11:18 PM
I like Symbian S60 and UIQ:):lolflag:

RAV TUX
August 30th, 2007, 11:25 PM
I like RavTux's Oz for it's awesomeness.

Hey Thanks for the good word about Oz I am glad you enjoy it.

I primarily use Oz GNOME 1.0.

I also like PC-BSD, elive, Wolvix, NepaLinux and KNOPPIX.

Also JUXlala! is completely cool for kids.

ashvala
September 1st, 2007, 05:38 AM
Well.... I just like Linux & Darwin OS X

tbrminsanity
September 8th, 2007, 08:08 PM
I'm surprised by the higher then average number of AmigaOS fans here. It's a shame what happened (and is happening) to that once great OS.

mips
September 8th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I'm surprised by the higher then average number of AmigaOS fans here. It's a shame what happened (and is happening) to that once great OS.

We are a pretty diehard bunch, just cant let go ;)

I still think it was the best systems as a whole and years ahead of the competition at the time. The memories....

karellen
September 8th, 2007, 09:58 PM
opensuse, xp and vista

Darkhack
September 8th, 2007, 11:47 PM
I think all operating systems have at least something to be liked about them.

Knoppix - This was my first Linux distro and alternative operating system to Windows. At the time the only computer in the house was a family computer that my brother and I used for school reports and my parents needed it for email and online bill paying, so it was kind of crucial that I didn't break it. Too afraid of doing so and facing my families wrath, I decided to try the LiveCD for a while and I really enjoyed it.

Mepis - First alternative OS that I installed. It was a breeze by the way. I like the installer from several years ago on Mepis better than I like Ubuntu's installer today. It was just that simple and pain free. I remember seeing the "Installation Complete" dialog and thought, "what, *that* was the installation? I thought it was just pre-configuring". It was fast and it asked as few questions as possible with a GUI installer much like the LiveCD that Ubuntu has had from Dapper onward.

OpenSuse - Hated it. 5 CDs to install and YaST was slower than a second grader after sniffing glue.

Red Hat / Fedora - Very clunky. Lots of CDs to install like Suse and my hardware didn't seem to work right under both Red Hat 7.3 and Fedora 4. RPM is the worst package management system in the Linux world.

Ubuntu - Love it! It's easy, works with my hardware, regular releases, 18 months of support, LTS releases for three years of support, online support via IRC and forums, up to date software that is stable without being older than my grandmother (a la Debian) yet not too new that it is unstable or breaking all the time.

Windows XP - Wasn't as bad as people say it is. I know not to download random executables and know how to use a firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware applications.

Windows 98 - I hated it at first. Blue screened several times per day. However for the last couple of years of support, before Microsoft officially dumped it, all those years of patches had made it incredibly stable. It eventually become solid as a rock.

Windows 2000 - Never had it for my own personal use, but I've used it at school. I liked it. Stable, with a better file system than previous versions.

Windows Vista - Only used at school. Didn't like it because it required a monster to run and I saw no major improvements over XP. It was all minor stuff, plus all the hardware compatibility problems that people are now facing.

Mac OS X 10.4 - I used this only at school, but I used it more than any other OS at school. I was the web developer for my high school's website. Used Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and even Final Cut Pro for movies. I liked it a lot. The dock was a little weird and took some time to get used to. The dock still seems to make less sense to me than a taskbar, but that is just my opinion. The brushed metal applications looked dumb and out of place. Safari was too feature limiting, and Finder was one of the worst applications I have ever used. Trying to use Finder to manage files was like trying to run a marathon with your pants pulled down around your ankles and everyone is laughing at you.

Gentoo - If I knew what the hell I was doing I might like it better. It's great for a customized system. I wouldn't use it for speed though because I don't know enough about GCC to know which arguments to use to get the best performance anyways, plus I would spend all weekend compiling for a few millisecond improvements. When you need an application fast, it is really annoying to have to compile it.

OpenBSD - It was the only BSD I've ever used and I only tried it in a virtual machine. I admire it for its security. It isn't practical on the desktop and even as a server I wouldn't like it because the support cycle is only one year long and updates aren't as smooth as they are in the Linux world.

SkyOS - Never used it but it looks very interesting. Very admirable how far it has come with such a small development team. Robert Szeleney is an insanely fast and skilled programmer.

In the future, I'd like to try FreeBSD and OpenSolaris.

Ptero-4
September 9th, 2007, 12:19 AM
SlackWare 12.0
Mac OS 9
FreeDOS

and for those who want me to put linux on their boxes,
kubuntu.

amazingtaters
September 9th, 2007, 12:31 AM
I would like to try FreeBSD and I am currently working (read as waiting for free time to actually devote to this) on getting Damn Small Linux working on my flash drive.

voided3
September 9th, 2007, 01:02 AM
I have a Macbook Pro with Tiger on it and a bunch of desktops running a variety of OSes, but my main setups always have used Ubuntu and WinXP dual booted. I tried Vista once and despite the comp's AMD Athlon XP 2500+, 2 GB of RAM, and 256mb x1300 pro being way over spec based on MS's website, it dragged like a dog sled being pulled by a kitten. I spent about two days tweaking the crap out of the registry and even used the classic skin but I just couldn't get it to go as fast as XP. I also have a self built breifcase computer w/ a PIII @ 800mhz and 512mb of RAM that dual boots Win98 for my old games and Puppy Linux for something that actually works with everything else. I think Puppy is a great piece of work, especially since it made a comp I had w/ a 633mhz Celeron and 192mb of RAM super friggin faster than it ever should have been (ran Quake III at 1600x1200 on full without many issues, with a MX440 64mb AGP card in it). I also use DSL on my relic computers, being a 450mhz K6-III w/ 160mb and a 200mhz Pentium w/ 72mb. For being as tiny as it is, it sure is usable. Of course, one could point out that it uses all older kernels and programs, but then again, think about what it works on and think of what your alternatives are (Win98/95/3.1.... at least this works with USB!).

Sporkman
September 9th, 2007, 02:30 AM
I like to try FreeBsd in future.

Me too.

altariel
September 9th, 2007, 06:34 AM
well, I have in fact used FreeBSD longer than Linux :)
(1996/1997 vs 1999) :)
and am very happy with FreeBSD still ... have FreeBSD 6.2 and Kubuntu 6.10 on my new harddrive now

RAV TUX
September 9th, 2007, 06:37 AM
I have PC-BSD installed on my older computer.

I really like PC-BSD a lot, but I can't see it as my primary OS.

I plan on giving the PC-BSD computer to my parents.

FyreBrand
September 10th, 2007, 04:33 AM
Hey Thanks for the good word about Oz I am glad you enjoy it.

I primarily use Oz GNOME 1.0.

I also like PC-BSD, elive, Wolvix, NepaLinux and KNOPPIX.

Also JUXlala! is completely cool for kids.You're welcome. rPath is very interesting.

I also like Wolvix. I installed Cub and Hunter on some old 386 notebooks at my last job. My boss loved how some old pieces of junk were transformed. Wolvix is a very sleek implementation of xfce. Impressive.