PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Code name

Stemp
August 30th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Yesterday another Ubuntu code name was released by Jono Bacon.
And yet another English nickname.
Isn’t it time to send a message to the community that Ubuntu is not only for English speaking people ?
Without a fluent English you probably cannot be an Ubunbu member, but a lot of people are promoting, using, helping Ubuntu in their own language.
So, what about a code name in Chinese, Spanish, Welsh or Wolof ?

igknighted
August 30th, 2007, 01:46 PM
+1 great idea.

Even being an english speaker I think this is a great idea.

LaRoza
August 30th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Isn’t it time to send a message to the community that Ubuntu is not only for English speaking people ?
Without a fluent English you probably cannot be an Ubunbu member, but a lot of people are promoting, using, helping Ubuntu in their own language.

"Ubuntu" is African, I don't remember which language.

bapoumba
August 30th, 2007, 02:56 PM
+1, sounds good!
You could file a bug report to have this idea checked (against Ubuntu, I suppose) :)

curuxz
August 30th, 2007, 03:44 PM
:confused:

justleen
August 30th, 2007, 03:49 PM
considering Ubuntu is not an english word?
Dont see any reason for that, personally

justin whitaker
August 30th, 2007, 03:56 PM

Not a bad idea at all.

Although I just looked at the translation of Hardy Heron in Arabic, and wondered how the Western centric technolgy media were going to pronounce that. :)

Stemp
August 30th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Not a bad idea at all.

Although I just looked at the translation of Hardy Heron in Arabic, and wondered how the Western centric technolgy media were going to pronounce that. :)

I don't mean a translation. But for the next release the code name will be something like idílico Iguana (don't know if that mean something in Spanish) rather than Idyllic Iguana (I'm sure it doesn't make sense in English) ;)

And after that something with jū in Chinese. etc...

LaRoza
August 30th, 2007, 04:24 PM
I don't mean a translation. But for the next release the code name will be something like idílico Iguana (don't know if that mean something in Spanish) rather than Idyllic Iguana (I'm sure it doesn't make sense in English) ;)

And after that something with jū in Chinese. etc...

+1 for the Iguana reference.

n.aggel
August 30th, 2007, 04:37 PM
i totally agree with the foreign name idea!!!