PDA

View Full Version : Linux support when I wasn't expecting it

FuturePilot
August 30th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Ok, my mom will need to hook up a SMART board to her laptop which, thanks to me, is running Ubuntu:D Now she hates using Windows for things and loves Ubuntu. See, who said you need to be a programmer to use Linux?:lol: Anyways, I needed to download the software for the board, so I go to the manufacturer's website and find the downloads section. I was really only expecting stuff for Windows, and then to my surprise, I saw it. A version for Linux! I nearly fell out of my chair. It was an installer for Autopackage. A few clicks later it was installed. I wanted to send them a donation for that:lolflag:

Just thought I'd share this. Linux is definitely moving forward.

Happy_Man
August 30th, 2007, 03:29 AM
Wow. I........ I did not see that coming. It surprised me. In a good way. Glad to see a major company doesn't have their heads up their asses and supports Linux.

+1 Smart Board peopl

SlayerMan
August 30th, 2007, 08:32 AM
What is a SMART board?

justleen
August 30th, 2007, 09:35 AM
I had (two) a similair expercience with an old (donated) touchscreen.. I simply could_not_get_it_working on windows with the supllied drivers.. on the the manu website, et voila, 5 mins later it worked!

My wife NEVER want to go back to Windows! And she's defitnely an "end-user"

hessiess
August 30th, 2007, 10:08 AM
What is a SMART board?

a large tutch screen desplay that uses a data projector

spoken4
September 3rd, 2007, 06:18 AM
I am having a bit of trouble with delay or lag between writing on the Smartboard and having it appear. I am running Feisty on an IBM R51.
I have had success previously, but this lag has appeared since I dropped the dual boot and run exclusively Ubuntu.
What should I be looking at? Process Niceness perhaps?

KaroSHiv0n
September 3rd, 2007, 07:23 AM
This is encouraging!

beefcurry
September 3rd, 2007, 08:04 AM
Sweet, though we need more devices that say "Works in Windows 98,2000 etc, Mac OSX 10.X and Linux Kernal 2.xxxxx" Half the things I get i wasnt sure if it works with Linux at all. Hardly any have any information about linux at all, but I was glad the otherday the USB card reader I bought included "Redhat Enterprise 5" :)

happy-and-lost
September 3rd, 2007, 09:45 AM
Good old Smart boards... shame they cause permanent eye damage ;)

Happy_Man
September 3rd, 2007, 01:48 PM
Good old Smart boards... shame they cause permanent eye damage ;)
What? No...... really? Since when?

happy-and-lost
September 3rd, 2007, 01:50 PM
What? No...... really? Since when?

Prolonged use of any projection equipment can cause damage to eyes. It seems silly to for teachers to use these boards as in order to teach properly they actually have to look at their class, which sometimes means looking into the light.

quadomatic
September 3rd, 2007, 03:08 PM
I love SMART Boards. They have one in pretty much every classroom now. Not all of them are installed yet. A lot of them are just sitting in enormous boxes, blocking the way.

Do they really cause permanent eye damage?

init1
September 3rd, 2007, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I saw that too. I don't think many people use the linux version, but those who do are very grateful.

wersdaluv
September 3rd, 2007, 03:40 PM
Ok, my mom will need to hook up a SMART board to her laptop which, thanks to me, is running Ubuntu:D Now she hates using Windows for things and loves Ubuntu. See, who said you need to be a programmer to use Linux?:lol: Anyways, I needed to download the software for the board, so I go to the manufacturer's website and find the downloads section. I was really only expecting stuff for Windows, and then to my surprise, I saw it. A version for Linux! I nearly fell out of my chair. It was an installer for Autopackage. A few clicks later it was installed. I wanted to send them a donation for that:lolflag:

Just thought I'd share this. Linux is definitely moving forward.

Can you give the link to the page where you got the software from?

:KS

jeremy
September 3rd, 2007, 05:00 PM
Sweet, though we need more devices that say "Works in Windows 98,2000 etc, Mac OSX 10.X and Linux Kernal 2.xxxxx"...

Shouldn't that be:
"Works in Linux Kernal 2.xxxxx, Mac OSX 10.X and Windows 98,2000 etc."

FuturePilot
September 3rd, 2007, 05:06 PM
http://www2.smarttech.com/st/en-US/Support/Downloads/default.htm
If anyone is curious about this.:)