PDA

View Full Version : Python Popen freezes GUI

Nekiruhs
August 30th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Ok, heres my issue. I'm writing a search-bar style program ala Launchy (http://www.launchy.net/#screenshots). I don't see a great need to implement another search system so I latched on to the find command to do the dirty work for me. I've been using os.popen() to call find with the search text and to get the results. I've noticed that while find is being called my GUI is completely unresponsive, although find is only using 5% of my processor. Is there some other way to call find that would prevent this? Or is this just one of the things I have to accept if I don't want to reinvent the wheel?

Maybe the subprocess module? How would I use it?

Also, how would I make a gtkProgressBar just move back and forth? I have activity mode checked in glade, but when I call progress.pulse() it just moves a little bit. I want it to show that work is being done, but I cant measure how long it will take.

Thanks.

Nekiruhs
August 30th, 2007, 12:53 PM
No Ideas? Any help? Maybe threading in python is in order? I have no idea how to do that or if it would even help.

christhemonkey
August 30th, 2007, 01:10 PM
What is happening is the GUI is waiting for the os.popen process to finish before it responds.

I think the way to go with this would be to look at the module Threading.

Or another thing you can do (though its a bit of a hack around) is to do something like this:

while gtk.events_pending():

gtk.main_iteration(False)

EDIT:

If you read the Pygtk docs, it says a little bit about the pulse() function:

The pulse() method nudges the progressbar to indicate that some progress has been made, but you don't know how much. This method also changes progress bar mode to "activity mode," where a block bounces back and forth. Each call to the pulse() method causes the block to move by a little bit (the amount of movement per pulse is determined by the set_pulse_step() method).
See here:http://www.pygtk.org/docs/pygtk/class-gtkprogressbar.html#method-gtkprogressbar--pulse

Nekiruhs
August 30th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Where would I put the lines that you gave me? Or can you link to any good tutorial that covers threading?

nanotube
August 30th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Where would I put the lines that you gave me? Or can you link to any good tutorial that covers threading?

well, this here's the python doc for the threading module:
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-threading.html

if that's not enough, you can also find actual walkthrough tutorials with a web search.

loell
August 30th, 2007, 04:13 PM
have you considered threading?

http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Python/Basic-Threading-in-Python/

edit -- beaten ;)

christhemonkey
August 30th, 2007, 04:19 PM
You can put those lines before any GUI bits of your program, though as i said its a bit of a hack around.

There are many many howtos on threading.
This pdf helped me understand the concepts (though its a presentation so obviously is lacking the person explaining each bullet point...):
http://www.strakt.com/docs/eup02_threads_jacob.pdf

But just google, python thread how to and read one of the many.

If and when you do find your solution, please post back how you did it.

oOJINxOo
August 30th, 2007, 06:34 PM
although there's better options as stated above.
I just thought i'd mention this anyway
have you tried running it as a background process, pipe the output into a txtfile and then read from that textfile?

good luck whatever method you end up using

<3 the py

scooper
August 30th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Why not just separate it into two programs that share a database, or use the slocate database? I wouldn't think you need to run find very often, just after stuff is installed. You could spawn an independent sub-process (not a thread) that rebuilds the database in the background and then swaps it in place as an atomic operation when the search completes. Or there might be a way to parse /var/lib/slocate/slocate.db, except it needs root access.

I also don't find it very hard to write code to recursively find files directly in Python, i.e. without spawning find. Here's a simple example.

import os.path
import glob

def find(dir):
for name in glob.glob(os.path.join(dir, '*')):
if os.path.isdir(name):
for name2 in find(name):
yield name2
else:
yield name

for name in find('/more/doc'):
print name

Here's a more elaborate example that optionally filters on regular expressions.

import os.path
import re
import glob

def find(dir, includes = [], excludes = []):
for name in glob.glob(os.path.join(dir, '*')):
if os.path.isdir(name):
for name2 in find(name, includes, excludes):
yield name2
else:
for reInclude in includes:
if reInclude.search(name):
break
else:
if includes:
continue
for reExclude in excludes:
if reExclude.search(name):
break
else:
yield name

for name in find('/more/doc', includes = [re.compile('[.]xls$')]):
print name

Obviously there's room for improvement, but just showing how easy it is. A benefit is that once you control the iteration of files internally you can poll the GUI to keep things alive. Does that make sense?

Zootropo
August 30th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Threads are the way to go. Just create a class which extends threading.Thread and write the code for the other thread in the run method of this class.

Then you instantiate the class and call the start method.

Nekiruhs
August 31st, 2007, 12:21 AM
Why not just separate it into two programs that share a database, or use the slocate database? I wouldn't think you need to run find very often, just after stuff is installed. You could spawn an independent sub-process (not a thread) that rebuilds the database in the background and then swaps it in place as an atomic operation when the search completes. Or there might be a way to parse /var/lib/slocate/slocate.db, except it needs root access.

I also don't find it very hard to write code to recursively find files directly in Python, i.e. without spawning find. Here's a simple example.

Obviously there's room for improvement, but just showing how easy it is. A benefit is that once you control the iteration of files internally you can poll the GUI to keep things alive. Does that make sense?
Find isn't something I made, Its a program installed by default on every Ubuntu and most Linuxes. And its not like locate, where it generates a index, it polls the filesystem every time you call it. So I would need to call find each and every time I did a search.