PDA

View Full Version : Internet problems Gateway MT6705 laptop

ericsaxalto
August 29th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I have successfully installed Ubuntu on my Gateway MT6705 as the primary operating system, however, I cannot get any internet connection - even with an ethernet connection. I have wireless at the house and the computer detects wireless, but I get a message saying "Firefox can't find server". I went into the Networking and punched in the IP address but nothing has changed. Any suggestions?:confused:

KevinCole
August 30th, 2007, 12:55 AM
I have successfully installed Ubuntu on my Gateway MT6705 as the primary operating system, however, I cannot get any internet connection - even with an ethernet connection. I have wireless at the house and the computer detects wireless, but I get a message saying "Firefox can't find server". I went into the Networking and punched in the IP address but nothing has changed. Any suggestions?:confused:

If you know the IP number of a web site (as opposed to the IP name), you could try entering that into your browser to see if that part is working okay. For example, http://69.147.114.210/ should take you to Yahoo. If that works then the problem sounds like a DNS error. Look at the contents of /etc/resolv.conf . It should have a couple of lines in it that begin with:

nameserver

followed by an IP number. Since you are setting your IP number manually, I'm assuming you will also know the IP addresses of your DNS nameservers.

Let us know how it goes.

ericsaxalto
August 30th, 2007, 02:57 AM
KevinCole,

Thanks for the suggestion. I entered the IPaddress and it poped up with a message that says: "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (htp) isn't associated with any program." I tried it with a couple different IP addresses and it didn't work. If you have any other thoughts I'm happy to try. Thanks again!

KevinCole
August 30th, 2007, 04:07 AM
KevinCole,

Thanks for the suggestion. I entered the IPaddress and it poped up with a message that says: "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (htp) isn't associated with any program." I tried it with a couple different IP addresses and it didn't work. If you have any other thoughts I'm happy to try. Thanks again!

Try again. It looks like you had a typo in your address. Use http not htp. (Maybe you can copy and paste it from my previous message to avoid typing mistakes.)

dinomite
August 30th, 2007, 09:10 PM
If KevinCole then it would help us to have more information. If you could capture the output of the command ifconfig and, perhaps using a USB thumb drive, post it here that would be useful. To make a file with the output of ifconfig open a terminal from the Applications > Accessories menu and type /sbin/ifconfig > ~/Desktop/ifconfig.txt which should result in a new file named ifconfig.txt appearing on your desktop. Just post the contents of that file here.

-Drew

ericsaxalto
August 31st, 2007, 02:10 AM
If KevinCole then it would help us to have more information. If you could capture the output of the command ifconfig and, perhaps using a USB thumb drive, post it here that would be useful. To make a file with the output of ifconfig open a terminal from the Applications > Accessories menu and type /sbin/ifconfig > ~/Desktop/ifconfig.txt which should result in a new file named ifconfig.txt appearing on your desktop. Just post the contents of that file here.

-Drew
I ran the commands that you suggested and I got the iconfig.txt on my desktop, but when I opened it it was blank. I would have put the contents in but there simply were none. I don't know what that means.

KevinCole
August 31st, 2007, 04:31 AM
I ran the commands that you suggested and I got the iconfig.txt on my desktop, but when I opened it it was blank. I would have put the contents in but there simply were none. I don't know what that means.

OK... Go back into the terminal, and this time type:

sudo -i
/etc/init.d/networking restart
ifconfig
cat /etc/resolv.conf
tail -n 20 /var/log/messages

See if any of that yields useful information. The above sets you up as the root user, then tries to restart the network. You should see it give you a bit of info as it tries to do this. Then ifconfig should give you the status of your network devices. cat /etc/resolv.conf should tell you if your DNS nameservers are set up correctly. tail... should look at the last 20 lines in your messages log, which is one of the better places to look when something's going wrong with your system. (There are several others in /var/log/ that are worth keeping an eye on.)

ericsaxalto
September 1st, 2007, 02:36 AM
OK... Go back into the terminal, and this time type:

See if any of that yields useful information. The above sets you up as the root user, then tries to restart the network. You should see it give you a bit of info as it tries to do this. Then ifconfig should give you the status of your network devices. cat /etc/resolv.conf should tell you if your DNS nameservers are set up correctly. tail... should look at the last 20 lines in your messages log, which is one of the better places to look when something's going wrong with your system. (There are several others in /var/log/ that are worth keeping an eye on.)

KevinCole, I ran those commands but the terminal wouldn't register anything (any keys) once it asked for the password. Here's what I got:
ericsaxalto@ericsaxalto-laptop:~$ iconfig
bash: iconfig: command not found
ericsaxalto@ericsaxalto-laptop:~$ /sbin/iconfig>~/Desktop/ifconfig.txt
bash: /sbin/iconfig: No such file or directory
ericsaxalto@ericsaxalto-laptop:~$

KevinCole
September 1st, 2007, 05:41 PM
KevinCole, I ran those commands but the terminal wouldn't register anything (any keys) once it asked for the password.

When it asks for the password, just type it and press enter. It won't "register" anything. When you're typing the password nothing shows up. Just type it in anyway, and press enter. And type carefully.

Here's what I got:
ericsaxalto@ericsaxalto-laptop:~$ iconfig
bash: iconfig: command not found
ericsaxalto@ericsaxalto-laptop:~$ /sbin/iconfig>~/Desktop/ifconfig.txt
bash: /sbin/iconfig: No such file or directory
ericsaxalto@ericsaxalto-laptop:~$

ifconfig. (You missed the "f")