PDA

View Full Version : Are the Firefox Devs lazy for Linux or something...?

knopper67
August 29th, 2007, 07:01 PM
I'm not sure if any of you guys noticed this before but haven't you noticed that the preferences window in firefox can be resized to any Size. But heres the thing...
It Doesn't Happen in windows.

Everytime i report a bug describing this problem...no one ever bothers to read the bug report. It's getting very annoying.

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/2567/screenshotminefieldpreffx7.png

FriedChips
August 29th, 2007, 07:04 PM
okay you are saying that it is a bug that you can resize the window? You can do that with any window it is not a bug.....

knopper67
August 29th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Thats not what i meant to say...it should resize to the point that it stops so it doesn't overlap the content in the window.

karellen
August 29th, 2007, 07:07 PM
okay you are saying that it is a bug that you can resize the window? You can do that with any window it is not a bug.....

I think he's saying that the resizing of the windows covers the buttons. or that the content of the windows doesn't get resized as well. this doesn't happen in windows, though

knopper67
August 29th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Yes that is exactly what i meant! Thanks for saying it more clearly so everyone can understand.

happysmileman
August 29th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Firefox for Linux sucks *** compared to Firefox on Windows, the devs seem to assume that they're guaranteed a market shar on Linux and therefore they can afford to **** it up a bit compared to Windows.

EDIT: I use Opera so I'm not a hypocrite or something, I will consider moving to Firefox in future if I think it's improved, will definitely try out 3.0

knopper67
August 29th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Speaking of Firefox Sucking on linux...anyone here seeing this a linux developer? Maybe we could create a not-crappy fork of firefox...

knopper67
August 29th, 2007, 07:17 PM
-happysmileman

Not to stunt your luck or anything but this doesn't seem to be fixed yet in the Aug 29 Nightly Build of FF3

karellen
August 29th, 2007, 07:20 PM
yeap, I've noticed myself. firefox for windows looks more polished

~LoKe
August 29th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Doesn't really bother me...

FuturePilot
August 29th, 2007, 07:26 PM
I thought this happened on Windows too. No? Hmmm. I usually don't resize that window anyway.

ryno519
August 29th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this.
Doctor: Then stop doing it.

23meg
August 29th, 2007, 07:39 PM
The bug affects the Windows and OSX builds as well.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=283697

blithen
August 29th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Not to be mean, but why care?
Why resize it in the first place?

23meg
August 29th, 2007, 07:49 PM
The problem doesn't just occur upon resizing; it occurs as soon as the the Preferences window is opened. It opens cropped, and you have to resize it to see all the elements.

ryno519
August 29th, 2007, 07:49 PM
The problem doesn't just occur upon resizing; it occurs as soon as the the Preferences window is opened. It opens cropped, and you have to resize it to see all the elements.

I don't.

~LoKe
August 29th, 2007, 07:50 PM

Mine opens up fine.

23meg
August 29th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Everytime i report a bug describing this problem...no one ever bothers to read the bug report.

See the link above; it seems it's a widely acknowledged bug, with lots of duplicates as well. Maybe you should get better at reporting bugs.

23meg
August 29th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Mine opens up fine.

Mine too. It doesn't apply to all configurations. I haven't read all the comments, so don't know what exactly the cause is here, but this kind of thing generally happens when there's no reliable measurement to base the window size upon. If you set a fixed window size, it may work with the default or assumed font and widget sizes and resolutions, but once the user changes them, things may go awry.

ajgreeny
August 29th, 2007, 07:58 PM
This all seems like a very large thread about something that is in my opinion of very small importance. So what if you have to resize the Preferences window? How often do you open that window anyway?

A storm in a teacup!

blithen
August 29th, 2007, 08:02 PM
This all seems like a very large thread about something that is in my opinion of very small importance. So what if you have to resize the Preferences window? How often do you open that window anyway?

A storm in a teacup!

Thank you!

starcraft.man
August 29th, 2007, 09:14 PM
That's it? Your making a big deal out of nothing. Resize it so it fits all the buttons and move on. How often do you change options anyway? Twice a year? Less?

Man that was a disappointing rant.

happysmileman
August 29th, 2007, 09:49 PM
-happysmileman

Not to stunt your luck or anything but this doesn't seem to be fixed yet in the Aug 29 Nightly Build of FF3

It's fixed in Opera 9.23 so that's the end of that.

firefoxUsers--;

~LoKe
August 29th, 2007, 09:56 PM
It's fixed in Opera 9.23 so that's the end of that.

firefoxUsers--;

Elitists--;

Dimitriid
August 29th, 2007, 09:57 PM
There's bigger issues with Firefox Linux to worry about resize. Try Epiphany if you want better gnome integration ( Konqueror for KDE )

happysmileman
August 29th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Elitists--;

Calling me an elitist? I use whatever works and looks good on my Desktop, I'd be an elitist if I went around claiming my choices were better, I'm just saying Firefox need to actually get off their asses and wade through their source code until they actually find and fix things on Linux, right now they take it for granted that people will use it no matter how bad it is on Linux, this needs to change and the only way it will is if people actually switch and point out their mistakes.

Interestedinthepenguin
August 29th, 2007, 10:58 PM
This fixed the issue for me; add it to your userChrome.css file (located in /home/username/.mozilla/firefox/profile.default/chrome/):

#BrowserPreferences {min-width: 450px !important; min-height: 430px !important;}

23meg
August 29th, 2007, 11:03 PM
I'm just saying Firefox need to actually get off their asses and wade through their source code until they actually find and fix things on Linux, right now they take it for granted that people will use it no matter how bad it is on Linux

The bug isn't specific to Linux.

karellen
August 29th, 2007, 11:31 PM
The bug isn't specific to Linux.
well in windows that windows cannot be resized. so...it can't overlap the content

23meg
August 29th, 2007, 11:53 PM
It can.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=184483

spier
August 30th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Maybe I'm missing something, but my firefox Preferences window look nice, even before any window resize...

23meg
August 30th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Maybe I'm missing something, but my firefox Preferences window look nice, even before any window resize...

Now try one or more of the following:

- Choose a different GTK theme
- Make your fonts 3px smaller/larger
- Change your display DPI

Still? If so, you're either lucky, or not pushing things far enough.

Ozor Mox
August 30th, 2007, 01:04 AM
I can resize my Firefox preferences window too but it looks fine when I first open it so I just...don't. What exactly is the problem again?

spier
August 30th, 2007, 03:05 AM
Now try one or more of the following:

- Choose a different GTK theme
- Make your fonts 3px smaller/larger
- Change your display DPI

Still? If so, you're either lucky, or not pushing things far enough.
The latter, probably. Tried some of the standard themes and bigger system fonts with no avail -window size just increased.