PDA

View Full Version : Publicity for ubuntu in newspaper?

f76
August 2nd, 2005, 10:52 AM
Inspired by the ubuntu commercial idea
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=41771

I was looking around the homepage of a free newspaper that has good spreading here in sweden and around the world.. I dont know how many of u get "METRO" but anyway. The deal is the pay a small amount for freelance journalism and i thought maybe a joint freelance project on ubuntu and the open source community could bring some publicity.

Obviously the angle would have to be popular and the article kemp dirt simple they and they would have to be interested in publishing it.

It would be risky in a sense to write a freelance article risking not being published but perhaps someone else could publish an article that isnt accepted.

So basicaly i am looking for another/ a few swedish speaking ubuntu user/s who wants to join in on writing an article on ubuntu-open source. Perhaps we could use this forum to try out some of our ideas.

If published the article would become copyrighted in the name of the paper but nothing can stop anyone from writing other articles on the same subject.

a have a few ideas already but i would like to know if there is any interest in such a project. I think an article with the angle on ubuntu as an example of the good of open source while hopefully explaingin what open source means is the way i would like to go...

Unfortunately i am no writer/journalist but im willing to make an attempt anyway

Kvark
August 2nd, 2005, 04:25 PM
Good idea, perhaps for around the breezy release.

One thing to think about. Metro got in trouble before for writing a couple articles about technical products. The articles where deemed to be commercial ads disguised as news, which is illegal. So if it can be argued that the article is an ad then it must not be written as news. Perhaps instead as a product review in a computer section or magazine.

N'Jal
August 2nd, 2005, 04:36 PM
But even if it is an add, ubuntu's free. It's not like it's a subliminal messege to buy our product, there's nothing to buy really.

Brunellus
August 2nd, 2005, 08:09 PM
But even if it is an add, ubuntu's free. It's not like it's a subliminal messege to buy our product, there's nothing to buy really.

Yes, but you *are* promoting it while simultaneously disguising that same promotion as objective reporting. This isn't terribly ethical, nor may it be legal.

The fact that it happens all the time doesn't make in any less wrong.