PDA

View Full Version : Dell, Apple, or System 76??? Hmmm....

robconscient
August 29th, 2007, 03:15 AM
Hello.

I'm about to purchase a new desktop computer. I have narrowed the choices down to three, listed below.

I'd really love to get the opinions of forum members, so that I make the best choice possible. :)

The choices are listed in order of price, lowest to highest. I've also listed some pros and cons for each.

Note: Whatever my choice, I have to be able to boot Windows, either as a dual boot or in virtualization. My job requires this. Don't get all crazy on me... I know... Windows stinks, as compared...

Anyway, here goes:

Option 1
Dell XPS 410N

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6600 (4MB L2 Cache,2.4GHz,1066 FSB)
4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 4 DIMMs
500GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
Dual Drives: 48x Combo + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capable
24 inch UltraSharp™ 2407FPW Widescreen Digital Flat Panel
128MB nVidia GeForce 8300 GS
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
Dell USB Keyboard
Dell Optical USB Mouse
13 in 1 Media Card Reader
3Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor, 24x7 Phone Support

Pros
Cheapest choice
Can run *buntu and multiple versions of Windows
Supports an OEM who is making inroads into desktop Linux

Cons
No FireWire out of the box. will have to add a card (opening the case doesnt void the warranty does it?)

Option 2
Apple iMac

Apple iMac, 24-inch
2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme
2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
Apple Mighty Mouse
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
iWork '08 preinstalled
Apple Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X
Apple Care

Pros
Only choice that can run all three major desktop OS's (Mac, Windows, *nix)
Easily compatible with Apple's multimedia offerings
Hardware is Pretty To Look At

Cons
Only 2 GB of RAM. upgrading is prohibitively expensive (another $700 to go from 2GB to 4GB... i know, WTF?)
Supports proprietary hardware and OS manufacturer
ATI not so supportive of open source
More difficult to get running (*nix) out of the box
Sure to get me flamed by Bryan from the Linux Action Show ;-)

Option 3
System 76 Wild Dog Performance

AMD AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.6 GHz Dual-Core L2 2 MB
4 GB - 4 x 1 GB - DDR 2 - 800 MHz
256 MB nVidia GeForce 7600 GT PCI-Express x16
400 GB SATA 300Mbps 7200 RPM 16 MB Buffer
Optical Drive CD-RW / DVD-RW
Second Optical Drive CD-RW / DVD-RW (Dual Layer)
Keyboard and Mouse Logitech Internet 350 Desktop
Hardware Warranty 3 Yr. Ltd. Warranty and Technical Support

Pros
Can run *buntu and multiple versions of Windows
Supports an OEM who has been a desktop Linux supporter for some time. The clearest "moral" choice, if there is such a thing here

Cons
Smaller hard drive than other choices (400 vs 500 GB)
AMD Athlon chip - not a con,but I dont know anything about this line of chips. Is it 'better' than the Core 2 Duos?
Most expensive choice
Ugly as sin. Sorry, that's IMHO...

OK, there you have it. Opinions and alternate choices highly coveted. Thank you :)

Kingsley
August 29th, 2007, 03:18 AM
I'd go with the Dell. You could run OS X on it if you really want to :).

Fonon
August 29th, 2007, 03:20 AM
Get the dell. IMO, Mac is a bit over rated, and the interface isn't that good, though it's better than Windows. System 76 is expensive, in your opinion, small, isn't dual core, and has 400 gigs. 400 gigs is still good, so that shouldn't be a con IMO, but...Dell have good customer support, and they are reliable. I do believe, though, that opening the case voids warranty. But that's what the net and reinstallation is for.

marsmissionaries
August 29th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Opening the case will void the warrantee.

Andrewie
August 29th, 2007, 03:36 AM
I say don't go with Apple, but thats just because I don't like them :p. The Dell and the System 76 are pretty close I think you should flip a coin, at times like these I like to ask myself WWTD

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/5117/twoface003uf0.th.gif (http://img257.imageshack.us/my.php?image=twoface003uf0.gif)

starcraft.man
August 29th, 2007, 03:50 AM
I say none of the above. I could build a better desktop for par (money wise) with better parts for the money of each I think.

If these are your three options though I rule out the iMac first because of my abject dislike of Apple and the fact that those boxes aren't open and upgradeable (like the Mini their sealed no? Unless you force em open...). Plus what the hell is wrong with them and RAM prices?

I also vote Dell out. I have heard bad stories about their support/customer service, it's just getting horrible I think. Add to that the fact that I think their pricing is very odd ball (I've seen huge price discrepancies on multiple models on their site when compared). I just can't say buy from them.

I guess if you have to pick support system76. I do know they'll likely be the most expensive, my ideal solution as stated is building. It's not as hard as people think.

Oh and don't buy a 128MB nVidia GeForce 8300 GS, very underpowered card won't get ya much. Card should have at least 256MB or more, I'd say 8800 GTS at least.

Maybe another option would be to look around local shops? Some offer good prices, you'd be surprised... That's my advice, have fun.

jimrz
August 29th, 2007, 04:45 AM
I have, for not quite a year, had an xps410 and been quite happy with it. Only spec differences are 2 Gb RAM, 2x 250 Gb hdd's, 256 Mb GeForce 7900 vid card, different monitor and no card reader (decided to keep using mySanDisk usb2 reader which I knew works perfectly with linux, so did not opt for the built-in one).

opening the case does NOT void your warranty

re AMD vs Core2Duo ... no contest c2d no question

Starcraft.man - with the xps series, according to their advertising, you get a different phone # and level of service than their regular tech support line. On the only occasion that I have had to call them this seemed to be true ... got someone who seemed to know a bit and actually was a native English speaker (Canada, I think). The issue had to do with grub errors trying to do a standard dual-boot install to 2 SATA2 non-raid hdd's vs their BIOS. Their tech really only agreed that what I proposed as a workaround would likely work (and it did), but he seemed to understand exactly what I was talking about and did not go into any of that "we don't support linux" bs nor did he, in any other way, try to indicate that use of linux would harm anything including my warranty status.

tehkain
August 29th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Hate apple - Love their hardware. This is why I need someone to talk me out of buying a mac book and telling me about a laptop with the same sturdiness, quality(I do not like big laptops with alot of clutter and useless inputs[like a serial port and vga & 5.1 analog rather then miniDVI & sdif]) and a bunch of intel chips inside.

Ripfox
August 29th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Uh...that new iMac looks freakin' sweet to me dudes. I hear it runs Ubuntu perfectly. I am seriously thinking of doing this myself...

aysiu
August 29th, 2007, 06:19 AM
If you have to have Windows, get a Dell. The Windows license is included in the price. With System76 or Apple, you'd have to buy a separate Windows license.

slimdog360
August 29th, 2007, 08:40 AM
go the apple. You can get a lot cheaper RAM if you buy it yourself.

Spr0k3t
August 29th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Build your own when it comes to desktops. Laptops on the otherhand... stick with OEM.

stijngysemans
August 29th, 2007, 10:10 AM
go with the dell ubuntu version, if you don't need windows!

robconscient
August 29th, 2007, 11:56 AM
First, thanks to everyone who took the time to provide input. It is much appreciated.

Someone sent me a link to this company (http://www.zareason.com/shop/home.php). Has anyone heard of them or have any experience with them? Perhaps a quick forum search will help....<off to search>

- Rob

xaco1234
August 29th, 2007, 12:22 PM
i woud not buy from dell, atleast if you are norwegian, when i 1stbought i got to a delivery firm that woudn't deliver to me, and i broke the screen on it and it took them well over 2 weeks just to give me an offer in price what t woud cost to replace it (it was an laptop)