PDA

View Full Version : PC Mag Ubuntu Guide

Fonon
August 28th, 2007, 08:57 PM
I'm sure we all remember when Louderback said last month he might switch to Linux...and it seems that because of Vista's failures, PC Mag is looking at linux at a new light. As I'm looking through my PC Mag issue I got today after school, I see their new article which was all about Ubuntu Linux. They even said it could replace Windows in most cases. I'll post a link to the article when they post it on their website.

-grubby
August 28th, 2007, 09:51 PM
yes, and maximum pc seems to be looking at linux alot lately too.

~LoKe
August 28th, 2007, 09:58 PM
The more appearances that Linux makes, the better. However, I think articles in PC Mag or overall...worthless. Most of the people who read these types of computer-oriented magazines already know most of the aspects of Windows vs Linux.

Matthew Wiebelhaus
August 28th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I never new about linuxx until i read my pc mag subscription though right now i switched back ot windows since it seems that the gusty development team dosent know what the **** they are doing with ipw3945....................

Old Pink
August 28th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Nice, I like seeing and hearing about Linux outside the internet, makes it feel alot more mainstream. :)

jgrabham
August 28th, 2007, 11:41 PM
I'm sure we all remember when Louderback said last month he might switch to Linux...and it seems that because of Vista's failures, PC Mag is looking at linux at a new light. As I'm looking through my PC Mag issue I got today after school, I see their new article which was all about Ubuntu Linux. They even said it could replace Windows in most cases. I'll post a link to the article when they post it on their website.

Ive seen it in loads of magazines, micro mart, personal computer world - Its getting big!

Fonon
August 29th, 2007, 02:53 AM
I never new about linuxx until i read my pc mag subscription though right now i switched back ot windows since it seems that the gusty development team dosent know what the **** they are doing with ipw3945....................

So use Feisty, and not Gutsy...

I feel this is great. Most people read PC Mag for trying something new (LIke me), so I can get the latest on overall tech news, etc. Just seeing the amounts of people reading PC Mag, and seeing that article...the ubuntu forums will be flooded soon, I think.

Compucore
August 29th, 2007, 03:24 AM
I remember a number of years ago Maximum PC had a sister magazine called Maximum linux. I used to buy every so often it was a good magazine on some things. Too bad it never really flew back then when it was around. I think it was in Y2K that Maximum linux had died.

COmpucore

Fonon
August 29th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Some one needs to make a Linux Magazine...I would, but I'm still in Middle School...perhaps that could a Canonical project?

Compucore
August 29th, 2007, 03:34 AM
DO you mean using specifically ubuntu linux Or linux in general fonon?

Some one needs to make a Linux Magazine...I would, but I'm still in Middle School...perhaps that could a Canonical project?

Fonon
August 29th, 2007, 03:40 AM
Depends on what the goal is, IMO. If it's to get people to Ubuntu, then a Ubuntu oriented magazine is the way. But if it's to get people to get the Linux is general, then a magazine evenly split up between different distro's would be optimal.

wana10
August 29th, 2007, 03:47 AM
Depends on what the goal is, IMO. If it's to get people to Ubuntu, then a Ubuntu oriented magazine is the way. But if it's to get people to get the Linux is general, then a magazine evenly split up between different distro's would be optimal.

they already have them. this one (http://www.linux-magazine.com/), for example, or this one (http://www.linuxjournal.com/), or this one (http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/), or....you get the picture;). just go browse your local mega-bookstore's magazine rack in the computer section/

Fonon
August 29th, 2007, 03:52 AM
My local book store doesn't have that, but I'll be getting a year subscription to Lj once i get ten more bucks.