PDA

View Full Version : Why Open Source?

Zaskoda
August 28th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I tend to believe that open source software enables Intellectual Sustainability. That is to say, by sharing knowledge openly, we enable ourselves (as a whole) to continue to innovate and grow ideas.

While I do advocate supporting authors and artists and innovators for the contributions - I tend to disagree with the notion that someone can own an idea.

This is one reason I support open source. This is perhaps the biggest reason I continue to.

What about you?

(p.s. - I just found it ironic that the Ubuntu forums are on vBulletin)

Martje_001
August 28th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Well.. You can view the source of vBullitin. It's just that's it's not under GPL..

23meg
August 28th, 2007, 03:46 PM
While I do advocate supporting authors and artists and innovators for the contributions - I tend to disagree with the notion that someone can own an idea.

This is one reason I support open source. This is perhaps the biggest reason I continue to.

How exactly does "open source" go against the notion of one owning an idea?

M$LOL
August 28th, 2007, 03:49 PM

lol, I wouldn't really have much of an issue with that, it's not like all the members have to buy copies ;)

hardyn
August 28th, 2007, 04:26 PM
I think if you have have developed something revolutionary, you are very well within your rights to be recognized as owning the idea, If there were no ownership of ideas, there would probably also not be any development.

Ownership of an idea, is completely exclusive of distribution of the idea, hence the reason for soooo many different licenses. Its up to the owner of the idea to choose if and how there idea may proliferate. Its very pleasing to have your name attached to a good idea, regardless if or how you decide to distribute.

az
August 28th, 2007, 05:30 PM
I think if you have have developed something revolutionary, you are very well within your rights to be recognized as owning the idea, If there were no ownership of ideas, there would probably also not be any development.

Ownership of an idea, is completely exclusive of distribution of the idea, hence the reason for soooo many different licenses. Its up to the owner of the idea to choose if and how there idea may proliferate. Its very pleasing to have your name attached to a good idea, regardless if or how you decide to distribute.

If you are the first to have an idea, you should be recognized as being the first (attribution) but that should not grant you the right to forbid others to have the same thought or to build upon your thought.

In current IP law, the publishers enforce the rights, because they own the copyrights ("all rights reserved") to the original work. The power lies in the publishers hands, and not necessarily in the author's hands.

Read Lawrence Lessig's FREE CULTURE.

stmiller
August 28th, 2007, 05:33 PM

It depends on how you define idea. :KS

Zaskoda
August 29th, 2007, 10:18 PM
If you are the first to have an idea, you should be recognized as being the first (attribution) but that should not grant you the right to forbid others to have the same thought or to build upon your thought.

In current IP law, the publishers enforce the rights, because they own the copyrights ("all rights reserved") to the original work. The power lies in the publishers hands, and not necessarily in the author's hands.

Read Lawrence Lessig's FREE CULTURE.

EXACTLY... I was going to write a lengthy reply, but you said it so well.

I definitely agree that people who contribute ideas should get credit. We should honor them for their contributions.

It seems that most ideas seem to spontaneously pop up in multiple places at once - and often times ideas aren't really a new concept so much as an evolution of an idea and/or combination of many other ideas... sometimes an idea is older than a generation, but technology has to evolve enough for the ideas to be achievable.

Because so many people gave their ideas, knowledge, experience, and hard work back to the global community - we can all enjoy the Ubuntu experience.

init1
August 29th, 2007, 11:38 PM
I tend to believe that open source software enables Intellectual Sustainability. That is to say, by sharing knowledge openly, we enable ourselves (as a whole) to continue to innovate and grow ideas.

What about you?

Yeah, but I see why vBulletin was chosen.
I like open source because I'm cheap and I like that I don't have to pay for software anymore.

Mazza558
August 30th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Well, Ubuntu pretty much defines what you said in the OP:

"I am what I am because of who we all are."

the_darkside_986
August 30th, 2007, 12:42 AM
I have real-life reasons to appreciate open-source. The only hardware/software that gives me any problems in Ubuntu are the proprietary ones like my wireless card and nvidia card with 3d accel. They do work during and after installation of the OS, but I have some minor annoyances with them. Also Flash 9 freezes firefox. One could blame it on firefox but really, this is an open-source browser trying to interface with a closed-source software.

Also, there have been so many times I have been irritated by little problems in commercial games and I wish I had the source code available so I could fix it or customize it.