PDA

View Full Version : Free Beer

forrestcupp
August 28th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Don't you think instead of saying "free as in beer" it would be better to say "free of charge"? "Free of charge" just makes more sense and it is one character shorter to type. I don't know where you're from, but where I live beer is expensive. And "free of charge" is 6 characters shorter than "free as in free beer" which is what it should be.

To someone who is new to Linux, "free as in beer" sounds kind of stupid. But I know I can't change the world with one post.

fuscia
August 28th, 2007, 02:20 PM
To someone who is new to Linux, "free as in beer" sounds kind of stupid.

'kind of'?!?

blithen
August 28th, 2007, 02:27 PM
I still don't get what it means really.
Does it Just mean "Free of charge"?
OR does it mean, "Free of charge with side affects?

John.Michael.Kane
August 28th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Gratis is usually referred to as free as in beer while libre is referred to as free as in speech.

Free as in beer refers to that which are available at no monetary cost and no restrictions.

In contrast, the expressions free as in speech, free as in freedom, and free as in rights, refers to that which is free but with restrictions. Certain open source software available under certain licenses has restrictions as to the use or distribution of the code.

fuscia
August 28th, 2007, 02:45 PM

you might get further trying to figure out how genesis could be true. i say it's time to ditch this senseless saying.

notwen
August 28th, 2007, 02:46 PM
But who doesn't like free beer? :confused:

ryno519
August 28th, 2007, 02:55 PM
If we really want to attract people to GNU/Linux who don't we just say "FREE BEER!"

Siamang
August 28th, 2007, 03:41 PM
"Free as in beer" isn't the saying, which is why it sounds stupid to you. Read the FSF page (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html). If something doesn't make sense, first be certain that you're not misinterpreting the message.

forrestcupp
August 28th, 2007, 05:21 PM
"Free as in beer" isn't the saying, which is why it sounds stupid to you. Read the FSF page (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html). If something doesn't make sense, first be certain that you're not misinterpreting the message.

I'm not misinterpreting anything and I know what it means. I'm just quoting many people who shorten the saying down to "free as in beer" which doesn't make much sense to people who don't know the whole story. This obscure saying is way too overused. Even though I know what it means, I still think it sounds stupid. "Free of charge" just makes a lot more sense to me. But to each his own.

popch
August 28th, 2007, 05:36 PM
If we really want to attract people to GNU/Linux who don't we just say "FREE BEER!"

Why would anyone have to free Beer? Is he in prison?

Or is it FREE BEE as in Freeby?