PDA

View Full Version : coaxing xp users to use linux rather than vista

vishzilla
August 28th, 2007, 09:14 AM
with win vista out, some of the users are held back in upgrading from xp, how ll you coax them to switch to a linux distro

ryno519
August 28th, 2007, 09:18 AM
with win vista out, some of the users are held back in upgrading from xp, how ll you coax them to switch to a linux distro

The three words I find most effective are... "It is free."

It's a good selling point.

phyrewall
August 28th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I simply show them my laptop running Ubuntu and Compiz-fusion to get them interested, since everyone loves "eye-candy". Then we talk about the pros and cons of Linux over Windows.

I tend to only try to "convert" techies. While Ubuntu is pretty straight-forward, I don't feel like tossing inexperienced users into the water without a lifeguard, since I honestly don't feel like providing tech support.

popch
August 28th, 2007, 09:21 AM
No need to register your copy

bobbybobington
August 28th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Try the passive, instead of active approach. Just simply use your computer around the people you want to "convert", if they ask any questions answer them normally, but not like a car salesman. The decision to try linux is ultimately theirs, but you can at least get them curious. Nobody likes to be told they're using an "inferior" product. This will almost always turn them off. Just plant the seed, if the soil is fertile, the plant will grow.

igknighted
August 28th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Easy... don't. Offer linux to those who are willing to learn something new... but most Windows users don't want to learn, and if they aren't willing to we are doing a disservice to both them and the linux community by pushing Linux at them. Convert those willing to learn, and as people see it around them more, that group willing to learn will grow. I hate to show my geek roots here, but does anyone remember in star trek first contact where Picard had to give himself "willingly without any resistance" to the borg... thats what we need. We cannot force converts, we need willing learners.

potrick
August 28th, 2007, 05:30 PM
If you need to coax, Ubuntu might not be for them. I'm all for picking up new users but if they're not enthusiastic about it forcing it on them isn't going to be fun: the first problems they come across (even if worse was common in Windows) they'll blame on Linux.

Ubuntu might get to a point where

My girlfriend states she will use Ubuntu once her current computer breaks and finding one running XP isn't possible. I see no reason to push it on her sooner than that.

forrestcupp
August 28th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I simply show them my laptop running Ubuntu and Compiz-fusion to get them interested, since everyone loves "eye-candy". Then we talk about the pros and cons of Linux over Windows.

That's good. Most people leave out the cons of Linux and they get someone to switch. Then after they have wiped their hard drive, they see the cons themselves and become angry.

"Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

tigerpants
August 28th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Vista does the job itself. After 5 minutes of trying to use it, and clicking endless ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THAT? dialogues, I was ready to take a wrench to the computer and give it my own special custom install of SHUTTHEFUCHUP

starcraft.man
August 28th, 2007, 06:37 PM

You know frankly I don't think they need that much coaxing... usually they have a reason that sparks their interest (like me being tired of MS BS) and they go out and explore. I of course always encourage and help those who want to learn about Linux :).

SunnyRabbiera
August 28th, 2007, 06:44 PM
well I personally try to show off the power of linux in many ways.
for one I start off with a simple easy to use distro to show people that linux can be easy if given a chance.
I lure people with distros like PClinuxOS or Mepis as opposed to Ubuntu though as both those said dfistros are more "media ready" then ubuntu in my opinion though once they are comfortable with linux I would point them to ubuntu.
a live CD distro is always a good place to start in my mind, Lives show off the power and simplicity of linux without laying a finger on the HD...
this is why I concider live CD's to be linux's biggest asset, its all virtual and utterly harmless unless they press the install button

tszanon
August 28th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Vista does the job itself. After 5 minutes of trying to use it, and clicking endless ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO DO THAT? dialogues, I was ready to take a wrench to the computer and give it my own special custom install of SHUTTHEFUCHUP
Man, I was like that when I had to do simple things in a friend's computer. In the beginning, I was like "it's gonna be a piece of cake". I gave up, extremely upset, with the feeling that I should throw the computer out of the window. Aero? First thing I thought: "beautiful, but how do I turn it off?"

regomodo
August 28th, 2007, 09:17 PM
don't bother. It is more trouble than its worth. If they have trouble with XP mention Linux. Don't bother to try "it's free" as most people view most software as free (see the "XP is free" thread).

I setup Ubuntu for my parents (they asked me too) and put easy to see shortcuts for basically everything. I showed how most things worked. It stayed on that PC for almost a week. Another comp, brothers, i put xubuntu on it (due to specs). That stayed a day and they prefered a slow running XP.

I'm not going to try again even if they do ask me. I'm not going to waste anymore of my time.

vishzilla
August 29th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Easy... don't. Offer linux to those who are willing to learn something new... but most Windows users don't want to learn

absolutely, i have a friend here. each time he comes up to my house. he asks "whats great in ubuntu?" and i reply "why dont u try, ill be ready to help" and he replies back "nah, i am happy the way it is". esp in my country windows is very popular, users are really not willing to switch over bcoz its relatively easier to use.

nonewmsgs
August 29th, 2007, 05:33 AM
when vista came out and i crashed xp (fooling around with partitoin tables and messed something up), i wanted to know to reinstall xp or get the brand new vista, so i was looking up vista articles. partly because i wanted to know which vista i wanted, because it had aero. and i found one article on genuine advantage difficulties (M$'s official forum) and every forum would always have some straggler go linux! well i wasn't convinced until i read linux maybe if you like everything to be a pain in the ***! and the other guy responded ever hear of ubuntu? linux for human beings? and i saw it a 2nd place and then i was a-downloadin', so for those of you who do post those linux, ubuntu, etc on forums, people are reading them! don't go nuts but a single suggestion of maybe try something else is tactful.

Yfrwlf
December 28th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Most users find Gnome and Ubuntu in general to be easier than Windows, especially in the realm of installing software. As long as their computer is compatible, and they're not huge gamers that wouldn't be happy with being confined to what is available through Wine and natively on Linux, they usually prefer a computer that just gets them to their apps. Ubuntu does a great job of that.

I think even many grandparents would give it an OK.

But to answer the original question, I don't think you should just completely shutup about it. Would you like it if a friend went around not at all mentioning to you something interesting they found like a new neat movie or a neat peice of software? I wouldn't, I don't think most anyone would. There's a difference between being a pest and being forceful, and instead saying something like "Hey, this is cool, it's easy to use, free, stable, and more secure. Want to see it?" The key is are they interested in it. If not, shut up, hopefully before they have to tell you to shut up, and the same goes with any topic. ;)