PDA

View Full Version : One really must have and cool Linux app

technomaniac
August 28th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Make a wish...

name a app, which is availble in Windows and you would like to have it or a similar one in Linux...preferably something simple but very essential

toupeiro
August 28th, 2007, 09:11 AM
for me its a toss-up between:

A native port of ventrilo or

Visio Professional -- or a GOOD linux equivalent.

aquavitae
August 28th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Autocad: I haven't yet seen a good equivalent, although there are some that are getting there, e.g. qcad, cycas. Unfortunately they're both pay software for the full version.

And then there's always games... A really good rpg along the lines of neverwinter nights.

Why are you asking - looking for a project?

ryno519
August 28th, 2007, 09:29 AM
for me its a toss-up between:

A native port of ventrilo or

Visio Professional -- or a GOOD linux equivalent.

You can get good Visio Professional equivalents in GNU/Linux, trouble is they're spread out through several different applications. I only tend to ever use Visio for UML diagrams, so on GNU/Linux Umbrello works great for me.

Not an application, but... DirectX 9 and 10. ;)

Chilli Bob
August 28th, 2007, 09:34 AM
I still use Windows Movie Maker on my work computer to take AVIs off my digital camera, edit them, and compress them to WMVs to use on websites. I would like to find a Linux equivalent program, and a widely accepted open source format that does as good a job, but Kino and Avidemux have proved to be exercises in frustration.

Any suggestions welcome.

blithen
August 28th, 2007, 09:36 AM
A good MMORPG would defiantly be a must have for me. Like Diablo 2 or something.
That game KILLS!
Also direct x 9 or 10 like Ryno said.

toupeiro
August 28th, 2007, 09:36 AM
:) no no, I mean

something I can do a network diagnostic diagram, have code to kick off an administrative console, but import and export objects into different drawings. Bind metric and imperial units of measure to true network objects and distances to scale and identify when lengths have been extended beyond recommended distances when reorganizing items.

These are things visio can do. I know Linux has different object oriented flow-diagrams and charting tools, but nothing as dynamic as visio in the sense of a tool specializing in that kind of functionality.

toupeiro
August 28th, 2007, 09:39 AM
You can get good Visio Professional equivalents in GNU/Linux, trouble is they're spread out through several different applications. I only tend to ever use Visio for UML diagrams, so on GNU/Linux Umbrello works great for me.

:) From my experience, umbrello is not enough, but perhaps I should re-examine it.

Here is an example of what I mean:

To me, Visio is an app which I can do a network diagnostic diagram, have the objects linked to kick off an administrative console to each device, but import and export those objects and attributes into different drawings. Bind metric and imperial units of measure to true network objects and distances to scale and identify when lengths have been extended beyond recommended distances when reorganizing items.

These are things visio can do. I know Linux has different object oriented flow-diagrams and charting tools, but nothing as dynamic as visio in the sense of a tool specializing in that kind of functionality.

jgrabham
August 28th, 2007, 09:51 AM
DVD shrink. Ive never tried it in Wine, but apparantly it works, a linux equivelant would be awsome!

wieman01
August 28th, 2007, 10:21 AM
No a single one! Found a (good) replacement for all applications that I used in Windows. Could not think of any. I am perfectly happy. :-)

EDIT:
A Linux SMS messenger perhaps. But I have CrossOver Office so I can install Windows programs.

henriette_holm
August 28th, 2007, 10:56 AM
WinEdt (LaTeX file editor)

Kile does a somewhat similar job but I use Gnome.......

Suggestions welcome

/Henriette

Nonno Bassotto
August 28th, 2007, 12:14 PM
For LaTeX I use TeXmaker (it is in qt but doesn't require the KDE libraries) or gEdit with the LaTeX plugin (http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/LaTeXPlugin). Anyway, neither of these is the perfect solution.

Other than a LaTeX editor I would also want a port of PowerTab, which I'm currenly using under wine. There are some guitar tab programs in the linux world, but the only one I know which opens PowerTab files is TuxGuitar. Sadly it has far less features than PowerTab, so currently it displays that scores quite poorly.

DarkOx
August 28th, 2007, 12:23 PM
And then there's always games... A really good rpg along the lines of neverwinter nights.

I think Linux actually can run Neverwinter Nights native (or at least, so I've heard, and Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights) lists Linux as a platform for the game).

aquavitae
August 28th, 2007, 02:57 PM
DVD shrink. Ive never tried it in Wine, but apparantly it works, a linux equivelant would be awsome!
k9copy. I think its still beta, but so far I've had less problems with it than with dvdshrink. And its faster.

Quote:
I think Linux actually can run Neverwinter Nights native (or at least, so I've heard, and Wikipedia lists Linux as a platform for the game).
Yes, it does run. But once you've finished it....
I want more!!!!:)

BDNiner
August 28th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Yes i believe linux can run Neverwinter Nights. I have not tried it yet, i have not played a games since oblivion.

valermos
August 28th, 2007, 06:25 PM
iTunes

It runs on Mac which is similar to Linux in many ways... How hard can it be to port?

13warrior
August 28th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Gaming support for games like NFS and Max Payne..

potrick
August 29th, 2007, 05:05 AM
iTunes

It runs on Mac which is similar to Linux in many ways... How hard can it be to port?

You'd be surprised. Really really surprised.

sloggerkhan
August 29th, 2007, 05:10 AM

I am a HUGE fan of Thoggen.

It is the easiest to use video compression/ripping program I have ever used on any OS (Though I've never used mac the ripper, and I hear that is nice.)

I've had good results with it. Only thing is that it takes a bit long, IMO.

nonewmsgs
August 29th, 2007, 05:27 AM
ripit4me or dvdfabdecryptor. id even pay for gold or platinum if i could have a native linux one.

reacocard
August 29th, 2007, 05:41 AM
iTunes

Um. very? You'd have to either port it to gtk/cairo, or port cocoa/quartz to linux. Either one would be a huge task.

As for me, I think I've found more software I like since coming to linux than I ever found in Windows, I'm happy the way things are.

Except, maybe a mute button for my little sister? :lolflag:

treis
August 29th, 2007, 05:47 AM
WinAmp. Nothing I have found comes close to the perfection that WinAmp is.

nanotube
August 29th, 2007, 05:47 AM
WinEdt (LaTeX file editor)

Kile does a somewhat similar job but I use Gnome.......

Suggestions welcome

/Henriette

you can use kile under gnome, just so you know. i do, and have no complaints.

i've also heard good things about texmaker (though haven't tried it myself).

Acglaphotis
August 29th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Maybe they could compile [itunes] it with winelib, kinda of what google did with Google Earth. Provided it's written in C++, of course.

Richardky
August 29th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Yahoo Messenger ! up to date with cam and audio yeah :) !!

Ripfox
August 29th, 2007, 06:00 AM

Audacious...XMMS? They function as well as Winamp as far as I can tell.

A_POET
August 29th, 2007, 06:05 AM
sorry another mac one but could easily make a unix version or clone since it basically is powered by unix stuff...

textmate: notepad on steroids!!!

probably the ONLY piece of software that macs getting a mac "worth it"

there is a pc equivalent called e-texteditor that supports textmate bundles etc, and runs on cygwin for the unix....but i would love to see an OSS verison of textmate functionality.

wersdaluv
August 29th, 2007, 06:58 AM
I want to see something like Quicksilver or better for Linux. I know there is Katapult and GNOME Launch Box, but Quicksilver is still better.

tashmooclam
August 29th, 2007, 07:15 AM
I liked Picasa2. Picasa 1 is available for Linux. Picasa2 has a good feature, called "picasaweb".
I'm using F-spot as a poor alternative, and it can send the pics via email only using Evolution.
Otherwise I don't miss anything.

blithen
August 29th, 2007, 07:18 AM

Winamp 3 is going to linux native.

mrgnash
August 29th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Neverwinter Nights 2.

I'm surprised more people haven't said Adobe Photoshop... GIMP is good enough for me, but a lot of people seem to find it lacking.

amgat
August 29th, 2007, 10:27 AM
I am a web developer and use titles like photoshop CS3, illustrator and dreamweaver. Having to use windows just because Adobe don't think Linux is a developer platform disturbs me!. For everything else, i use Linux. (PS: i am forced to use windows at work, but my tux figure on my desk comfort me).

gotonpo
August 29th, 2007, 10:42 AM
foobar2000!

DrumScum
August 29th, 2007, 10:44 AM
iTunes

Ieuw. How can you say that when Linux has Amarok...

awakatanka
August 29th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I liked Picasa2. Picasa 1 is available for Linux. Picasa2 has a good feature, called "picasaweb".
I'm using F-spot as a poor alternative, and it can send the pics via email only using Evolution.
Otherwise I don't miss anything.

Digikam is also making a plugin for picasa web.

http://www.digikam.org/?q=node/241

justleen
August 29th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Hamachi... Yes, its native, and yes it works (yes, i got it working..)
But the windows version is just so much more userfriendly...

augerb
August 29th, 2007, 12:55 PM
anagram
http://getanagram.com/

I used it all the time to grab contact info, calendar info and notes from emails and web pages into my PIM.

One of the few Windows programs I really miss.

henriette_holm
August 29th, 2007, 07:45 PM
you can use kile under gnome, just so you know. i do, and have no complaints.

i've also heard good things about texmaker (though haven't tried it myself).

I thought you would end up with all sorts of KDE stuff installed because of dependencies?

/Henriette

nanotube
August 30th, 2007, 12:53 AM
I thought you would end up with all sorts of KDE stuff installed because of dependencies?

/Henriette

yes, you would :) but... so what? most people can spare a couple hundred megs of disk space these days. :) and besides, since the kde libraries are shared, they are good for any other kde apps you may want to install - so it opens up a whole new world of apps. i think it's worth a couple hundred megs of hd space. :)

but of course, ymmv. that's just my thought on the issue.

ticopelp
August 30th, 2007, 01:03 AM
A really great video editing / burning suite. Nothing I've tried really does it for me.

Paqman
August 30th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Dreamweaver. The Linux web dev offerings are a pale shadow of the real thing.

aquavitae
August 30th, 2007, 06:18 AM
i would like to have windows media player and windows movie maker on linux!http://s1.metaldamage.gr/c.php?uid=16740

Whats windows media player got that amarok and kaffeine haven't? (Other than MS spyware :) )

Gargamella
August 30th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Savage and Savage2 are linux native as rpg games, and I would like as a web designer to have adobe flash native for linux or a real good alternative for this soft.

bobbocanfly
August 30th, 2007, 09:23 AM
I know it works almost perfectly on Wine but i would love a native port of Notepad++. I got soo used to it on Windows and IMHO nothing really lives up to its standard here on Linux.

Would also love to have a port of EAC.

wersdaluv
August 30th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Whats windows media player got that amarok and kaffeine haven't? (Other than MS spyware :) )

I think I just have to agree with the Windows Movie maker part. That really is a nice app. :KS

Acglaphotis
August 30th, 2007, 05:18 PM
I know it works almost perfectly on Wine but i would love a native port of Notepad++. I got soo used to it on Windows and IMHO nothing really lives up to its standard here on Linux.

Notepad++ is based on SCiTe

derekr44
August 30th, 2007, 06:23 PM

Ditto.

Plus I wouldn't mind if there was a Linux client version of iPassConnect and Nortel's VPN Client so I don't have to boot to Windows when I get paged for work...

treis
August 31st, 2007, 08:41 PM
Audacious...XMMS? They function as well as Winamp as far as I can tell.

Neither has a library browser.

mohnkern
August 31st, 2007, 08:43 PM
I still use Windows Movie Maker on my work computer to take AVIs off my digital camera, edit them, and compress them to WMVs to use on websites. I would like to find a Linux equivalent program, and a widely accepted open source format that does as good a job, but Kino and Avidemux have proved to be exercises in frustration.

Any suggestions welcome.

Agreed, there isn't good video editing software out. There are some excellent starts (kdenlive for example), but for quick dirty editing, Movie Maker isn't to be beat.

I'd also love to see a good xorg.conf editor, and also a utility to configure wireless cards.

Wiebelhaus
August 31st, 2007, 08:44 PM

it';s called xDVDshrink , grab it from Automatix.

Vadi
September 12th, 2007, 04:42 PM

Would also love to have a port of EAC.

I'd second that =)

aaaantoine
September 12th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express. SSMSE doesn't run in wine (stupid .NET...), OpenOffice.org Base has a bug that renders it useless to me (bug #131565 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/131565)), and the Java-based SQuirreL SQL seems to not like T-SQL and therefore does not allow me to alter stored procedures.

BLTicklemonster
September 12th, 2007, 05:34 PM
That blue screen thingy. I miss that.

thatswhatshesaid
September 12th, 2007, 05:38 PM
:redface: Age of Empires 2, it's old, I know, it "works" with wine, I know. I miss it and I am going to install windows this weekend for it (of course I'll dual boot with ubuntu for just about everything else). Also I have netflix so if I ever want to watch movies online I'll have to use IE (ugh - even tried IEs4linux without any luck).

macogw
September 12th, 2007, 06:10 PM
No a single one! Found a (good) replacement for all applications that I used in Windows. Could not think of any. I am perfectly happy. :-)

EDIT:
A Linux SMS messenger perhaps. But I have CrossOver Office so I can install Windows programs.
You can SMS using an AIM username on Pidgin/Gaim.

macogw
September 12th, 2007, 06:15 PM

Er...what's missing? Nvu uses proper CSS-based layouts, and as far as i remember, Dreamweaver does that horrid tables thing with all kinds of extraneous markup. I couldn't stand it and switched it to text mode instead of WYSIWYG mode...the guy teaching the apprenticeship really hated that.

epimer
September 12th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Nothing really irreplacable, but I sometimes get pangs for Notepad++, utorrent and maybe foobar2000 - although kate, ktorrent/deluge (or even utorrent in wine) and amarok/exaile are as good or better, IMO.

uzusan
September 12th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I was going to say uTorrent, but since ive set up kTorrent with encryption ive had no problems (azureus would crash at least every time i used it).

Photoshop would be good or better guides for GIMP (some of the tutorials ive been able to find are very outdated).

I quite like scribes as an alternative to notepad++, but it needs more templates installed by default.

You know what i really really want though? (no chance of it happening i dont think)

Spore.

DownTown22
September 12th, 2007, 06:54 PM

I always found Winamp to be kinda ugly and not that nice to use. But hey, that's just me.

I'd like a GOOD program to deal with my Creative Zen Vision:M.....so a Linux version of Creative Media Source.

nanotube
September 12th, 2007, 07:16 PM
I'd second that =)

try scite as a replacement :)

Samhain13
September 12th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Flash!

Or if it is possible, a Flash-like GUI for animating and scripting SVG? Perhaps the bright minds out there can make a plug-in for Inkscape so that users can use it like Flash, only it produces animated SVG (with ActionScript-like functionality) instead of SWF. Hehehehe, that would be great! :D

Vadi
September 12th, 2007, 11:02 PM
I'll give scrite a try then, but as I remember Notepad was based off Scintilla...