PDA

View Full Version : Rant before bed...

Zaskoda
August 28th, 2007, 05:49 AM
I'm moments away from crawling into bed... I just logged on for a bit to check up on some email, social networks, blog posts, etc.

Ubuntu had an update for me... the mozilla plugin wrapper... like any other update, I installed it...

Now my 64 bit flash plugin for firefox isn't working anymore... no flash...

*groan*...

For all the things ubuntu does amazingly well... it's these little things that kill me...

It's almost 11pm... I've got to go to bed... I'm not fighting this battle tonight...

...but I had to rant.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving Ubuntu... I just look forward to getting beyond things like this...

night...

Scarlett
August 28th, 2007, 06:07 AM
I feel your pain. That's always been a struggle for me too.

On my last install I decided to try the 32 bit version and I'm actually finding that more of a challenge than the 64. But neither are really easy.

Best of luck to you.

Motoxrdude
August 28th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Usually i just stick to what works and never upgrade. Upgrades always kill my box. Maybe there is a way to roll back to a previous version?

PrimoTurbo
August 28th, 2007, 06:15 AM
The Ubuntu team just decided that their version of Firefox will remain proprietary FREE, so you will need to compile a custom version if you ever want FLASH again. Flash will never be compatiable with the default Firefox install.

They are on the right track is what I think. Flash is a proprietary POS, ubuntu did what was right. You don't need flash.

Scarlett
August 28th, 2007, 06:40 AM
The Ubuntu team just decided that their version of Firefox will remain proprietary FREE, so you will need to compile a custom version if you ever want FLASH again. Flash will never be compatiable with the default Firefox install.

They are on the right track is what I think. Flash is a proprietary POS, ubuntu did what was right. You don't need flash.

I beg to differ. I need Flash. I also need Quicktime, WMA, Java and all the proprietary drivers that make my peripherals work. I couldn't care less if it's proprietary or not, I just want everything to work. I don't care if it comes with the basic package or if I have to install it myself but if I have to spend more than a few hours trying to figure it out, that's just unreasonable.

I respect that for some people, free as in speech is important. Others of us have different priorities and it shouldn't be that hard to choose what we want. Afterall, isn't this supposed to be all about choice?

PrimoTurbo
August 28th, 2007, 07:51 AM
That was supposed to be a joke :P

Scarlett
August 28th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Oh. My bad.

:biggrin:

DoctorMO
August 28th, 2007, 12:43 PM
I couldn't care less if it's proprietary or not, I just want everything to work.

A contradiction in terms my dear fellow; if it's proprietary then by it's very nature we as programmers are prevented from making it work. When you guys finally realise that the freedom granted in open source is as much about making this work as it is about moral rights you will understand why there is such a backlash against these binary only required blobs, drivers and plugins.

Besides, shouldn't you be moaning at Adobee/Macromedia? we don't make the flash plugin (yet) so it's nothing to do with us and the fact that someone kindly filled in for Adobes responsibility on one occasion doesn't grant you the right to ask it of them every time firefox is updated.