PDA

View Full Version : 10 things I wish I would've known when I first started Ubuntu

tyggna1
August 28th, 2007, 03:49 AM
I love Ubuntu, and I'm at the point now with feisty fawn, that I don't believe I'll ever go back to windows. I'm killing my windows partition soon, because Ubuntu has become comfortable for me. It sure wasn't this way when I first installed it though. I was new to Linux, and didn't know a lot of basic things.

I had used windows for so long, that I think that really handicapped me for the first week or two I had Ubuntu installed. If I would've just not assumed some things, I could've been a lot happier with my new OS from the get-go. Here's my top ten things that I wish I would've known when I first used
Ubuntu.

10. Don't be a jerk.
I didn't have to learn this one the hard way. However, I've seen enough people who feel like they will "win friends and influence people" by belittling them, or by demanding something from them. To set the record straight for everyone that is out there: You are not smarter than anyone else, you are not stupid or "computer illiterate," and nobody else in this forum is either. You may happen to know a little bit more about how to implement a wireless driver using modprobe--but not know anything about GIMP, or how to use it. We share both code and knowledge here, so dig up those preschool manners and learn that sharing is caring.

9. Scoreboard:
Windows: We're the best. Linux: Isn't that swell?

Linux really isn't out there to compete. If we can make your computer run better, and you can get what you want your computer to do out of Ubuntu, then you'll find a lot of friends here at the forums. If you think that Linux has any kind of need or desire to measure up to windows, or any other OS for that matter, than you'll be sorely disappointed with Ubuntu. The dominant attitude with Ubuntu seems to be: Yeah, we're better than windows, but windows has it's uses too. We want Ubuntu to be a windows killer/competitor, simply because it'll make computers cheaper and more efficient.

8. Previous OS is incompatible
I switched from windows. What I knew in windows doesn't apply to Linux. I'm a newbie here. I really do need to learn, and I really do need to take some initiative if I'm going to have the experience I want to have with my computer. In a single phrase--only assume that you know nothing.

7. Doing more with less
That's Ubuntu. It's small, it's quick, and there's it takes less space than a lot of other OSes. Oh sure, you can change that, and you can add features and change settings until your heart's content--but it comes small for a reason. Think of how different every computer is. Now think of how different every computer user is. Kinda a large pool of differences, huh? Ubuntu will come with exactly what you need for 95% of the time you use your computer--and it'll be small and quick. To get that other 5%, you'll have to keep reading. Also, Ubuntu will better utilize just about everything on your computer better for that very reason--it's customized to your system--and doesn't follow the mentality "one size fits all." Hence, with less money/hard drive space/systems specs, you'll be able to do more than you could with other OSes. Occassionally, Ubuntu may require you to actually get a new part for your system. This is rare--but, even if you just do word-processing, it'll be cheaper than the $140 for the new Microsoft Office 2007.

6. Learn how to backup and restore key files in a number of ways.
Nobody likes OS reinstalls--and it's so easy to prevent them in Linux. If you just backup a key file before you try to edit it (like backing up xorg.conf before attempt to use dual monitors) then you can completely avoid an operating system reinstall all together. For some, you'll need to know what to put in on the command-line only--and won't be able to rely on a graphical interface. For others, pressing alt-F2 and typing in gksudo nautilus will be enough--but be warned, if you don't write down how to replace the edited file with the backup, then you might not ever remember where it was on your hard drive, and whether the copied file comes first or second in the cp command.

5. Experiment until you've got the mad scientists beat
Fiddle. Poke. Tweak. Look. Dissect. Record. Conclude. Enjoy! The more you experiment, the more room there is for reward--just remember #6.

4. Blue, pink, or chartreuse?
You can make linux into anything you want. Programmers: This could be the best development environment you've ever seen--but you'll have to customize it yourself. Media enthusiasts: Make the iMac eat its heart out!- but you'll have to customize it yourself. Gamers: You can push your hardware harder than you could before (if only game developers understood that <sigh>) but in all cases: You need to customize it yourself! Rosegarden won't record well without a low-latency kernel attached to it. Anjunta needs a lot of dependant packages installed for you to get the best out of your C++ experience, and video drivers need to have some of their extra features added into xorg.conf to get some sweet eye-candy going.

3. Ubuntu comes in pieces
Remember legos? Erector sets? Mega blocks? Guess what!? That's what Linux is like too! Ubuntu comes with all the essential pieces (in most cases) so you can build off the skeleton. RoseGarden, Amarok, Wine, are all blocks that you add on to your OS to make it run in the exact way that is perfect for you.

2. Getting help takes time, and a plate of cookies
Ubuntu says that it's provided with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY -- this is only kinda true. It comes with a culture that is based off of respect and concern for other people. We respect those who know, and we're concerned about those who need help. The only motivation that the "experts" have is out of the goodness of their hearts. You can't demand anything, but the promise of being a friend to a person who will help you is often reward enough. Be friendly in your posts.

And the most important thing I wish I knew when I started using Ubuntu:
1. Learn how to learn
Reading is a part of life now. You want something to work, expect to do a bit of reading. It takes a bit of research to get something working exactly the way it should in some cases. Be prepared to dig, discover, and learn. You no longer watch the news at night, you read the paper. Linux is for a more educated user base, so learn how to learn.

Feel free to post your comments, or other things that you wish you would've known when you first started out.

tyggna1
August 28th, 2007, 03:54 AM
bump

RRS
August 28th, 2007, 03:57 AM
Very well put!

+1

dwhitney67
August 28th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Have you heard the of the acronym RTFM? I see a lot of newbies that don't want to do this... they want the easy solution. Perhaps this is what is taught in schools today?

Anyhow, sometimes when I post a reply I may comes across as the individual you described in Item 10 of your list, but this is not my intention. I would expect that everybody would do a little independent research before posting a silly question on the forum, but in many cases that does not happen. I guess many Ubuntu Forum subscribers do not "subscribe" to your point of view in Item 1 (which is a great point btw!).

There are many resources on the web beyond the Ubuntu forum, with a lot more experienced folks. Ubuntu is a new kid on the block compared to the other Linux distros, and contrary to popular belief, it is not a unique beast.

Anyhow, it's good to know that you are enjoying Ubuntu. Someday when your system is becoming obsolete and it's time to get another, consider putting Ubuntu on the shiny new system and then experimenting with another distro on the old.

P.S. Item 2 is also applicable to *******.

Gruelius
August 28th, 2007, 04:09 AM
I often ask for help after reading manuals and buggering up my configuration files :P

HellDragon
August 28th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Nice topic

Johnny Rash
August 28th, 2007, 04:22 AM
I'll try and take all those pointers into consideration being a newcomer to Ubuntu myself. Perhaps, I can learn to do things I've never thought of learning before with a user-restricted Windows OS.

tyggna1
August 28th, 2007, 04:23 AM
I often ask for help after reading manuals and buggering up my configuration files :P

not a bad way to go. If Ubuntu is your only OS, however, it's difficult to ask for help if you can't get X to start up. So, you're right, posting and asking for help to repair something is a great idea--I just didn't consider dual-booting when I wrote it.

FuturePilot
August 28th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Great post. Made a lot of sense. Glad to hear Ubuntu is working very well for you.:D

Orbital75
August 28th, 2007, 04:32 AM
Great write up !!!!!! :KS

dasunst3r
August 28th, 2007, 04:35 AM
+1 for you also from a 4th-year Linux user who is still learning.

macogw
August 28th, 2007, 04:37 AM
dead-on! messing with configurations and learning about how everything works make this OS lots of fun

aysiu
August 28th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Since everyone else seems to be giving the +1, I thought I'd point out a few problems I have with some of the points in the original post.

9. Scoreboard:
Windows: We're the best. Linux: Isn't that swell?

Linux really isn't out there to compete. If we can make your computer run better, and you can get what you want your computer to do out of Ubuntu, then you'll find a lot of friends here at the forums. If you think that Linux has any kind of need or desire to measure up to windows, or any other OS for that matter, than you'll be sorely disappointed with Ubuntu. I don't know where you're getting this idea. Ubuntu is one particular Linux distro. Linux, the kernel, may not be out there to compete, but Ubuntu definitely is out there to compete.

From Bug #1 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1):

Bug description
Microsoft has a majority market share in the new desktop PC marketplace. This is a bug, which Ubuntu is designed to fix.

Non-free software is holding back innovation in the IT industry, restricting access to IT to a small part of the world's population and limiting the ability of software developers to reach their full potential, globally. This bug is widely evident in the PC industry.
Steps to repeat:
1. Visit a local PC store.
What happens:
2. Observe that a majority of PCs for sale have non-free software pre-installed.
3. Observe very few PCs with Ubuntu and free software pre-installed.
What should happen:
1. A majority of the PCs for sale should include only free software like Ubuntu.
2. Ubuntu should be marketed in a way such that its amazing features and benefits would be apparent and known by all.
3. The system shall become more and more user friendly as time passes. In case you missed it, Microsoft has a majority market share in the new desktop PC marketplace. This is a bug, which Ubuntu is designed to fix.
7. Doing more with less
That's Ubuntu. It's small, it's quick, and there's less on here than a lot of other OSes. Oh sure, you can change that, and you can add features and change settings until your heart's content--but it comes small for a reason. Think of how different every computer is. Now think of how different every computer user is. Kinda a large pool of differences, huh? Ubuntu will come with exactly what you need for 95% of the time you use your computer--and it'll be small and quick. To get that other 5%, you'll have to keep reading. I don't know what you mean by small. It's a 700 MB installer CD, just like Windows XP. And it actually comes with more, not less. It comes with a complete office suite, a sophisticated image editor, built-in screenshot tool, PDF reader, and text editor with syntax highlighting. It's not more from less. It's more from more.

6. Learn how to backup and restore key files using just the command line.
Nobody likes OS reinstalls--and it's so easy to prevent them in Linux. If you just backup a key file
before you try to edit it (like backing up xorg.conf before attempt to use dual monitors) then you can completely avoid an operating system reinstall all together. But be warned, if you don't write down how to replace the file, then you might not ever remember where it was on your hard drive, and whether the copied file comes first or second in the cp command. Or, better yet, back them up from the graphical user interface. Create a keyboard shortcut or launcher for
gksudo nautilus and you don't have to bother with the command-line.

5. Experiment until you've got the mad scientists beat
Fiddle. Poke. Tweak. Look. Dissect. Record. Conclude. Enjoy! The more you experiment, the more room there is for reward--just remember #6. I'd advise this only if you have time to learn. If you have a perfectly working system and just want to get work done, there's little point in breaking your system.

3. Ubuntu comes in pieces
Remember legos? Erector sets? Mega blocks? Guess what!? That's what Linux is like too! Ubuntu comes with all the essential pieces (in most cases) so you can build off the skeleton. RoseGarden, Amarok, Wine, are all blocks that you add on to your OS to make it run in the exact way that is perfect for you. Actually, the whole point of Ubuntu is that you get the essential pieces already put together. If you want to bother with a skeleton, Gentoo or Linux from Scratch are better choices.

1. Learn how to learn
Reading is a part of life now. You want something to work, expect to do a bit of reading. It takes a bit of research to get something working exactly the way it should in some cases. Be prepared to dig, discover, and learn. You no longer watch the news at night, you read the paper. Linux is for a more educated user base, so learn how to learn. I'd say be open-minded. If someone sets up Linux for you, you don't really need to do a lot of reading and research, but you do have to be willing to try something that looks a little different or behaves slightly differently.

dondad
August 28th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Since everyone else seems to be giving the +1, I thought I'd point out a few problems I have with some of the points in the original post. I don't know where you're getting this idea. Ubuntu is one particular Linux distro. Linux, the kernel, may not be out there to compete, but Ubuntu definitely is out there to compete.

From Bug #1 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1): In case you missed it, Microsoft has a majority market share in the new desktop PC marketplace. This is a bug, which Ubuntu is designed to fix. I don't know what you mean by small. It's a 700 MB installer CD, just like Windows XP. And it actually comes with more, not less. It comes with a complete office suite, a sophisticated image editor, built-in screenshot tool, PDF reader, and text editor with syntax highlighting. It's not more from less. It's more from more.

Or, better yet, back them up from the graphical user interface. Create a keyboard shortcut or launcher for
gksudo nautilus and you don't have to bother with the command-line.

I'd advise this only if you have time to learn. If you have a perfectly working system and just want to get work done, there's little point in breaking your system.

Actually, the whole point of Ubuntu is that you get the essential pieces already put together. If you want to bother with a skeleton, Gentoo or Linux from Scratch are better choices.

I'd say be open-minded. If someone sets up Linux for you, you don't really need to do a lot of reading and research, but you do have to be willing to try something that looks a little different or behaves slightly differently.

I would disagree a bit with #6. The graphical interface may be OK for backing up, but it is kind of hard to use for restore when x is broken. How well I know this ;-) You reall need to know how to use cp from the command line. I like to tinker, and being new to linux, I break things fairly regularly.

I always try to read and search for stuff before asking, and most of the time I can find the answers, but the forums are great about helping in the ones that I cannot find. (or maybe understand ;-))

Scarlett
August 28th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Have you heard the of the acronym RTFM? I see a lot of newbies that don't want to do this...

There's a FM T R? Not that it would do me much good because my eyes just glaze over when I'm looking at technical documentation. In my defense, I always do a search on the boards to see if anyone's received any helpful answers to whatever headache I'm trying to resolve and 9 times out of 10 I don't have to bother anyone with my problems. But documentation is one of Linux's shortcomings.

But mostly what I wish I knew then... what I still wish I knew... is how to make embedded windows media files work. I've installed and tweaked and broken and reinstalled so many times now. And every single time that's the one thing I continually fight with. I still haven't managed to make it work with my current install but I keep telling myself that one of these days I'm going to get rid of my dying HDD and install the new one I've got sitting right next to me and then I'll figure it out.

The only other thing I wish I knew was that I wish I had had known about Ubuntu sooner. I can't believe I wasted so much money trying to make a Windows box secure when the obvious choice was sitting right there for free.

eentonig
August 28th, 2007, 06:45 AM
As usual, aysiu succeeds yet again in putting things in perspective.

Although I don't agree with graphical backup either. At least, not entirely. Yes, we should keep thriving to get everything done GUI wise. But for the moment, CLI can' t be abandoned. And when messing with xorg.conf, I would prefer people to take their backup the hard way, so I at least have more confidence they'll find it back when X breaks on it. (Let's hope Gutsy truly delivers what it's promising with fail-safe X)

HermanAB
August 28th, 2007, 07:30 AM
My coffee mug says 'RTFM'. It is not for other people - when I hold the mug, the 'RTFM' faces me directly. It is a not so subtle reminder...

I guess most Linux newcomers (and many not so newcomers) are unaware of The Linux Documentation Project at http://www.tldp.org and the O'Reilly books.

jgrabham
August 28th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Have you heard the of the acronym RTFM?

Its up there with PEBCAK :lolflag:

Jongleur
August 28th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I

1. Learn how to learn
Reading is a part of life now. You want something to work, expect to do a bit of reading. It takes a bit of research to get something working exactly the way it should in some cases. Be prepared to dig, discover, and learn. You no longer watch the news at night, you read the paper. Linux is for a more educated user base, so learn how to learn.

As a Linux newbie of one month, and a computer user of 30 years, that's precisely why I'm ditching Windows. I don't want my hand held any more. I want my computer to do the things that I want it to do, in the way I want it to, and not the way that someone in Silicon Valley thinks it should do it for me.

To achieve that I know I'll have to read a lot, get things wrong, probably tear my hair out, and maybe at times want to give up - and that's when I'll turn to you guys. The best thing of all is - I know I'm joining a world-wide community. Ain't that something!

forrestcupp
August 28th, 2007, 02:11 PM
About 3. Ubuntu comes in pieces

So does Windows. Windows is pretty empty if you do a clean install. You have to add to it anything you want to be productive. The difference is that with Ubuntu, you get all of the pieces free of charge, and you get a lot of the pieces installed by default.

JAPrufrock
August 28th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Linux really isn't out there to compete. If we can make your computer run better, and you can get what you want your computer to do out of Ubuntu, then you'll find a lot of friends here at the forums. If you think that Linux has any kind of need or desire to measure up to windows, or any other OS for that matter, than you'll be sorely disappointed with Ubuntu.

Just to support what AYSIU already wrote in this thread, Linux is out there to compete. From a ideological point of view many of us have switched to using a Linux distro because of our visceral objection to Microsoft, as well as to proprietary software. From a technical point of view I consider Feisty Ubuntu to be a better OS than XP, and if I had to choose between the two today, I would choose Feisty.

aysiu
August 28th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Well, it's not really Linux out there to compete... it's certain Linux distros, and those include Ubuntu.

Other Linux distros are not out there to compete, but we're talking about Ubuntu specifically.

About the graphical backup, yes, I see that for /etc/X11/xorg.conf you would have to use the command-line if your X was totally shot, but the original post talked about keys, and used xorg.conf as only one example. Keys (plural) refers to more than one configuration file.

tyggna1
August 28th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Well, it's not really Linux out there to compete... it's certain Linux distros, and those include Ubuntu.

I guess I need to clear some things up. I meant to convey the seemingly dominant attitude of Ubuntu users. A lot of us dual-boot. All of us would love to have a PC that came with Ubuntu pre-loaded and was $120 cheaper. However, windows executives tell their underlings everyday, "We must destroy apple, we must destroy linux, we must be the best!"
Apple likely says, "we need to gain a market share!" and everything they do is based around that.
I don't think many of us see Ubuntu as "killing windows" rather, we see it as, "an increasingly more viable alternative." Killing windows is nice, but I've found a lot of people who simply see that as a secondary goal to creating a usable and powerful OS.

Don't get me wrong, I, personally, want to kill windows :D.

Also: I'll include gksudo nautilus in the origional post--thanks for the suggestions!

As for doing more with less:
The XP install, after it's fully unpacked and all your drivers are loaded takes up about 4 gigs in the base directory. Vista--takes about 21 gigs. I don't know how much space MacOS takes up on default, but all those are without any additional applications (office and such). I was able to have a fully functional OS with Ubuntu on a 2gig partition--hence, doing more (word-processing, having alternatives with my browser--ect.) with less (hard drive space and compute power).

tyggna1
August 29th, 2007, 12:24 AM
bumped to get reviews on the recently edited post.

Ozor Mox
August 29th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Vista--takes about 21 gigs.

What?! Surely not! :confused:

Tux Aubrey
August 29th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Nice list and a good discussion. IMO the best Ubuntu resource out there is the "Search" tool on these forums. I know that 9 out of 10 times I've needed help or advice, I find that its been done before.

tyggna1
August 29th, 2007, 05:19 AM
What?! Surely not! :confused:

Add it up: Windows directory + Program files directory right after install. Vista comes on a very FULL DVD--so a compressed 9gig disk, factor in hotfixes and updates, and by the time you have the latest and greatest version out there--with Vista Business--you're using 21 gigs. I think home premium is a bit less, but not by much. Vista Ultimate --I have heard rumors that it gets up to 30 gigs.

But, I am fairly certain that Vista Business takes 21 gigs of space.

owenb@theofficenet.com
August 29th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Amen!
You covered it quite well.
I know there are many old duffers ans some not old duffers such as myself who have become so accustomed to the written word on paper that visuals on the screen just don't seem "comfortable".
Many years ago when I had my first computer I found a magazine called PC Novice that was tailered for real novices. The articles assumed you knew nothing and buit on that assumption step by step in explaination or directions. Althogh the name has changed (Smart Computing) I still subscribe.
I had hopes for the now defunct Linux on line magazine, "Tux". I had hoped it would become available in a print edition. There is a crying need out there for a magazine tailored for "real" newbies.

tyggna1
September 1st, 2007, 08:41 PM
a bump

tyggna1
September 4th, 2007, 04:07 AM
another bump--I really want feedback so I can fix what needs fixin'

Frak
September 4th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Great Post =D>

Aishiko
September 4th, 2007, 04:47 AM
another bump--I really want feedback so I can fix what needs fixin'
Perhaps you could ask to have this thread stickied?

tyggna1
September 5th, 2007, 04:38 AM
May I get this stickied? If not, what should I change to get this stickier?

3rdalbum
September 5th, 2007, 06:54 AM
7. Doing more with less

chris@compaq:~$ more | less
usage: more [-dflpcsu] [+linenum | +/pattern] name1 name2 ...
(END)

Doing more with less doesn't do anything :-P

tyggna1
September 5th, 2007, 05:25 PM
chris@compaq:~$ more | less
usage: more [-dflpcsu] [+linenum | +/pattern] name1 name2 ...
(END)

Doing more with less doesn't do anything :-P

that is hilarious!

aysiu
September 5th, 2007, 05:32 PM
May I get this stickied? If not, what should I change to get this stickier?
I don't see any reason to sticky this.

Frak
September 5th, 2007, 09:55 PM
I don't see any reason to sticky this.
Its a good code of ethics to read before you post. Just like your post about Ubuntu in the Absolute Beginners Forum.

aysiu
September 5th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Its a good code of ethics to read before you post. Just like your post about Ubuntu in the Absolute Beginners Forum.
I don't have a sticky in the Absolute Beginner forum.

Frak
September 5th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Oh, I thought that Is Ubuntu for You? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=63315) Thread was stickied, never mind.

aysiu
September 5th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Oh, I thought that Is Ubuntu for You? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=63315) Thread was stickied, never mind.
It was stickied at one point, but then the staff decided the sticky area was too cluttered (and I agree), so they just made it a link inside another sticky.

Frak
September 5th, 2007, 10:43 PM
It was stickied at one point, but then the staff decided the sticky area was too cluttered (and I agree), so they just made it a link inside another sticky.
Good to know, I thought I was starting to go insane :lolflag:

UI-Freak
September 5th, 2007, 11:16 PM

It is not a "code of ethics" - it is merely an opinion. Let people have their own opinions. They may disagree with this "you will have to learn a lot of stuff", fx. Usability is about erasing the need for manuals. Lets put it this way: "if you are not a male and/or not a computer enthusiast, this OS may not appeal to you".

aysiu
September 5th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Lets put it this way: "if you are not a male and/or not a computer enthusiast, this OS may not appeal to you". Is there something about Ubuntu that's anti-female? Why do you have to be male in order for Ubuntu to appeal to you?

K.Mandla
September 5th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Lets put it this way: "if you are not a male and/or not a computer enthusiast, this OS may not appeal to you".
Whoops. I'd better go tell my mom.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=156175

zach12
September 5th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Linux is legos for computer

Aishiko
September 6th, 2007, 04:32 AM
It is not a "code of ethics" - it is merely an opinion. Let people have their own opinions. They may disagree with this "you will have to learn a lot of stuff", fx. Usability is about erasing the need for manuals. Lets put it this way: "if you are not a male and/or not a computer enthusiast, this OS may not appeal to you".
hmmmmm, perhaps he was born inthe wrong centry/decade.

To set your watch to the local time please advance your watch 70 years.

DjBones
September 6th, 2007, 05:15 AM
most of my hassles could have been saved with the foreknowledge of the command:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
haha.. all that time bumbling around in links..