PDA

View Full Version : Transcend Card Reader (USB 2.0) freezes when copying a file to a CF card

Cockroach
August 1st, 2005, 07:35 PM
I'm having problems with my card reader, I use Transcend Card reader (USB 2.0) which has CF, MMC/SD and SmartMedia slots.

Until few days ago it worked like a charm, but now I'm the card reader freezes when I try to copy something into my CF. The output of dmesg doesn't give any indication of error, I cannot unmount the CF or kill the 'cp' process.

The file which I try to copy is not that big, only about 10MB (Familiar Linux JFFS2 image).

Oh, another symptoms include... If I kill the Xserver after that freezing has happened and re-login, Ubuntu displays my desktop background and waits... waits some more... and says "HAL could not be initialized" (or something close to that) and no icons nor upper/lower panels appear. Only thing left is to CTRL+ALT+Backspace followed by CTRL+ALT+DEL or selecting 'Reboot' from the login screen. This leads to textmode, which does... nothing. Only way to reboot is to press reset switch.

Is/are there some other logfile(s) (addition to dmesg) which I could try to check in order to learn more?
Anyone else having the same problems?
Fix suggestions?

sjmorgan
August 2nd, 2005, 06:11 PM
Fix suggestions?Start by posting to the right forum. You could also try filing a bug (http://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/).

Cockroach
August 3rd, 2005, 08:19 AM
Start by posting to the right forum. You could also try filing a bug (http://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/).
Ok, my bad. But what would be the right forum for backports related problems? Plain "Ubuntu Backports"?
I also checked the sticky about reporting bugs, but decided first to try this forum before signing up yet another account, thus adding another password to be remembered.

Darrena
August 3rd, 2005, 05:59 PM
Ok, my bad. But what would be the right forum for backports related problems? Plain "Ubuntu Backports"?
I also checked the sticky about reporting bugs, but decided first to try this forum before signing up yet another account, thus adding another password to be remembered.

I don't think this has anything to do with any package that was backported or am I mistaken? If it does please post the package itself so it can be looked into.

Thanks