PDA

View Full Version : New to Alabama Ubuntu

WillieDaPimp
August 27th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Hi, I've just joined the Alabama Ubuntu LoCo Team. I am from Gadsden, Alabama and am currently attending Gadsden State Community College working towards a Computer Science degree in computer programming. I have been using linux since Slackware had like 50 floppies you had to install. I had a break from linux and computers all together from 1998 to 2001 while I was in the US Army. I have used just about all the different distros and have recently decided to stick to Ubuntu, not because it is my favorite, but because it is the most popular and I think it has the potential to eventually be my favorite, and because I see it growing and going places. Just thought I would introduce myself and hopefully will get to meet some of you guys/girls if I am able to make it to the LUGFest at UAB on Sept. 22, 2007...

BTW...Alot of people think that I think I am a pimp and/or good-looking and a ladies man due to my nickname. That is far from true....my nickname comes from an old Frank Zappa song that I listened to as a kid, and I started using it as a nick on IRC before Linus had made the first release of linux....my nick has been with me since about 1990.

Anyway, I'm proud to be an Alabama Linux user, and an AlabamaUbuntu member. Thanks

crane
August 27th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Thanks for joining man! Look forward to meeting you at the Lugfest. Any chance you would be interested in giving a presentation?

MerlinsLair
August 27th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Welcome WillieDaPimp! Glad to have another come on board.

Watch out for Crane....he's in a hiring mood! LOL Hope to see you in September.

WillieDaPimp
August 27th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Crane, maybe at the next lugfest.......right now in between school and watching my two daughters one month is not really enough time to prepare for something like that.....i'd love to give a presentation if only i had the time to prepare....i'm taking a speech class this semester so maybe at the next lugfest i'll be more prepared and better at giving speeches and all that jazz, i have only given one presentation before at a Colorado lugfest and it went pretty good, but that was before school and kids, so i'll take a rain check this time, but you can fill me in a slot for the next one

:)

crane
August 28th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Crane, maybe at the next lugfest.......right now in between school and watching my two daughters one month is not really enough time to prepare for something like that.....i'd love to give a presentation if only i had the time to prepare....i'm taking a speech class this semester so maybe at the next lugfest i'll be more prepared and better at giving speeches and all that jazz, i have only given one presentation before at a Colorado lugfest and it went pretty good, but that was before school and kids, so i'll take a rain check this time, but you can fill me in a slot for the next one

:)

Not a problem. The next lugfest it is! Hope you can make it to this one. I hope to be getting a list of local hotels for those who travel to it.
I understand about taming .. er. ..I mean taking care of children. I have two myself. That's where we were last night PTO meeting and helping the school.

lemonseed
September 18th, 2007, 05:40 AM
I'm also a new resident in the state of Alabama and still fairly new to Ubuntu as I've been messing around with it for only the past couple of months. Just saying hello for now, but I'm sure you'll see me blabbing about something here eventually.

/wave

crane
September 19th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Welcome Lemonseed. Please feel free to babble! I do a good bit of babbling myself when I get the chance!

WillieDaPimp
September 19th, 2007, 03:43 AM
Lemonseed, welcome, hopefully you can join at the lugfest this Saturday. It should be alot of fun.....and any questions with ubuntu or linux in general feel free to ask, if we can't help we will certainly point you in the right direction

Crane....what time does the LUGfest start?!?!?!?

Oculus
November 2nd, 2007, 08:01 PM
Hey fellas. I'm new to the forum. Found it through a facebook group I created in the UAH network titled "Ubuntu is > Vista". Someone by the name of Ricky Campbell posted the link.

I'm a software engineer here in Huntsville, AL, been re-indoctrinated into the Linux world after being away from it for quite a while. I dabbled in Redhat for a while in high school/early college, but eventually was sucked back into windows after not having any immediate professional contact with it.

I'm now back 100% on Linux thanks to Ubuntu. I didn't really see Redhat as a valid mainstream desktop alternative to Windows until they got some of their basic installation, driver support, and rpm dependency hell under wraps. I found it hard to spread the word of Linux to my friends and family when they would ask questions like "does it work with X" and I'd have to say... "yes, but you'll have to go into the command line and do X"... immediate loss of interest would ensue.

After hearing all the hubub about Ubuntu I decided to check it out (since I had been refreshed in the art of linux command line and compilation in my job while using Redhat). I haven't looked back. I'm not a Microsoft hater, I actually think the MS developers are very smart guys, but I just don't like the performance+security problems+cost I had to deal with in Vista.

As far as participation, I am actually curious about the development process and anything that goes into contributing to help Ubuntu move into the mainstream. It's my opinion that we're close to the tipping point. I'm not sure how much time I have to contribute, but I can't really know that until I see what's going on.

michaelramm
November 3rd, 2007, 01:44 AM
Welcome aboard!

You are joining us in the nick of time! We have reinvigorated our group in the last week and we are moving forward!

We have regular meetings on our IRC channel(#ubuntu-alabama on freenode.net) on Thursdays at 9:00pm (that is a new time decided last night). We had a GREAT meeting last night. You can see the log of the meeting at our wiki site at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AlabamaTeam/Meetings.

Our focus is to spread the word in Alabama. I highly recommend getting involved with the Ubuntu Community to help out also. I am joining the Documentation and Training teams as my part. There are so many opportunities to help, the list is endless.

Look over our Wiki site. That is our main hub, and is undergoing a major renovation at the moment. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask on the list, which you should also join at https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-us-al.

Michael

fiskking
January 10th, 2008, 11:28 PM
hey guys and gals. just happen to see this forum within the main forums on here. I have been using Ubuntu since August of last year (2nd. distro ever used, prior to this was Slackware back in ´99?). I live in the Florence area practically all my life and will be leaving for the knoxville are within the next month or so. take care guys

cambams
January 11th, 2008, 12:58 AM
hello out there.
I don't know how to start a new thread so will just reply to this one.
If this is all wrong tell me and I will try to do better next time.
I install ubuntu a few years ago but have been busy trying to retire.Just installed 7.10 and would like to be a part of your team.
I am really a newbie of a very green color.
Will try to join the meeting tonight if power stays on.
Jim Malone
Kimberly, AL. cambams