PDA

View Full Version : Do you like American football?

forrestcupp
August 27th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Let's put aside all arguments about how the Americans stole the name and that they don't use their feet much. Let's put aside the argument that American football is a cop-off of rugby (it's really evolved into something a lot different). If those are your only reasons for not liking American football, then you really haven't given it a chance, and that is prejudice.

Do you like American football?

Go Colts!

jrusso2
August 27th, 2007, 01:56 PM
da Bears

killaray
August 27th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Colts and not because they won last year... ive been a fan since Edgerrin's entrance in 98 eventhough he's not there... his new team sucks *** so i stayed with Payton and Harrison and of course my boy Bob Sanders

fuscia
August 27th, 2007, 02:00 PM
just hand bob craft the trophy, now.

monsieurdozier
August 27th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I don't like American football. I don't want to see a group of large guys pushing and straining against one another in a pit of sweat and blood, trying desperately to move an inflated piece of pigskin a few yards.

Not my thing.

That and I just don't care about a bunch of people getting paid millions of dollars to play a game. That goes for basically all sports.

Monsieur Dozier

zach12
August 27th, 2007, 02:02 PM
NO!:confused:

Perfect Storm
August 27th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Well, American football is a rare site where I live. But when the rare chances happens that TV shows it I curious watching it....but I can't still figure how the rules are etc.

graabein
August 27th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I love American football even though I don't get to see much here in Norway/Europe. I try to find games on torrent from time to time... don't have a favorite team or anything.

I actually am a NBA basketball fan at heart but the season don't start until october or something so I'll watch NFL for now.

Go Suns!!

adamklempner
August 27th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Go Patriots!! \\:D/

emrextreme
August 27th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Compare with Rugby, NFL really rules! I can't think a year without Super Bowl!!!

notwen
August 27th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Despite half of them being criminals. GO BENGALS !!

WHO DEY !

If you're in the Tri-State area please support the Bengals and your local Wendys by trying a Who-Dey Burger today ! Purchase any large combo and receive a Bengals 07-08 schedule cup too !

fuscia
August 27th, 2007, 02:24 PM

this is the correct response.

forrestcupp
August 27th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Well, American football is a rare site where I live. But when the rare chances happens that TV shows it I curious watching it....but I can't still figure how the rules are etc.
Yeah, it took me a while to get the rules down. It's much more enjoyable when you understand how things work. You start to see that it is a very strategic game, and it's not just a bunch of jocks beating each other up.

But if you never get to see it, it may not be worth investing a lot of time into learning, unless you're just that curious.

Sacrilege!

mcurtiss1970
August 27th, 2007, 02:51 PM
as much as i laugh at how americans can love a sport with 5 minutes of action in a 4 hour game and yet still mock soccer for being boring; i love my Patriots!!!

scrooge_74
August 27th, 2007, 02:57 PM
I used to watch lots of the games when I was younger, but now that I am married I dont have that much time and my wife keeps asking me about the rules which she does not understand a bit.

It took me like an entire season to understand the rules. I do like the strategy and the endless formations in defense and offense. Last few years local channels have switched over to the Champions League so bit by bit the NFL is loosing its audience here.

rajeevbhatta
August 27th, 2007, 03:06 PM
da bears............................................. ...............................
.................................................. ...............................

wolfger
August 27th, 2007, 03:13 PM
I want to like American football, but my home team is the Detroit Lions, which really lends itself much more to making me hate the sport. If you're familiar at all with the NFL, you'll understand.

tcpip4lyfe
August 27th, 2007, 03:14 PM
College football! Go hawkeyes!

MetalMusicAddict
August 27th, 2007, 03:31 PM
♫ Hail to the Redskins...♫

Eddie Wilson
August 27th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Good Day All,
The NFL has too much money to keep up with but its ok. What I like the most is college ball. Go Va.Tech.
Eddie

mips
August 27th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Nope, don't like it. To much interuption in the game (stopping, starting) and it does not flow.
Way to many ad breaks in between but that is common with all american tv.

Disstress
August 27th, 2007, 03:56 PM
just hand bob craft the trophy, now.

QFT:guitar:

nbkr
August 27th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I love football. The first match I've seen was the World Bowl Endgame this summer.

Unfortunately the closed the NFLE. So I had to change from "Go Frankfurt Galaxy" to "Go Aschaffenburg Stallions" (thats the local football team here) - at least when I want to see a live match. :-)

ThinkBuntu
August 27th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Redskins fan my whole life. Saints are gonne take it this year - the Pats' D is too old and will be banged up pretty badly by Week 12, and Brees isn't going to be denied this year. Payton, NO's coach, is defensively-minded, so the D should improve as well. Check their roster - that team's stacked.

zgornel
August 27th, 2007, 04:44 PM
The fact that is played mainly in the US (if not only there) should give you a hint. Real men play rugby. :guitar:

NeoChaosX
August 27th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Niners fan here. I've got hope they actually might make the playoffs this year, but that exhibition against the Bears a couple days ago dimmed those hopes a little bit... :(

forrestcupp
August 27th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I used to watch lots of the games when I was younger, but now that I am married I dont have that much time and my wife keeps asking me about the rules which she does not understand a bit.

I'm lucky. I got my wife interested in NFL a few years ago and now she's a huge fan. We never miss a Colts game unless we're forced to. It's nice not having to fight a wife when I want to watch a game. I can't wait for regular season to start.

I wonder if the Raiders will finally have a chance at winning a game. They got Dominic Rhodes from us and they just got Daunte Culpepper. Too bad they lost Moss before they got Culpepper. I don't like the Raiders; I just hate seeing a team be as pitiful as they have been.

fuscia
August 27th, 2007, 05:57 PM
as much as i laugh at how americans can love a sport with 5 minutes of action in a 4 hour game and yet still mock soccer for being boring; i love my Patriots!!!

well, soccer is non-stop boredom. that's why they have so many soccer riots: it's something to do.

Hairy_Palms
August 27th, 2007, 06:12 PM
its lame, simple as, they stop every thirty seconds, everyone runs into each other, they all fall over and one person picks ther ball up runs all the way to the end everyone cheers rinse repeat., yeah, enjoyable watching right there....
football is a much better game, it requires skill and talent far beyond american football, ronaldhino's big toe has more skill than an entire team of american footballers.

ThinkBuntu
August 27th, 2007, 06:41 PM
żż??

A standard football game has 60 minutes of regulation.

jgrabham
August 27th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Footballs for people who dont understand hockey :D

ThinkBuntu
August 27th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Footballs for people who dont understand hockey :D
The two games are unrelated, except that some cities have a team for each sport. Football's almost certainly a more difficult sport to understand than Hockey. If I had to rank North American sports in order of complexity and difficulty to understand for a newcomer, it would go:

Baseball
Football
Hockey
Basketball

jgrabham
August 27th, 2007, 06:57 PM
The two games are unrelated, except that some cities have a team for each sport. Football's almost certainly a more difficult sport to understand than Hockey. If I had to rank North American sports in order of complexity and difficulty to understand for a newcomer, it would go:

Baseball
Football
Hockey
Basketball

You think Hockeys easy to understand?

Ok, so do you know the difference between cross-checking and slashing, do you understand the offside rule, do you know both sets of Icing rules (both NHL and IIHF) The difference between a check and charging?

I know a lot of hockey fans who dont know these, there a lot more, but I wont keep going on.

Mr. Pepper
August 27th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Not a fan of American Football, but I am of Canadian football.....only because I get free tickets every once in a while..... It's something to do on a Tuesday night....

mcurtiss1970
August 27th, 2007, 07:22 PM
żż??

A standard football game has 60 minutes of regulation.

i should have been more clear. 5 minutes of 60 is action.

ADH
August 27th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I am a Baltimore Ravens fan who will never get over Bob Irsay sneaking the Baltimore Colts out of Baltimore in the dark of night, and the NFL not requiring him to leave the name and colors in Baltimore, where they belonged (as was rightfully done with the Browns name in Cleveland when that team was moved to Baltimore after Baltimore was not granted the expansion team it deserved during the rigged(Anywhere But Baltimore NFL expansion farce.) With the importance of Baltimore and her Colts to the history of the NFL, letting that name leave was inexcusable. Indianapolis could and should have named the relocated team the 500s, or the Racers, or some other name that have a connection to Indianapolis, as Colts had a connection to Baltimore.

When Baltimore had a CFL team for two years, I enjoyed that game. It's more wide open than American football, despite or beecause of three downs to get a first down rather than four, due to the 12th player and the larger field. Baltimore is the only U.S. city to ever win a Grey Cup (CFL title.) Our team moved to Montreal when the Ravens arrived

As for the name "football," a Jamaican friend claims Americans play "handball." Soccer is football. I haven't asked her about rugby and Australian football. All the games have fans, and as long as fans and media know what game they're talking about, does the name really matter? I know what sport is referred to when I hear "World Cup," just as I do when I hear "Super Bowl," even though both sports are called "football."

forrestcupp
August 27th, 2007, 08:29 PM
its lame, simple as, they stop every thirty seconds, everyone runs into each other, they all fall over and one person picks ther ball up runs all the way to the end everyone cheers rinse repeat., yeah, enjoyable watching right there....
football is a much better game, it requires skill and talent far beyond american football, ronaldhino's big toe has more skill than an entire team of american footballers.

I won't argue that soccer is a good game that takes a lot of endurance and dexterity. But it's clear that you don't understand American Football so you really shouldn't bash it out of ignorance. There's a lot of strategy involved. It's not just people running into each other and running down the field.

regomodo
August 27th, 2007, 08:38 PM
NO. Rugby Union is a mans sport. Not American Football and neither is football. Get rid of the padding and helmets and do more than playing for few seconds at a time for longer then you may have a case. Wait, that's rugby.

Nope, don't like it. To much interuption in the game (stopping, starting) and it does not flow.

True, true

proalan
August 27th, 2007, 08:46 PM
NO. Rugby Union is a mans sport. Not American Football and neither is football. Get rid of the padding and helmets and do more than playing for few seconds at a time for longer then you may have a case. Wait, that's rugby.
True, true

I suppose there will be a 'do you like rugby?' thread starting soon then.

No I'm not a fan of american football.
Is there a non american who likes it? just out of interest.

jgrabham
August 27th, 2007, 08:59 PM

Its on TV over here quite a lot - way more than Hockey is which isn't fair, because Hockey actually is fairly big over here.

Anyway any sport where you get sent off for the whole match just for punching someone is crap :]

Swarms
August 27th, 2007, 09:12 PM
I suppose there will be a 'do you like rugby?' thread starting soon then.

No I'm not a fan of american football.

In Denmark it have turned out to an excuse to eat lots of food and drink lots of beer, American brand ofc.

A couple of my friends like wrestling too, but that is most because of the laugh.

Me personally, not a big sports person, though American Football is a blast to play even without gear in a muddy field.

Papi-KB7VGW
August 27th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Used to. I grew up in the Lou Groza era as a Cleveland Browns fan and Bob Feller of the Indians. Then I discovered the worlds game and have never gone back.:)

regomodo
August 27th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Its on TV over here quite a lot - way more than Hockey is which isn't fair, because Hockey actually is fairly big over here.

Anyway any sport where you get sent off for the whole match just for punching someone is crap :]

yeah. i much prefer hockey. can't remember the joke exactly but i think it goes something like "i went to the ice rink hoping to see a fight but a hockey match broke out."

jgrabham
August 27th, 2007, 09:26 PM
yeah. i much prefer hockey. can't remember the joke exactly but i think it goes something like "i went to the ice rink hoping to see a fight but a hockey match broke out."

What? Another English Hokey fan!!??

Who do you support? Blaze - I hate you. Steelers - I hate you :]

Arent Vipers fans so nice :]

(even wearing a T-shirt wich says "Elite Ice Hockey - Vipers" right now!!):lolflag:

goumples
August 27th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I'm American, but no I'm not a football fan. In fact the only sports I EVER watch is baseball (unless of course you consider Poker a sport :( )

amazingtaters
August 27th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I was born a KC Chiefs fan and I will die a Chiefs fan. They are by far my favourite team, but I also like the 49'ers, the Colts, and the Pats.

Coldkill
August 27th, 2007, 11:26 PM
I think professional athletes get paid way too much

LookTJ
August 27th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Seahawks!!!

mcurtiss1970
August 27th, 2007, 11:47 PM
I think half the allure of american football is the spectacle factor. colts at pats. florida at tennessee. OSU at the big house. those are events!!!

but take away the crowd and the vibe, i'm not sure i'd be as interested. imagine watching a game where no one attended and the stdium was silent. not sure it would be the same.

ThinkBuntu
August 28th, 2007, 04:15 AM
I think half the allure of american football is the spectacle factor. colts at pats. florida at tennessee. OSU at the big house. those are events!!!

but take away the crowd and the vibe, i'm not sure i'd be as interested. imagine watching a game where no one attended and the stdium was silent. not sure it would be the same.
That's actually more my feeling when I watch soccer. The game may not be too interesting, but the electric environment makes it seem more entertaining.

snowbalrog
August 28th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Sure.. I'm a Colts fan.. but I also like the Steelers, the Rams, and the Bucs. Gators for college ball.

DarkDancer
August 28th, 2007, 05:11 AM
I don't like sports.

Dimitriid
August 28th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Complains about the game being stopped too much are weak to me: Unlike most other sports personal ability is meaningless if not successfully applied to a carefully thought game plan and strategy. Being "stopped" so much means players and coaches actually have to think about what they need to do to succeed .

Forgive me if im not interested on those other "fast" paced sports you mention, watching mindless physical contests bores me to tears. I couldn't care less if some of the football players are mindless "jocks", all armies need cannon fodder troops anyway, the fact is that until any of you tries to coach a professional level football game and succeed then you don't know what you're talking about.

badbadputer
August 28th, 2007, 05:15 AM
9ers, yeah baby! :biggrin:

steven8
August 28th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Of course I like American Football. it was what I was raised with. I have been a Browns and Dolphins fan during my life. Browns all the way through, and Dolphins back when they were undefeated in '72. Yep, a band-wagon guy. But I have an excuse. . .I was 7 yrs old. :)

Nobody remembers in post-Jim Brown times that Leroy Kelly led the AFC in rushing 9 yrs straight for the Browns. The team just didn't win.

I am also an Ohio State Buckeyes fan. Woody Hayes was an ***, but he produced kick butt near error-free winning teams! But again, that goes with my territory - mideast Ohio.

forrestcupp
August 28th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I was born a KC Chiefs fan and I will die a Chiefs fan. They are by far my favourite team, but I also like the 49'ers, the Colts, and the Pats.

It's impossible to like the Colts and the Pats.

Dimitriid
August 28th, 2007, 02:41 PM
What is with the Pats love btw? LT had it right when he said the whole team has attitude problems that come straight from the head coach. Besides as much talent as they have, we all know they got to where they are ( the tuck ) and stay there ( watch most of they playoff games ) with dubious calls and dumb luck, not just talent or good playing.

The Raiders will raise again and put em in their place mark my words. My guess is people get some fascination of rooting for the winners all the time ( by looking at this thread I can see how the last superbowl winners are magically the most popular teams even when they stunk up the place like the Steelers last year )

fuscia
August 28th, 2007, 02:44 PM
What is with the Pats love btw? LT had it right when he said the whole team has attitude problems that come straight from the head coach. Besides as much talent as they have, we all know they got to where they are ( the tuck ) and stay there ( watch most of they playoff games ) with dubious calls and dumb luck, not just talent or good playing.

The Raiders will raise again and put em in their place mark my words.

this will be the first season the patriots have a ton of talent actually on the field (assuming they don't all get injured AGAIN). the raiders will rise again about ten years after al davis dies.

Dimitriid
August 28th, 2007, 02:52 PM
this will be the first season the patriots have a ton of talent actually on the field (assuming they don't all get injured AGAIN). the raiders will rise again about ten years after al davis dies.

Talent was not what was keeping the Raiders down, part of that "talent" you speak off is Raider's talent with Moss by the way so that is not it.

Now will we succeed before Al dies? Who knows. Right now he's done some very bold decisions that are looking good, and without him we would have killed our chances for development by conceding to Jamarcus Russell's agents idiotic contract demands. With other owner we would have signed him for 70 million 40 million guaranteed by now and capped ourself out of improving the team or keeping other good players in it for years to come.

But we still have 3 very talented QBs on the rooster and im sure will take the team out of another 2-14 season. Of course not playoff right away but a significant improvement.

Bannor
August 28th, 2007, 02:53 PM
just had my fantasy draft sunday 16 man leauge starting in two weeks every Sunday is a holiday.

Go Pats

fuscia
August 28th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Talent was not what was keeping the Raiders down, part of that "talent" you speak off is Raider's talent with Moss by the way so that is not it.

so, you would concede it is what one does with talent that's important?

i still have drafts coming up in three fantasy leagues (2 live and one autodraft). can't wait.

K.Mandla
August 28th, 2007, 03:22 PM
No.

ThinkBuntu
August 28th, 2007, 03:53 PM
You think Hockeys easy to understand?

Ok, so do you know the difference between cross-checking and slashing, do you understand the offside rule, do you know both sets of Icing rules (both NHL and IIHF) The difference between a check and charging?

I know a lot of hockey fans who dont know these, there a lot more, but I wont keep going on.

OK, two can play that game. Football and Baseball have equally obscure rules in place, such as (and don't just research this and then answer):

Football:

How far must an onside kick go to be considered legal?
Tuck rule anyone? :^)
When is a pass actually considered complete?
On a related note, when is a player down?
How do you know when there's an "illegal man downfield"?

Baseball:

What constitutes a balk?
How can a batter strike out and still get on base?
What's a save situation (when the pitcher is eligible for a save if his team wins)?
How about infield flies?

Also, I'll answer some of yours:
* You don't ask me about the IIHF, and I'll keep quiet about the CFL and Arena Football. We're talking NHL and NFL, I'm assuming
* I don't know detailed icing rules, but it's when the puck crosses two lines and gets touched by a defender in the defending team's back area of the ice (what's that formally called?)
* Offsides: crossing the blue line on offense before the puck gets there, although new NHL rules allow for "touching up" on the line
* Don't know the difference between the two pairs of penalties you mentioned, except that 99% of the time they're minors.

Dimitriid
August 28th, 2007, 05:07 PM
so, you would concede it is what one does with talent that's important?

It certainly is, thats what the most talented team isn't always the champion, also why the Chargers lost against your team.

forrestcupp
August 28th, 2007, 05:31 PM

The Raiders will raise again and put em in their place mark my words. My guess is people get some fascination of rooting for the winners all the time ( by looking at this thread I can see how the last superbowl winners are magically the most popular teams even when they stunk up the place like the Steelers last year )

Well they lost Moss (who cares?) and they gained Culpepper (who cares, again?).

Culpepper was a great quarterback, but I think he's seen his prime. Ever since he got injured with the Dolphins he hasn't been the same.

It will be interesting to see what Dominic Rhodes does for the Raiders. I personally think it was dumb for him to leave the Colts, but we're doing good with Joseph Adai. I think Adai is going to be better than Edgerrin James was.

wolfen69
August 28th, 2007, 05:40 PM
the worlds biggest Colts fan here! been a fan since 72. i expect them to win it all again. cant wait for sept. 6!!!!!

nexxogen
August 29th, 2007, 12:16 PM
The fact that is played mainly in the US (if not only there) should give you a hint. Real men play rugby. :guitar:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_leagues_of_American_football

And this should give YOU a hint about making ungrounded statements...

P.S. That list is far from complete.

nexxogen
August 29th, 2007, 12:17 PM

Typical for someone who knows nothing about american football. I also have grown in an "all soccer" environment where most people present just the same opinion as you did here. Now tell me friend, couldn't just any sport be described like you described american football? Let's try with soccer: A bunch of skinny guys chase a little ball all over the field hitting it with their legs or heads, they slide uder each other, push each other a bit, and ONCE OR TWICE per game they manage to put that ball in the net and then everyone cheers, jumps over each other an so on... So whats so intresting in that? The problem with most people is that they would rather proclaim the game as stupid and senseless instead of wondering if maybe they're the ones who are stupid for not understanding the game. My friend, you couldn't dream of how many skills and talent top american footballers poses. American football is an ultimante sport because it combines SPEED, POWER, TEAMWORK AND TACTICS. You gotta posess all of that in gridiron unlike in many other games where only particular skills and abilities are needed.

I've heard many complaints about the constant interruptions of the game. So let me ask you this: is american football the only sport with interruprions every 5 seconds?? What about VOLLEYBALL, TENNIS, BADMINTON OR PING PONG?? WHAT ABOUT CRICKET (I won't say baseball because then you will say that it's another "american crap")? Those games are extremely popular, especially volleyball. I don't remeber ever hearing complaints for non-stop breaks in those games. It's all about understanding what's happening on the field. Believe me, not so long ago I myself was one of those with arguments like yours and now I'm kind of ashamed. Today when I can say I completely understand american football I don't even notice the breaks.

American football is a great game and I truly believe that with an agressive marketing it could become one of the most popular games in the world.

forrestcupp
September 7th, 2007, 01:26 PM
How about those Colts?!

Maybe they will still be awesome even though about 25% of the team is new.

MMMMaaan I'm glad the season has started.

nowshining
September 7th, 2007, 01:33 PM
for ME NO, i am an American and I hate Football but if others like the sport than that is fine - I actually don't like sports that much, just computers, me and my computers, u know how many wish to flop down and roll over a huge pile of cash, well not me I wish to roll over on a pile of computers - oh! sweet wonderful computers..eh!

n3tfury
September 7th, 2007, 01:36 PM
grid iron? no. football? yes.

keethjones
September 1st, 2009, 05:41 AM
In American Football (http://www.americanfootballblog.com/) there's too many players on the pitch,the ball is the wrong shape and they spend too much time slamming each other wearing those shorts and big shoulder pads ! Football proper : is too complicated for them as they cant understand the scoring system ! Nor why the ball is round !

amitabhishek
September 1st, 2009, 06:51 AM
Compare with Rugby, NFL really rules! I can't think a year without Super Bowl!!!

Now I am really confused; are NFL, Super Bowl & American Football 3 different things?

+1.I tried watching it a couple of times but the ***** referee kept on interrupting the game!!

Icehuck
September 1st, 2009, 07:08 AM
Now I am really confused; are NFL, Super Bowl & American Football 3 different things?

NFL stands for National Football League and is made up of professional American Football players. The Super Bowl is the championship game for the NFL.

Lavaeagle
September 1st, 2009, 07:51 AM
The hell with you OP!
Seahawks!
Rocky Bernard! Defensive Linemen
Would make Gen. Stonewall Jackson cry.

NFLism ≅ Nationalism

TuckLive
September 1st, 2009, 10:36 AM
Forget about all this NFL talk. :) Let's hear it for College Football. :guitar:

Roll Tide

coolbrook
September 11th, 2009, 12:23 AM
:popcorn: ...READY!

Ric_NYC
September 11th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Foot(?)ball?

coldReactive
September 11th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Not one bit.

gn2
September 11th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I appreciate and enjoy the skills and tactics, but the format is dead slow and stop.
Sometimes I'll record the Superbowl and skip through the dull bits, it usually takes under 45 minutes to watch the whole thing.

kk0sse54
September 11th, 2009, 12:55 AM

No.

BslBryan
September 11th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Can't remember if I've posted here yet, but I'm leaning towards no. :)

Anyway, American football isn't my thing.

chucky chuckaluck
September 11th, 2009, 04:18 AM
along with mma, track (400 and shorter), weightlifting and gold, american football is one of my favorites.

yabbadabbadont
September 11th, 2009, 04:29 AM
I enjoyed playing it (as an amateur) for several (7) years. (and have a shoulder that aches in bad weather to remind me of it :)) I never have really enjoyed watching it though.

Exodist
September 11th, 2009, 04:34 AM
I hate watching sports period. I dont get into watching someone I dont know nor care a dang bit about run around playing a game.
That being said I enjoy playing foot ball with friends.

oldgeekster
September 11th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Let's put aside all arguments about how the Americans stole the name and that they don't use their feet much. Let's put aside the argument that American football is a cop-off of rugby (it's really evolved into something a lot different). If those are your only reasons for not liking American football, then you really haven't given it a chance, and that is prejudice.

Go Colts!Only for the last 50 years - before that it was baseball.

GO CHARGERS!

JDShu
September 11th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Yes.

I just watched the steelers vs titans game, first time I watched a full NFL game. I wasn't really rooting for either team though so not that exciting for me. However, I am absolutely floored by the unfairness of the OT rules. It is truly absurd. The commentators are also apparently too dumb to realize the unfairness.

Icehuck
September 11th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Yes.

I just watched the steelers vs titans game, first time I watched a full NFL game. I wasn't really rooting for either team though so not that exciting for me. However, I am absolutely floored by the unfairness of the OT rules. It is truly absurd. The commentators are also apparently too dumb to realize the unfairness.

Or we've seen overtime before and realize that the rules are fine.

MikeTheC
September 11th, 2009, 05:15 AM
I've never been able to find sports of any description interesting.

Therefore, no, I don't like American football.

JDShu
September 11th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Or we've seen overtime before and realize that the rules are fine.

I think you just need to think about it to realize why its unfair. Or do you mean it doesn't matter that the game is unfair? Which is a legitimate, if sad, argument.

yabbadabbadont
September 11th, 2009, 05:23 AM
I think you just need to think about it to realize why its unfair. Or do you mean it doesn't matter that the game is unfair? Which is a legitimate, if sad, argument.

Both teams are playing by the same rules, so as long as those rules are evenly enforced, the game is fair. College and High School football tend to not use the sudden-death rules for OT though.

Icehuck
September 11th, 2009, 05:25 AM

Sudden Death is not unfair. First team to score wins, and if no one scores at the end of overtime, it's a tie.

JDShu
September 11th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Both teams are playing by the same rules, so as long as those rules are evenly enforced, the game is fair. College and High School football tend to not use the sudden-death rules for OT though.

Hmmm, I guess its fair in the sense that before the coin flip, both teams are in equal standing. Fair enough. It just irritates me that pure luck plays such a huge role. I don't think a game should put so much weight on a coin flip.

JDShu
September 11th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Sudden Death is not unfair. First team to score wins, and if no one scores at the end of overtime, it's a tie.

You can't actually believe that the team that starts off does not have an advantage over the other?

Icehuck
September 11th, 2009, 05:30 AM
Hmmm, I guess its fair in the sense that before the coin flip, both teams are in equal standing. Fair enough. It just irritates me that pure luck plays such a huge role. I don't think a game should put so much weight on a coin flip.

Kick off happens at least half a dozen times during a football game. It does not always result in a score for the team. The Titans defense was collapsing during the 4th quarter and failed during OT.

JDShu
September 11th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Kick off happens at least half a dozen times during a football game. It does not always result in a score for the team. The Titans defense was collapsing during the 4th quarter and failed during OT.

So you are saying that it is not unfair, that one team can just win by scoring, while the other team has to first defend, and then score?

yabbadabbadont
September 11th, 2009, 05:38 AM
So you are saying that it is not unfair, that one team can just win by scoring, while the other team has to first defend, and then score?

Exactly. They had an even chance of getting to decide whether to kick or receive first in OT during the coin toss.

JDShu
September 11th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Exactly. They had an even chance of getting to decide whether to kick or receive first in OT during the coin toss.

Refer back to post #93

yabbadabbadont
September 11th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Refer back to post #93

Just because it annoys you, doesn't make it unfair... :D

Edit: So tell us. How much money did you lose on that game anyway? ;)

Icehuck
September 11th, 2009, 05:43 AM
You can't actually believe that the team that starts off does not have an advantage over the other?

If you watched football regularly you would know that teams don't always choose to receive when they win a coin toss. If this advantage was so huge, everyone would just receive.

JDShu
September 11th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Just because it annoys you, doesn't make it unfair... :D

Edit: So tell us. How much money did you lose on that game anyway? ;)

LOL I'm not a gambling man... no money hahaha. I even wanted Pittsburgh to win to some extent cause a friend attends school there. I just feel that the sudden death rules are an affront to the sport and human intelligence.

JDShu
September 11th, 2009, 05:47 AM
If you watched football regularly you would know that teams don't always choose to receive when they win a coin toss. If this advantage was so huge, everyone would just receive.

Perhaps they're not very intelligent either :P or more likely theres probably some sort of intangibles involved. But from a logical standpoint, theres no reason not to receive - and I have enough faith in the teams to believe that they probably do elect to receive the majority of the time.

yabbadabbadont
September 11th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Perhaps they're not very intelligent either :P or more likely theres probably some sort of intangibles involved. But from a logical standpoint, theres no reason not to receive - and I have enough faith in the teams to believe that they probably do elect to receive the majority of the time.

The team that kicks gets to choose which goal they will defend. If there is a strong steady wind, they will sometimes choose to kick so that they can have the wind at their backs in the second half.

JDShu
September 11th, 2009, 06:05 AM
So in order to make the choice more difficult, we need a strong steady wind.

*Sigh* well I searched online and found out that this is a much debated topic, and the side that doesn't like the rules got another supporter, for whatever good that does. I just hope I don't have to watch another OT game.

yabbadabbadont
September 11th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I didn't say that I liked sudden-death OT, I don't. I prefer the High School or College rules on OT. I'm just saying that it is fair as long as both sides are playing by the same rules and the rules are enforced evenly.

JDShu
September 11th, 2009, 06:17 AM
yepyep, fair until the coin throw ;)

ecmatter
September 11th, 2009, 06:48 AM
If the Steelers and Titans play at 1PM on CBS and the game goes into a college style overtime that lasts an hour, Fox loses millions of eyeballs for the first hour of the Giants-Redskins game.

I think most people would like to see the rules changed, but so long as the games are aired back-to-back on multiple networks, the overtime rules aren't going to change.

yabbadabbadont
September 11th, 2009, 06:53 AM
That is a very good point. Although, how do the netwoks handle it currently with college games?

bigbrovar
September 11th, 2009, 07:16 AM
The only time i ever liked American Rugby (that ish is closer to Rugby than football please) is in the movies .. i cant stand it in real life .. boring as hell IMHO

tacantara
September 11th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I'm glad that the football season has begun. Whether it's the local high school or my beloved Patriots, I enjoy watching the games. The wife and I love to take in as many games as possible on Sundays, and sometimes we'll make extreme nachos and other munchies, and just enjoy one game after another.

craigeo
September 11th, 2009, 07:09 PM
The only time i ever liked American Rugby (that ish is closer to Rugby than football please) is in the movies .. i cant stand it in real life .. boring as hell IMHO

It's boring to you because you didn't grow up with it. It (American Football cuz that's what it is) is very exciting to people that follow it as I'm sure your football and rugby are very exciting to you. Was there a purpose to you clicking on a link of a sport that bores you other than to bash it to people that do enjoy it?

YoungQuiz
September 12th, 2009, 03:46 AM
go giants!

Spencer Caplan
September 12th, 2009, 04:03 AM
E-A-G-L-E-S, eagles!!!

yabbadabbadont
September 12th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Chefs....

Great Googly Moogly!

mamamia88
September 12th, 2009, 04:42 AM