PDA

View Full Version : Are you an UbuNut?

damonw5
August 1st, 2005, 04:50 PM
After misspelling "ubuntu.com" as "ubunut.com", I started wondering...

How many of you are UbuNuts?

You know who you are: You apt-get upgrade your Breezy install every 12 hours to see what's new... You spend more time on UbuntuForums than in real life as you watch yhour post count soar into the sky... Everything in life seems to relate to Open Source in some way...

Or am I the only one going UbuNuts?

adwait
August 1st, 2005, 05:55 PM
Lol......that part with being on ubuntuforums all the time......I am in!!! Theres been a flood here (Mumbai, India) so I am stuck at home all day, atleast for 2 days....and I am in the forums for most part of the day!!

Freddy
August 1st, 2005, 06:14 PM
yep I'm going UbuNut, is there any treatment ?!? = )

bored2k
August 1st, 2005, 06:19 PM
It's warm here..

matthew
August 1st, 2005, 06:22 PM
Ouch. Guilty. I will have withdrawal for about a week or so as I am getting ready to move shortly and won't have internet access during the process.

adwait
August 1st, 2005, 06:28 PM
Aaaah......no net access.........stuff nightmares are made off!! :p

poofyhairguy
August 1st, 2005, 06:30 PM
Guily. I just spent all night forcing e17 to work within Gnome.

Totally worth it.

super
August 1st, 2005, 06:40 PM
UbuNut?
Nah! not yet anyways. i checked my profile and i'm only making aout 1 post every 2 days. ;)
i don't think i've attained UbuNut status yet with those humble numbers.

Guily. I just spent all night forcing e17 to work within Gnome.

Totally worth it.
really! i've been wanting to do that. could you post a deskshot so i can take a peek? :cool:

kvidell
August 1st, 2005, 06:53 PM
really! i've been wanting to do that. could you post a deskshot so i can take a peek?I'd like to see one as well....

And I think I'm a little ubunuts, I'm not sure.
I don't do the breezy thing quite so often anymore, but I used to...
I've been looking at the Gentoo wiki all morning for my next desktop... but my 1Us will definitely stay Breezy.

- Kev

Omnios
August 1st, 2005, 06:58 PM
Think on the verg, I missed most of the new Dr WHo because I was fiddling with Ubuntu.

ubuntu_demon
August 1st, 2005, 07:44 PM
I'm a bit of an UbuNut :-D

benplaut
August 1st, 2005, 08:05 PM
i'd say i probably am :roll:

sapo
August 1st, 2005, 09:27 PM
i m kind of a UbuNut... last week i found myself talking about ubuntu in a bar.. my friends (girls) that were with me started to look at me with a face like "What the hell is he talking about"

I realized that i had talked to much when everybody started to go to the bathroom at same time.. then i stopped :-#

Freddy
August 1st, 2005, 09:32 PM
LoL been there, done that = )
Perhaps I've found my cure though, I'm fiddiling with a new BSD system, it's a lot of fun : )

jdong
August 2nd, 2005, 01:18 AM
I'm fiddiling with a new BSD system, it's a lot of fun : )

It still burns.... GET IT OFF ME!! AHHH pkgdb -fu!!!

benplaut
August 2nd, 2005, 01:21 AM
It still burns.... GET IT OFF ME!! AHHH pkgdb -fu!!!

you didn't mention it, but it goes without saying.

you are also an ubunut ;-)

jdong
August 2nd, 2005, 02:06 AM
Yeah, I definitely am... :)

About my last post, I have nothing against FreeBSD. Just a joke. In fact, this site and the Backports server are both powered by FreeBSD.

FreeBSD is definitely not as ready for average-Joe desktop use, unlike Ubuntu. Heck there's still times where I, a seasoned Linux veteran who's tried BSD again and again for almost a year now, have trouble doing certain things in FreeBSD.

It's quite a learning experience, unlike Gentoo. When you use FreeBSD, you DO learn a lot about the underlying system, primarily because you're forced into reading the documentation, which (unlike Gentoo and most Linux documentation) try to explain exactly what's going on behind the scenes.

trash
August 2nd, 2005, 02:38 AM
I might be... I put up a notice in the local supermarket offering free installations of Ubuntu to people who are 'tired of MS Windows?'

Think on the verg, I missed most of the new Dr WHo because I was fiddling with Ubuntu.

Bittorrent :)

Wide
August 2nd, 2005, 03:16 AM
Expresso & Ubuntu keep me floating

I have it installed on all my desktops & looking to install it on my fridge \\:D/

sapo
August 2nd, 2005, 03:21 AM
Expresso & Ubuntu keep me floating

I have it installed on all my desktops & looking to install it on my fridge \\:D/

good idea maybe i can hack my microowave oven, install ubuntu there and make it play ogg files while working :-P

Freddy
August 2nd, 2005, 04:10 AM
No need to worry jdong, I'm not gonna break my Kubuntu install just yet. To much of a (K)ubuNut for that = )

But it's not really freeBSD I've started to play with it's a derivat (hmm is that a word in english?) called PCBSD and is aiming to make a desktop OS with the freeBSD kernel and it has a graphic installer and many other userfriendly tools. PCBSD is just a beta as of now, but it's look real nice even now.

/Freddan

matthew
August 2nd, 2005, 04:29 AM
derivat (hmm is that a word in english?)

derivative

I speak english, some spanish, french and arabic and so I completely understand. I'm constantly asking if something I just said is a real word or how I should say it properly.

Skel
August 2nd, 2005, 04:34 AM
I am becomign a ubuntuNUT and i not complaining [-X :)

Freddy
August 2nd, 2005, 04:38 AM
LoL thank's matthew, we can all need a little help sometimes : )

/Freddan

ubuntp
August 2nd, 2005, 05:03 AM
It's only a disease when they find a name for it... they found a name for it. :-\"
:-k :-D :-D

darkmatter
August 2nd, 2005, 05:39 AM
If doing stuff like this http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot1vd.jpg, http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot24te.jpg makes me an UbuNut, then hell yeh...Considering I spend more time hacking away at my box than anything else, I am definitely a nut. :grin:

Skel
August 2nd, 2005, 06:01 AM
Wow Darkmatter holy crap that looks amazing.... When u get that done can ya post a howto or something =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> thats great

zenrox
August 2nd, 2005, 06:26 AM
/me lays down on the pavmet as the good cop says so
casue i am guiltly as charged

darkmatter
August 2nd, 2005, 08:00 AM
Wow Darkmatter holy crap that looks amazing.... When u get that done can ya post a howto or something =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> thats great

Thanks. I think I will post a how to once I'm finished. Just trying to get e and nautilus to play nice.

bored2k
August 2nd, 2005, 08:02 AM
Thanks. I think I will post a how to once I'm finished. Just trying to get e and nautilus to play nice.
How's the performance using E and G panels ?

darkmatter
August 2nd, 2005, 08:58 AM
How's the performance using E and G panels ?

It's actually pretty darn good. As long as you hand control of the desktop over to e or nautilus, there's no real performance issue.

heimo
August 2nd, 2005, 08:58 AM
How many of you are UbuNuts? You know who you are

Hi everyone! My name is heimo, and I have a confession to make. I'm ubunut. I haven't always been, it started just five months ago. It's causing me some social problems, all my new friends are a little bit ubunuts themselves. We apt-get dist-upgrade together, talk about patches, run Breezy... all that stuff, you know. But I haven't told about this to my girlfriend, she's XP user and ... I kind of feel that we should have more things in common - like same code base, compiler flags and editor settings - but she's more like Word kind of person and I believe she's infected. I know I'm clean.

I know I was infected too, but I've been clean for about seven years now. At first, it was very hard to admit. I was on dual boot treatment for couple years, on and off. I was lucky enough to have some good friends who helped me if I couldn't compile kernel or configure firewall. I admired my friends, they were just so well in charge of their lifes. Every single day was hard for me.

Then one evening I just kind of slipped back to Windows, just to feel what it was like and I got infected in minutes. My self-esteem was about to collapse and I knew that if I didn't stop using on that exact moment, I'd be gone forever. So I finally took the step and got rid of that filthy stuff. It was year 1998. That's the best decision I've ever made in my life.

I kind of feel obligated to give back to those who have helped me. I realise that it hasn't been easy - this work never ends. The way I can contribute to the community, is to help others stay on the right track, keeping control of themselves and their systems, understanding the beauty of life and freedom to choose, humanity to others.

I feel relieved. It's good to be home. Thanks, mates.

nocturn
August 2nd, 2005, 08:59 AM
Yeah, I definitely am... :)

About my last post, I have nothing against FreeBSD. Just a joke. In fact, this site and the Backports server are both powered by FreeBSD.

FreeBSD is very good, I had it on my server for almost 2 years. The lack of binary updates is a pain though (like Gentoo).

Lord Illidan
August 2nd, 2005, 09:32 AM
Considering that I am tweaking my Kubuntu installation constantly, I think I am becoming a Kubuntu nut, too!!
Though I need to have some more posts, amazing some of the number of posts that people have on this forum.

sapo
August 2nd, 2005, 10:58 AM
Considering that I am tweaking my Kubuntu installation constantly, I think I am becoming a Kubuntu nut, too!!
Though I need to have some more posts, amazing some of the number of posts that people have on this forum.

Are you gonna join the Ubuntu Flood team too? :roll:

Dragonfly_X
August 2nd, 2005, 11:18 AM
Guilty! Although I was offline for about 2 months when I moved from Africa to Europe, I'm defiantly back to ubunut status now. :razz:

manicka
August 2nd, 2005, 12:19 PM
Yes, guilty as charged :D

Confession time:
My name is manicka and I'm addicted to Ubuntu

Dragonfly_X
August 2nd, 2005, 12:22 PM
Yes, guilty as charged :D

Confession time:
My name is manicka and I'm addicted to Ubuntu

UbuAddict! :grin:

kvidell
August 3rd, 2005, 02:55 AM
Oh my.. Isn't the new Dr. Who series good? I saw the whole thing. Just re-watched it with my Fiance actually.
Then I showed him a few McCoy stories :-D I need to get more Pertwee and Davison too... I like them.
- Kev

sapo
August 3rd, 2005, 05:35 AM
I think we could make a t-shirt "I m proud to be an UbuNut!" :D

ubuntu_demon
August 3rd, 2005, 12:50 PM
I think we could make a t-shirt "I m proud to be an UbuNut!" :D
cool idea :-D

ubuntu_demon
August 3rd, 2005, 12:54 PM
If doing stuff like this http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot1vd.jpg, http://img221.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot24te.jpg makes me an UbuNut, then hell yeh...Considering I spend more time hacking away at my box than anything else, I am definitely a nut. :grin:

that looks very good!

did you create that background ?

how did you make xchat transparant ? Do you use transset to set it each time transparant ? (that's a pain)

darkmatter
August 3rd, 2005, 01:03 PM
that looks very good!

did you create that background ?

how did you make xchat transparant ?

No, I never created that background. It's from http://www.deviantart.com/view/14612423/, I just converted it to an .edj file.
As for the xchat transparency, I just set it to use it's fake transparency with my GNOME background (the same one I used for the .edj), which creates a very convincing illusion of transparency. ;-)

I *LOVE* E. :grin:

ubuntu_demon
August 3rd, 2005, 02:09 PM
No, I never created that background. It's from http://www.deviantart.com/view/14612423/, I just converted it to an .edj file.
As for the xchat transparency, I just set it to use it's fake transparency with my GNOME background (the same one I used for the .edj), which creates a very convincing illusion of transparency. ;-)

I *LOVE* E. :grin:
thnx!
maybe I'll look into E someday

stoodleysnow
January 18th, 2008, 12:28 AM
I am an Ubunut. And I LOVE IT!!!!
:lolflag::lolflag::mrgreen::razz::lol::biggrin::-({|=