PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Linux Laptop

kadath
August 27th, 2007, 06:43 AM
My current laptop is getting a bit old, and furthermore, isn't very Linux-compatible (lots of stuff requires extra work). So I'm looking around for an inexpensive laptop.

I dual-boot Xubuntu and Windows XP on my current laptop. I have a pretty limited budget, and don't mind using older hardware. The heaviest work I do on my current laptop is Photoshop 7 work, some light gaming (mostly emulators and older PC games), and x264 video encoding (no HD though, so that's not an issue).

My current specs are:

2.8 GHz P4
768 MB RAM
64 MB ATI Radeon 7500
30 GB HD

All I need is something newer than that, and something that will pretty much work out of the box with Xubuntu. Preferably something $600 or under.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dark Star
August 27th, 2007, 06:47 AM
I would not recommend P4 on laptop they are more battery hugry then other processor :) Get Intel Core Duo
1 Gb Ram
Graphics Card any
atleast 60 Gb hdd :D that should suits you PS needs better and won't hang much :D

spekterx
August 27th, 2007, 06:49 AM
My current laptop is getting a bit old, and furthermore, isn't very Linux-compatible (lots of stuff requires extra work). So I'm looking around for an inexpensive laptop.

I dual-boot Xubuntu and Windows XP on my current laptop. I have a pretty limited budget, and don't mind using older hardware. The heaviest work I do on my current laptop is Photoshop 7 work, some light gaming (mostly emulators and older PC games), and x264 video encoding (no HD though, so that's not an issue).

My current specs are:

2.8 GHz P4
768 MB RAM
64 MB ATI Radeon 7500
30 GB HD

All I need is something newer than that, and something that will pretty much work out of the box with Xubuntu. Preferably something $600 or under.

Thanks for any suggestions.

oh, hey /g/!

Dark Star
August 27th, 2007, 06:52 AM
oh, hey /g/!
What was that ?:? Plz be on topic do not divert the topic :x

kadath
August 27th, 2007, 06:58 AM
oh, hey /g/!

SUP D00D! ):P

Warpnow
August 27th, 2007, 09:44 AM
The Asus EEE will start at $200 and runs Xandros. Not sure exactly when it comes out, though.

kadath
August 27th, 2007, 06:02 PM
The Asus EEE will start at $200 and runs Xandros. Not sure exactly when it comes out, though.

Yeah I've been reading about that, but its RAM is soldered in, so it's impossible to ever upgrade. Also, a 7" screen would be unbearable to use, especially since I use my laptop to watch movies, since I don't even own a TV.

TheCoffeePerson
August 27th, 2007, 07:15 PM
You should aim for a basic model from Acer or Dell. Inspiron 1501s from Dell start at 499 for a pretty decent machine, and bizrate.com shows Acer laptops starting in the mid-400s range.

cookieofdoom
August 27th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Just as a note, the Dell models come with an ATI graphics card (Xpress1150). ATI cards can, as you may already be aware, be a real pain to set up. I believe my friend has the same model. He couldn't get Beryl working on it, but Compiz Fusion seems to be working. If you do modeling in Blender, I've seen ATI cards do some really strange things. If you can get something with Intel or Nvidia you'll probably be better off.

amazingtaters
August 27th, 2007, 09:53 PM
oh, hey /g/!

gb2/b/ ploz.

OP: Look at newegg. Get something with a Turion. Nuff said.