PDA

View Full Version : Help me transfer a Wordpress installation!

Zdravko
August 26th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Hi!
I installed WordPress on a host server and had it running for a few days. Now I change the host (and the domain name also!). I made a complete backup from the old server. What should I do now to restore the previous WordPress installation on the new server, so that it opens with the new domain name? It is URGENT!

smartbei
August 26th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Check the wordpress.net site to see if they have anything. If you can't find anything, I think this should work:

First, backup all the files, which I see you have done.
Then backup the complete database.
Transfer the files to their new home, and restore the database.
Change the settings in "wp-config.php" to what they should be.

That should work. The usual warnings apply. You might also need to change some settings through the blog's control center like blog address, etc.

Another way to do it would be to just do a wordpress install (even a new version would work), restore the database over it and then run the database update script (see updating wordpress on the wordpress.net site). Though wordpress might keep settings in the database, so I am not sure how much of a great idea that is.

Zdravko
August 26th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Phew! I hope that I will manage all of these points! Wish me luck!

Zdravko
August 26th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Nope. I get:

The page isn't redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

* This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept
cookies.
It seems that something is wrong....