PDA

View Full Version : Have anyone here tried CNR for all?

wersdaluv
August 26th, 2007, 10:44 AM
I went to cnr.com and noticed that it is already operating. To be sure, I went to the about section (http://www.cnr.com/supportPages/about.seam?conversationId=16523). I saw Ubuntu Fiesty in the list of distros.

It says there that I need to have the cnr plugin. I googled for "ubuntu cnr plugin," but I did not find what I need. It's funny why cnr offers the feature for Ubuntu users, but the site does not even give users a good clue where to get the plugin (or I was too visually challenged). Anyone here found the url where we can get the cnr plugin?

To those who have tried this, how is it?

marsmissionaries
August 26th, 2007, 11:01 AM
I do not beleive the plugin actually exists yet. Unless you use linspire.

smoker
August 26th, 2007, 11:45 AM
I do not beleive the plugin actually exists yet. Unless you use linspire.

seems they are already picking up bad habits from their new partner, and releasing stuff before it is ready!

i had a look at the cnr site, and if you want the full caboddle (cnr gold), they want nearly $50 per year!

personally i will stick to synaptic.

DoctorMO
August 26th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I don't understand CNR, it seems to be a completely wrong model for how to sell software to people; the _last_ thing you need is a subscription model and the first thing you need is bloody good integration and management.

For Ubuntu this would mean dumping CNR and coming up with something based on apt, but something you pay for; at least it would force proprietory software makers to package their software according to the apt rules.

Andrewie
August 26th, 2007, 06:37 PM
I thought CNR is really cool, but it lost its "coolness". Opensuse already has this feature in the new beta of Opensuse 10.3. I can log onto their web site, search for a package and it will automaticly install it for me, just by clicking a link on the web site. The GNU club should be here soon to warn of you of the "dangers" of CNR. Has anyone tried this, I'm interested in how it works its got good reviews

jrusso2
August 26th, 2007, 07:32 PM
AFAIK the CNR is not in operation for Ubuntu, its still being beta tested for Freespire and it appears to have a number of issues that need to be fixed.

DoctorMO
August 26th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I thought CNR is really cool, but it lost its "coolness". Opensuse already has this feature in the new beta of Opensuse 10.3. I can log onto their web site, search for a package and it will automaticly install it for me, just by clicking a link on the web site. The GNU club should be here soon to warn of you of the "dangers" of CNR. Has anyone tried this, I'm interested in how it works its got good reviews

How about jut the dangers of running code from a website based on a model of escalation of privileges and constantly trusted sources. because it worked so well for ActiveX security.

myke
August 29th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Personally ... I'm not opposed to using CNR.com as an alternate source for packages especially for ones that I might like to try that aren't included in the Ubuntu repositories. My only problem would be if it caused problems using synaptic at the same time. I don't want constant repository or dependency problems with conflicting package management. So when it comes out for Ubuntu, I MIGHT try it with a small package to see if it doesn't f' up everything and then see how it goes from there.

Everyone oughta not pre-judge the service as it's not like you're forced to use it. But for others ... it might come in handy. And isn't the main thing ... having choice?

Andrewie
August 29th, 2007, 03:14 AM
How about jut the dangers of running code from a website based on a model of escalation of privileges and constantly trusted sources. because it worked so well for ActiveX security.

:confused: I think your a little confused, That isn't how Suse's 1-click install works. When you click on the install software button what it does is it downloads a small XML file. This file contains the name of the package to install and what repositories from the build source you need. NO SOFTWARE IS INSTALLED OFF THE WEB SITE. Ubuntu has the same thing coming out in October, I thought you saw the thread where they explained what it did, and how it was in no way like ActiveX. I bold-ed and Underlined all the important stuff.

gecka
August 31st, 2007, 12:20 PM
Well cnr is as secure as any software is... Anyway, anyone can check its secutrity as the plugin will be open source.

Any way it uses apt and deb packages so it is not less secure as any third party apt repository you may use.

On the other side you have access to most softwares at no fee.

You have the choice to not get a cnr gold subscription and still can use the service without it.

Also, it worth considering the real target of CNR. CNR is for people that just want to use there computer without wasting time surfing the web everywhere, following complicated how to's etc... to do a simple task. In short CNR is for most computer users. But maybe not you... (and certainly not me)

- centralise software repositoy
- precompiled software
- one click install/uninstall

We need to bring Linux to those users and not bring them to Linux as we need them to grow the community witch is a need for harware&software MAJORS not being able to ignore Linux anymore.

ssam
August 31st, 2007, 12:30 PM
the apt/synaptic/gnome-app-installl does not have a solution for paying for software. there are several pieces of software for linux that people do pay for.

CNR may offer a solution for this that works on all major desktop distros.

this would allow someone like vmware to stop worrying about packaging and selling stuff to linux users. they just need to talk to the CNR people, who will deal with that side. for a company like adobe, who must occasionally wonder about distributing there comercial apps on linux, this might help them.

it could also help the fluendo ( https://shop.fluendo.com/ ) pay for codecs.

of course a lot of linux users dont want to pay for software (why pay for photoshop when the gimp is free). but some are happy to pay.

beefcurry
August 31st, 2007, 01:17 PM
the apt/synaptic/gnome-app-installl does not have a solution for paying for software. there are several pieces of software for linux that people do pay for.

CNR may offer a solution for this that works on all major desktop distros.

this would allow someone like vmware to stop worrying about packaging and selling stuff to linux users. they just need to talk to the CNR people, who will deal with that side. for a company like adobe, who must occasionally wonder about distributing there comercial apps on linux, this might help them.

it could also help the fluendo ( https://shop.fluendo.com/ ) pay for codecs.

of course a lot of linux users dont want to pay for software (why pay for photoshop when the gimp is free). but some are happy to pay.

well said. Just because you use linux not all software you use HAS to be FOSS. Its nice to bring in competition from other development models.

nonewmsgs
August 31st, 2007, 01:49 PM
what is wrong with the add/remove? i really have never used CNR (other than communication network riser), but i showed a guy ubuntu and the add/remove and he loved it.

Andrewie
August 31st, 2007, 10:00 PM
what is wrong with the add/remove? i really have never used CNR (other than communication network riser), but i showed a guy ubuntu and the add/remove and he loved it.

whats wrong with CNR, I showed a friend CNR, and they loved it. Works both ways my friend.

w3stfa11
September 10th, 2007, 07:19 PM
The site is in alpha, but the expected release date is sometime this month. Hopefully, it'll at least be well-tested and ready for Gutsy. I think this is a great free service, which OpenSUSE also recognizes by making their own.

http://wiki.freespire.org/index.php/Freespire_2.0_Schedule
http://news.opensuse.org/?p=133

bruce89
September 10th, 2007, 07:23 PM
AFAIK the CNR is not in operation for Ubuntu, its still being beta tested for Freespire and it appears to have a number of issues that need to be fixed.

Thank god, otherwise it'd **** off old-timers like myself.

happy-and-lost
September 10th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I genuinely can't see any advantage over apt.

None whatsoever.

Tazix
September 16th, 2007, 08:00 PM
I genuinely can't see any advantage over apt.

None whatsoever.

Well... since I've never actually used CNR, I can only guess.

In Synaptic, it still takes a lot of clicks to add software... have to add repositories, have to click mark and apply a few times as you fart around with search, etc. Not a big deal to you or me.

CNR seems to be... easily locate package on website, then 1 click install (no repositories to add). The learning curve for an average n00b (or computer illiterate) user is practically nill. It's just another "ease enhancement" that will help us convince "average" (aka dumb@sses when it comes to computers) users to switch from Winblows.

I'm not saying CNR is the "be all end all" solution... heck maybe Suse's 1-click thing is better. I don't know. But it is a step in the right direction, IMO.

As Desktop Linux Distros get closer to "everything works out of the box" and "It's as easy as a Mac"... more people will switch... especially as more of the MS draconian crap angers people that value their privacy.

S3Indiana
September 30th, 2007, 07:53 AM
I went to cnr.com and noticed that it is already operating. To be sure, I went to the about section (http://www.cnr.com/supportPages/about.seam?conversationId=16523). I saw Ubuntu Fiesty in the list of distros.

It says there that I need to have the cnr plugin. I googled for "ubuntu cnr plugin," but I did not find what I need. It's funny why cnr offers the feature for Ubuntu users, but the site does not even give users a good clue where to get the plugin (or I was too visually challenged). Anyone here found the url where we can get the cnr plugin?

To those who have tried this, how is it?

I don't understand CNR, it seems to be a completely wrong model for how to sell software to people; the _last_ thing you need is a subscription model and the first thing you need is bloody good integration and management.

For Ubuntu this would mean dumping CNR and coming up with something based on apt, but something you pay for; at least it would force proprietory software makers to package their software according to the apt rules.The ubuntu CNR Client (Download CNR Client (http://www.cnr.com/supportPages/communityDownloadPlugin.seam)) is available at CNR.com (http://www.cnr.com), and CNR uses a Debian-based apt engine, with ubuntu mirrored repositories and additional open source and commercial packages not available from the native ubuntu repositories. CNR provides a front-end that is intuitive to most any user, along with some interesting features currently in development. Access to download & install is available with no barriers: contribute by revising content (requiring Signing In - no unregistered content), and Yes for those that may desire commercial software programs a service is available providing discounts on those applications (the same programs may be purchased w/o the service at the vendors price). CNR has ran alongside Synaptic (and Adept) with no issues (CNR would need to be closed then reopened to detect the change in system configuration - addition or removal of packages). Imagine if CNR did not work as designed, and failed to install a requested package (using apt, hard to break a system that way :). But this is a beta package (not recommended for production machines)...

LuisAugusto
October 3rd, 2007, 06:47 AM
I'm not saying CNR is the "be all end all" solution... heck maybe Suse's 1-click thing is better. I don't know. But it is a step in the right direction, IMO.

Maybe? It's a lot better, however, CNR look is more appealing.

And I agree with you, that's the right direction. What I don't like about them, is the need of browsing a Web Page, why don't just integrate them into a new front-end?

Imagine BuildService (the same search engine) but on a nice GUI (maybe with screenshots too) application. The YaST/Synaptic/YUM/SMART/ETC package management would just be for "advanced users", the "average user" will be just happy finding his application without even think about it.

eentonig
October 3rd, 2007, 07:00 AM

Also, it worth considering the real target of CNR. CNR is for people that just want to use there computer without wasting time surfing the web everywhere, following complicated how to's etc... to do a simple task. In short CNR is for most computer users. But maybe not you... (and certainly not me)

- centralise software repositoy
- precompiled software
- one click install/uninstall

That's a fairly good description of Synaptic from my point of view. Software that needs complicated howto's, will need them through CNR as well, as CNR will be just another frontend to apt-get.

LuisAugusto
October 3rd, 2007, 07:09 AM
That's a fairly good description of Synaptic from my point of view. Software that needs complicated howto's, will need them through CNR as well, as CNR will be just another frontend to apt-get.

That's exactly why BuildService rulez.

The .ymp (or the one click install file) are just little ¿scripts? that add the repositories (repositories dependencies too) and send a command for install the selected package.

That way you can still update your package the same way you always do, increase the application available in Synaptic/YaST/SMART/YUM/ETC and delete them the same way you always do.

(And BuildService allow to create packages and repositories easy, and for a lot of distros, not just OpenSUSE, and in the future, will even aloud itself to update the repositories automatically when a new tarball is released.)

GSF1200S
October 3rd, 2007, 11:53 AM
I can just see the Absolute Beginners Forums buzzing with all type of CNR related errors, and a large portion of us, jaws dropped in horror, standing there completely unable to help them because weve never had the problems.

thats what scares me...

S3Indiana
October 3rd, 2007, 03:35 PM
I can just see the Absolute Beginners Forums buzzing with all type of CNR related errors, and a large portion of us, jaws dropped in horror, standing there completely unable to help them because weve never had the problems.

thats what scares me...CNR uses a mirror of the native repository, so how would there be any more issues than currently exist (most likely issue is a package that didn't install)???

reyfer
October 3rd, 2007, 03:55 PM
CNR uses a mirror of the native repository, so how would there be any more issues than currently exist (most likely issue is a package that didn't install)???

So if it is a mirror of the native repository, why use it over synaptic? I'd rather use getdeb than CNR, and that's my personal stand.

Dixon Bainbridge
October 3rd, 2007, 04:13 PM
Must admit, I'm struggling to see the point of CNR.

adamklempner
October 4th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Must admit, I'm struggling to see the point of CNR.

Have you looked at cnr.com recently? In comparison to synaptic, cnr will have in one centralized location:

- screenshots
- user reviews
- commercial software support
- tip jar to easily support your favorite open source projects
- multiple distro support (looks like not all are active yet)
- aisles (this is a REALLY good idea)
- etc.

I don't particularly care for Linspire anymore, but considering the website is still in alpha testing, it is looking quite polished. (I like how the screenshot thing works).

One thing to remember is that CNR is aimed at beginners and probably won't appeal to a lot of people well versed in Linux. CNR has a very "download.com" sort of feel to it, and as such will probably feel more comfortable to recent windows converts.

But geez, how long has it been delayed now?? :roll: Pretty close to a day late and a buck short...

jrusso2
October 4th, 2007, 05:15 AM
CNR uses a mirror of the native repository, so how would there be any more issues than currently exist (most likely issue is a package that didn't install)???

While the repository is a mirror, the commercial software is not. If they buy commercial software with CNR then it would come from a linspire repository.

That seems to be the point people are missing, that you can buy commercial software with it and you cannot with synaptic.

DeadSuperHero
October 4th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Downloaded the client. Installed it. Then tried to run it. It had permission errors, so I opened up the terminal, typed "sudo cnr" and it worked.
Gotta love Sudo, but this immediately defeats the purpose of using the client.

Dixon Bainbridge
October 4th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Have you looked at cnr.com recently? In comparison to synaptic, cnr will have in one centralized location:

- screenshots
- user reviews
- commercial software support
- tip jar to easily support your favorite open source projects
- multiple distro support (looks like not all are active yet)
- aisles (this is a REALLY good idea)
- etc.

I don't particularly care for Linspire anymore, but considering the website is still in alpha testing, it is looking quite polished. (I like how the screenshot thing works).

One thing to remember is that CNR is aimed at beginners and probably won't appeal to a lot of people well versed in Linux. CNR has a very "download.com" sort of feel to it, and as such will probably feel more comfortable to recent windows converts.

But geez, how long has it been delayed now?? :roll: Pretty close to a day late and a buck short...

I see. It looks like Xandros's download manager app. Is that CNR too then? Anyway, it does look great for beginners.

S3Indiana
October 5th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Must admit, I'm struggling to see the point of CNR.Think of CNR (http://www.cnr.com) as one-stop for Linux software. It has the same packages as the native repository (with an intuitive interface), plus some packages not found in the native repositories (both open source and commercial). Another thing that CNR will provide is the capability to build Community around a product, so that developers and end-users can communicate (if either party desire :). With the inclusion of multiple distributions might convince some software vendors to port to Linux (that otherwise would be hesitant)...

S3Indiana
October 5th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Downloaded the client. Installed it. Then tried to run it. It had permission errors, so I opened up the terminal, typed "sudo cnr" and it worked.
Gotta love Sudo, but this immediately defeats the purpose of using the client.There are some important steps:
Update the sources to include Additional Sources (http://www.cnr.com/supportPages/communityDownloadPluginInstructions.seam#Ubuntu)
Log out and back in after CNR is installed (to properly set the permissions - no reboot required)
Associate package.cnr download with CNR (option provided after Install Now is selected)

awakatanka
October 5th, 2007, 11:09 AM
If i look at the cnr site i dislike that i can't see what version of the app i going to install. I want to see version number, i don't want old packages on my pc.

But i like the screenshots and rating system

S3Indiana
October 5th, 2007, 07:18 PM
If i look at the cnr site i dislike that i can't see what version of the app i going to install. I want to see version number, i don't want old packages on my pc.

But i like the screenshots and rating systemPackage versions are located under Specifications (http://www.cnr.com/product/productSpecifications.seam?productId=18111) (linked from Supported Versions - Read Specifications (http://www.cnr.com/product/productSpecifications.seam?productId=18111))...

UbuWu
October 6th, 2007, 03:38 PM
The next ubuntu version will support apt: links that will allow you to link to any program in the Ubuntu repositories. That anyone can make such a site. If you are running Gutsy, you can try it by clicking this link: Install Pychess now! (apt:pychess)

whistlerspa
October 12th, 2007, 11:27 PM
I've downloaded and installed the client and tried installing.

It brings up the web page and if I select a package to install it downloads a *.cnr file.

It then goes through the motions of running the file and then ... nothing.

What am I missing here?

RAV TUX
October 13th, 2007, 12:00 AM
The next ubuntu version will support apt: links that will allow you to link to any program in the Ubuntu repositories. That anyone can make such a site. If you are running Gutsy, you can try it by clicking this link: Install Pychess now! (apt:pychess)...

I may try this when I am done my dist-upgrade

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=46333&d=1192382949

thegnome87
October 14th, 2007, 06:11 AM
I have CNR installed right now and it works very well so far!

However, for some reason I prefer the old version of CNR seen in the *spire distros because it was an actual program you open and surfed from within its built in browser. It was like synaptic except with screenshots and reviews.

This one has too much of a go online and hunt for software approach (a la open a browser and go to download.com back when I used Windows). It's still easy because you click a link, and bam it installs.

Question: How does the security issue work? I mean, it didn't ask me for my root password when I clicked to install something.

My thoughts on CNR: if it had come on the scene sooner in the form it is now, there's no doubt that it would be the a top way end users would be installing software on Linux. Right now I'm not sure where exactly CNR stands with all these distros having become so much easier to use than they were in the past.

Maybe Linspire as a whole can dedicate itself to being a codec/software distribution company and bridge many of those gaps it wants to bridge?

I am definitely going to keep my eye on CNR for a while.

whistlerspa
October 14th, 2007, 09:01 AM
well as i said it certainly doesn't work at all on my desktop - so what am I missing - why not (and from my trawling at CNR's forums i am far from alone in this problem]:confused:

S3Indiana
October 15th, 2007, 12:42 AM
I have CNR installed right now and it works very well so far!

However, for some reason I prefer the old version of CNR seen in the *spire distros because it was an actual program you open and surfed from within its built in browser. It was like synaptic except with screenshots and reviews.

This one has too much of a go online and hunt for software approach (a la open a browser and go to download.com back when I used Windows). It's still easy because you click a link, and bam it installs.To make the client multi-disto capable (supporting multiple desktop environments) the client needed to be a tool that executes requests from the web browser.

Question: How does the security issue work? I mean, it didn't ask me for my root password when I clicked to install something.For the admin/sudo account permissions are elevated providing access to CNR (this is not true for non-privileged user accounts)...

Ireclan
October 15th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Personally, I'll stay with traditional software installation methods. I trust Synaptic and DEBs a lot more than CNR packages. I'm one of those people that would like ONE method of easy software installation, not two. Plus, I dislike Linspire, and what CNR offers me I can already get for free (correct me if I'm wrong).

Andrewie
October 15th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Personally, I'll stay with traditional software installation methods. I trust Synaptic and DEBs a lot more than CNR packages. I'm one of those people that would like ONE method of easy software installation, not two. Plus, I dislike Linspire, and what CNR offers me I can already get for free (correct me if I'm wrong).

ya your wrong, CNR is free

Ireclan
October 15th, 2007, 02:01 AM
I never said otherwise...I was talking PACKAGES...

S3Indiana
October 16th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Personally, I'll stay with traditional software installation methods. I trust Synaptic and DEBs a lot more than CNR packages. I'm one of those people that would like ONE method of easy software installation, not two. Plus, I dislike Linspire, and what CNR offers me I can already get for free (correct me if I'm wrong).CNR.com (http://www.cnr.com) repositories use standard Debian (.deb) packages; the only difference is during the download process, to open the correct application, a distinct extension was used to invoke the proper mime type for the CNR client to function. CNR.com (http://www.cnr.com) also provides access to Commercial products for multiple distributions not available at any one-stop location (for those that don't want to have search the Internet for applications)...

S3Indiana
October 16th, 2007, 12:04 AM
well as i said it certainly doesn't work at all on my desktop - so what am I missing - why not (and from my trawling at CNR's forums i am far from alone in this problem]:confused:Error in the code. Code has been modified and checked-in, but a new build must be done and pushed to the repositories, so in the interim try the following:
sudo rm /var/lib/cnr/client/packages

thegnome87
October 18th, 2007, 12:56 AM
I guess the web browser interface does make more sense in terms of interoperability. It does look good so far.

I previously had PowerDVD for Linspire/Freespire but couldn't re-download it since either it's not in the CNR repo anymore or it's not compatible with Ubuntu.

How will the DVD/codecs thing work with CNR.com with users of non-spire distros? Will there be some sort of legal codecs bundle available?

Good luck to the CNR.com team!

S3Indiana
October 20th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I previously had PowerDVD for Linspire/Freespire but couldn't re-download it since either it's not in the CNR repo anymore or it's not compatible with Ubuntu.

How will the DVD/codecs thing work with CNR.com with users of non-spire distros? Will there be some sort of legal codecs bundle available?DVD Player issue is being resolved, and the goal's to have the same access no matter what supported distribution is installed...