PDA

View Full Version : Worldwide WGA outage causes mass havok

phrostbyte
August 25th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Seem Microsoft's WGA for Vista and XP is falsely labeling millions of Windows computers as counterfeit. No, this isn't a joke.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070825-windows-genuine-advantage-suffers-worldwide-outage-problems-galore.html

PatrickMay16
August 25th, 2007, 10:32 PM
This seems to be a genuine disadvantage. Heh heh heh heh...

vexorian
August 25th, 2007, 10:36 PM
I was wondering if this affects my XP install, I figured out that I blocked the virtual machine's access to internet anyways...

phrostbyte
August 25th, 2007, 10:48 PM
I wonder if this effected any critical governmental networks (in USA). It couldn't be that difficult to then prove that WGA is indeed, a threat to national security.

Hex_Mandos
August 25th, 2007, 11:31 PM
This is the reason I never even touched my laptop's preinstalled Vista. I'm glad I didn't trust MS.

SOULRiDER
August 25th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Hunderds of dollars just to get pwn3d by an offline server!

Darth Trix
August 26th, 2007, 12:40 AM
In moments like this i would like to remember the immortal words of Nelson Muntz:

Ha Ha!

RageOfOrder
August 26th, 2007, 12:44 AM
This is the reason I never even touched my laptop's preinstalled Vista. I'm glad I didn't trust MS.

My laptop has pre-installed Vista. I cleaned it out and added some proper apps to it, then installed Slackware the moment I got home. :)

I'll keep it around in case I need it for reference. I do a lot of PC tech support for people...

ynnhoj
August 26th, 2007, 12:45 AM
I'm glad I didn't trust MS.
oh dear.. :roll: do you think it was intentional?

Hex_Mandos
August 26th, 2007, 12:56 AM
OF course it wasn't intentional. Still, they said this wouldn't happen (lterally, I got this from a MS support person). It did happen, and I don't care if it's due to malice or sheer idiocy. They lied. I know I can trust Ubuntu not to cripple my computer whenever it feels like doing so.

phrostbyte
August 26th, 2007, 02:58 AM
It seems they are now validating EVERYONE as genuine as a temporary fix to the problem.

vexorian
August 26th, 2007, 03:06 AM
oh dear.. :roll: do you think it was intentional?
This is all about MS adding a bottleneck just for their own interests and not the users, WGA is a totally unnecessary feature that has just demonstrated how bad it is for the users. Just a weak link in the chain and your computer is doomed by the vigilante attitude of MS software that will think you are a pirate and must be eliminated, this time it was a problem with the servers, what could go wrong next?

Tux Aubrey
August 27th, 2007, 10:07 AM
I know I can trust Ubuntu not to cripple my computer whenever it feels like doing so.

Hmmm. I know its not the same thing, but I've experienced two updates on Ubuntu that did just that. We are almost at the first anniversary of one of the top five Linux Debacles of the Decade - a really buggy update that sent thousands to the Black Screen of Death and lost Ubuntu a lot of cred. Lest We Forget.

(BTW, I nominate OpenSuse 10.1 for the top award in this category, just edging out the PCLinuxOS cron job on Distrowatch - but the latter should certainly be recognised for the lamest piece of viral marketing to bring both the perpetrator and the victim into disrepute.)

Anyway, I think its great to see all the worst prophesies about WGA coming true. Ah, sweet schadenfreude.

Lucifiel
August 27th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Hmmm. I know its not the same thing, but I've experienced two updates on Ubuntu that did just that. We are almost at the first anniversary of one of the top five Linux Debacles of the Decade - a really buggy update that sent thousands to the Black Screen of Death and lost Ubuntu a lot of cred. Lest We Forget.

(BTW, I nominate OpenSuse 10.1 for the top award in this category, just edging out the PCLinuxOS cron job on Distrowatch - but the latter should certainly be recognised for the lamest piece of viral marketing to bring both the perpetrator and the victim into disrepute.)

Anyway, I think its great to see all the worst prophesies about WGA coming true. Ah, sweet schadenfreude.

Ouch... what was this buggy Ubuntu update?

kanem
August 27th, 2007, 01:08 PM
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the following. A person starting a thread (http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2056080&SiteID=25) over in some MS forums to thank MS for fixing the problem so quickly. Totally oblivious to the fact that the whole thing could have been avoided by not putting a defective-by-design component in the OS in the first place. A component that none of us want or need, and actually makes the user experience worse even when it is working properly.

Someone pointed this out and their post got deleted.

Seisen
August 27th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Whoever's post that got deleted he just resubmitted it back on there. Also I like this post here.

Thank you for resolving this issue quickly. But I'm a little upset, I'm hoping that in the future WGA issues can take down some of my servers instead of just my workstations. It's not fair just to target workstations, so, in the future, please take down my Exchange, SQL and Windows 2003 servers when falsely calling me a pirate.

I'm also hoping you can figure out some way to deliberately delete all my files while you're at it.

Thanks.

Everybody's has to like this sig that somebody has on there too

Windows Genuine Advantage disadvantaged my genuine Windows. Posted from genuine Ubuntu.