PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (there may be spoilers)

TravisNewman
August 1st, 2005, 05:41 AM
Who's read it?

I got done yesterday. Fantabulous book, the best in the series, easily. It is DEFINITELY not a kids book anymore. As we know from book 5, Voldemort is back and people are dying left and right. Harry is badass. I won't continue until I know someone else has read it, but if you haven't, GET IT NOW!!!

please use white text for any spoilers!

Lord Illidan
August 1st, 2005, 05:49 AM
I read it, but imho it is not the best in the series. The best is the Goblet of Fire..

EDIT: spoilers below. Highlight between the stars
************************SPOILERS****************** ********

Dumbledores' death was stupid, too fast....
JK Rowling has turned Harry and Ron into 2 pots of hormones
The story of the horcruxes is slightly off the crocker!!

benplaut
August 1st, 2005, 05:58 AM
EDIT: spoilers, highlight everything between the stars.

******SPOILERS********
OK, that's enough warning :roll:

i think the death had to happen, but i really don't think snape should have turned out to be a bad guy. i mean, everything can't just go according to harry's plans, and i think it would have fit for snape to still be a good guy, regardless of how he treats [3/4 of?] the students.

all of the mentors dying, no-matter how much it doesn't make sense to be killing off main characters, is necessary. harry is just plain going to have to be independent.

the next book, if Rowling isn't very careful, could suck due to how much still needs to be done before the story can end.

@Lord Illidan: i didn't like the horcruxes thing either, but it explains why that guy just plain won't die... :roll:

TravisNewman
August 1st, 2005, 06:04 AM
Spoilers. Highlight everything between the stars. I used white text on a white background, so it'll show up when you highlight it.

I read an interpretation on Dumbledore's death that I agree with. RAB (who wrote the note in the fake horcrux) said that he'd be dead before Voldemort read the note, presumably knowing that the poison in the cauldron would kill him. Dumbledore knew this, and since Snape and Dumbledore are both powerful Legilimens, Dumbledore told Snape to kill him, ending with an audible "Severus, please." Snape swore the unbreakable oath to protect Malfoy, so he had to kill Dumbledore so that Malfoy wouldn't die.

TravisNewman
August 1st, 2005, 06:23 AM
I edited all posts that have spoilers to use white text. Lets follow that for future spoilers ;)

NoTiG
August 1st, 2005, 06:32 AM
SPOILER
Well regardless of how you interpret it... the fact is that dumbledore WANTED to die... now whether that was because he wanted to give them a chance to do the right thing... or maybe because snape will work on the inside...

He could have just as easily disarmed malfoy, as he froze harry.... so the question is why didn't he disarm malfoy rather than wasting his time to freeze harry potter? Was it because he wanted to protect malfoy and give him a chance to make the right decision?

I thought that the reason dumbledore let himself get in that position, putting 100% trust in snape was that he had to believe that although snape was once bad, he could be good again. He had to believe that there is good in everyone so he had to trust snape 100% . It's either that or they are working together so snape can bring voldemort down from the inside.

How come they could'nt talk to dumbledore after he died and appeared in the picture frame in the office?

TravisNewman
August 1st, 2005, 06:37 AM
spoiler:
" How come they could'nt talk to dumbledore after he died and appeared in the picture frame in the office?"

He was sleeping ;)

UbuWu
August 1st, 2005, 07:36 AM
For those that are to lazy to read the whole book: :grin:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_plots/Half-Blood_Prince

bored2k
August 1st, 2005, 07:46 AM
I edited all posts that have spoilers to use white text. Lets follow that for future spoilers ;)
This is _so_ freaky..

benplaut
August 1st, 2005, 09:17 AM
SPOILER
How come they could'nt talk to dumbledore after he died and appeared in the picture frame in the office?

i was wondering that myself :-?

TravisNewman
August 2nd, 2005, 01:06 AM
I couldn't help but find parallels between the events of the book and recent events in the world.

benplaut
August 2nd, 2005, 01:13 AM
I couldn't help but find parallels between the events of the book and recent events in the world.

i think that's intentional :wink:

SKLP
August 2nd, 2005, 01:17 AM
This book is great except for **SPOILER**Dumbledore's death**SPOILER**.

TravisNewman
August 2nd, 2005, 01:26 AM
I'm not so sure that what you mentioned in your spoiler is even permanent, somehow.

benplaut
August 2nd, 2005, 01:43 AM
I'm not so sure that what you mentioned in your spoiler is even permanent, somehow.

***SPOILT***
ghost, maybe? it said somewhere in another of the books that no spell can bring back the dead.

maybe it was a polyjuice'd dumbledore?
***/SPOILT***

Kimm
August 30th, 2005, 07:44 PM
***SPOILT***
maybe it was a polyjuice'd dumbledore?
***/SPOILT***

***SPOILER***
I had a similar idea... although I never think Dumbledore would sacrifise a human life to save his own.

I was completely sertain that this was the case, a case of a fake that is, when Harry talked to Hadrid after Dumbledore had been killed, I was sure the read Dumbledore was hiding somewhere inside the castle or something like that, but then again, perhaps he was
***SPOILER***

majikstreet
August 30th, 2005, 09:01 PM
HP&THBP was a really goooooood book!

****SPOILERS****
It was very unfortunate that Dumbledore died.... I think I quite liked Harry and Ginny-- contary to what other people have said in another thread... Really an exellent book.

****/SPOILERS****

majikstreet