PDA

View Full Version : ATI open source promiser leaves AMD

Paul S
August 25th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Is it good or bad that the guy who promised AMD would support open graphics drivers http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/05/09/amd-will-deliver-open-graphics-drivers/
is now leaving AMD http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~119056,00.html ?

It could mean he's giving up in frustration on trying to change ATI. Anyway, he won't be coming back to the RedHat conference next year and have to explain why his promise was never kept.

Guess this means our only hope is the avivo driver effort. Or buy Nvidia.

FWIW

hessiess
August 25th, 2007, 07:48 PM
just buy nivdia, thay may change when thay get reduced sales:guitar:

nrs
August 25th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Did he ever specifically say they'd release open graphics drivers? Because AFAIK what he said was more along the lines of ATI being "committed" to improving their relationship with the open source community. I guess because closed drivers are such a sore issue a lot of people just interpreted that as meaning open drivers.

I could be wrong, he may have specifically said they'd deliver open drivers.

Oh, unless you need uber performance (and how many Linux-only users do?), I recommend Intel instead of nVidia :) Maybe kind of tricky if you're using an AMD processor and motherboard, but something to rhink about for your future PC ;)

Paul S
August 25th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Did he ever specifically say they'd release open graphics drivers?

You might be right. Anyway, it was back in early May, and the fglrx is still poor :(

starcraft.man
August 25th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Still glad I've bought green for years. It saddens me that a Canadian company just isn't doing it's part in making drivers or for that matter making a compelling card (at least my opinion). I guess I'd say go green too, there are cheap 6 and 7 series cards out now if you don't game.

machoo02
August 25th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Did he ever specifically say they'd release open graphics drivers?
Read the first link again....

nrs
August 25th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Read the first link again....

The only quote they have of him is one that could've been taken out of context. I remember reading what he originally said and I'm fairly certain he didn't say they'd be releasing open drivers, rather, he made a very vague statement that a lot of people interpreted as meaning open drivers.

We all know memory isn't that reliable though, so if someone can find a link to his speech it'd be great.