PDA

View Full Version : I apparently have no concept of "fun"...

Mazza558
August 25th, 2007, 03:42 PM
...either that or I just don't like to celebrate...

It's funny, my parents have asked if I'd like to celebrate in some way for my birthday, and for the second year in a row now, I've said "no thanks". I am perfectly happy just keeping life "normal", and enjying time with my family. When I got my exam results the other week, I was very pleased with them, but once again I really didn't feel like celebrating/holding a party to celebrate. It's like I feel like there's no point to it - I feel like my parents shouldn't have to sacrifice some of their spare time just to please me, when I'm already pretty happy. My sister (5 years older than me) is havng a few (12) of her university friends round to have party, and I'm obliged to take part - I just don't see the point.

I just enjoy peace more than anything, and I'm now thinking I just don't like a fuss, in any way. It just doesn't feel natural to me.

What would you do in my situation? Who's right and who's wrong, in your opinion? Who's problem is it?

/EndEmoRant

R_U_Q_R_U
August 25th, 2007, 03:47 PM

It's funny, my parents have asked if I'd like to celebrate in some way for my birthday, and for the second year in a row now, I've said "no thanks". I am perfectly happy just keeping life "normal", and enjying time with my family. When I got my exam results the other week, I was very pleased with them, but once again I really didn't feel like celebrating/holding a party to celebrate. It's like I feel like there's no point to it - I feel like my parents shouldn't have to sacrifice some of their spare time just to please me, when I'm already pretty happy. My sister (5 years older than me) is havng a few (12) of her university friends round to have party, and I'm obliged to take part - I just don't see the point.

I just enjoy peace more than anything, and I'm now thinking I just don't like a fuss, in any way. It just doesn't feel natural to me.

What would you do in my situation? Who's right and who's wrong, in your opinion? Who's problem is it?

/EndEmoRant

No ones! The best advice I ever received was: Be yourself, no one else wants the job!

Basically, you do not have to explain your behavior or justify it. Just live your life in the way that makes YOU happy. Forget the rest.

You might want to read a classic book in this area by Dr. Manuel J. Smith " "When I Say No, I Feel Guilty"

Check it out, you will feel better.

wersdaluv
August 25th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Less than a month ago, it was my birthday. I wanted to celebrate with my friends but my parents won't let me do it my way. I guess, they are too conservative and they don't trust me enough.

So, I was supposed to celebrate a simple way, but I was sort of pissed and was not in the mood at the same time. I decided not to celebrate at all.

And oh, before I forget, it was my 18th birthday. I just said to my self, Im'ma wait until I'm 21. hehe. Im'ma do my thing on that year.

happy-and-lost
August 25th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Parties, getting really pissed and listening to crap music too loud aren't fun.

You just appreciate the finer, simpler things in life a little more than most people :)

Steve1961
August 25th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Beware the smile police. They're a certain section of society who seem to think that everyone has to be really smiley and sociable all the time. And if you don't conform, "you have no idea how to have fun!" :(

corney91
August 25th, 2007, 04:49 PM

It's funny, my parents have asked if I'd like to celebrate in some way for my birthday, and for the second year in a row now, I've said "no thanks".
Same.

I am perfectly happy just keeping life "normal", and enjying time with my family.
Each to his own

When I got my exam results the other week, I was very pleased with them, but once again I really didn't feel like celebrating/holding a party to celebrate.
Same again.

No-one's right or wrong your both having fun in your own way

ynnhoj
August 25th, 2007, 04:50 PM

i'm the same sort of personality. i don't think anybody is right or wrong, though. just do what you want, and allow others to do the same.

B0rsuk
August 25th, 2007, 05:00 PM

What makes you think it's a problem ? As long as you don't feel lonely, have some friends, and don't get labeled as a freak, sociopath, boring - everything is ok. Be careful, though. Some people may take it personally if you refuse to go to a party. It's better to say you just don't enjoy parties and mean no offense.

I like to be alone when I need to relax. I enjoy books, computer games, music etc. Noisy people make it hard for me to concentrate on learning or work. I stopped celebrating my birthday at 18 - I was always the kind of kid which helps in the kitchen, and I know full well how much work it requires. I started to associate birthdays with stress, fuss, hard work. I decided I'd rather relax and do something pleasant. It's supposed to be pleasant for me, too !

Generally I don't enjoy parties, although I may come if there are several people I like. (No coworkers)

hessiess
August 25th, 2007, 06:14 PM
you sound pritty simaler to me, partys are a waste of time, holodays are a waste of time

personaly i wish that cristmas and burthdays dident exist

SOULRiDER
August 25th, 2007, 06:32 PM
I spent my last birthday with my closest friends (2 girls, one guy) we just ordered some pizza and chatted the whole night :)

maniacmusician
August 25th, 2007, 06:41 PM
I'm the same way as well; don't like a fuss. The way you're doing it is the best way, in my opinion. I'm fine with recieving presents :), but celebrations are a bit too much of a hassle.

Darkhack
August 25th, 2007, 07:39 PM
I agree with everything said here. I hate parties. In particular I hate birthday parties simply because it seems so arrogant. Who the hell is so egotistical that they have to throw a party to celebrate their birth? I turned 18 earlier this week on August 21. Do you know what I got for my birthday? College homework!

I'm the luckiest person in the world already. I'm a white, middle class, suburban, male, with plenty of food, a computer with internet access and a good education. I'm not one of those "omg! Think of the poor African children!" people who get upset every time something good happens, but my point is that I am already happy. I don't need anything more.

hessiess
August 25th, 2007, 07:46 PM
by calibrating a birthday, all you are actually doing is celebrating that you have 1 less year to live, whats the point in that!

koenn
August 25th, 2007, 08:35 PM
... am perfectly happy just keeping life "normal", and enjying time with my family.
... I really didn't feel like celebrating/holding a party to celebrate. ... there's no point to it
... I just enjoy peace more than anything, and I'm now thinking I just don't like a fuss, in any way. It just doesn't feel natural to me.

All sounds very familiar.
Don't sweat it. If you don't want to throw a party (or have one thrown at you), keep saying so. People will get used to it and eventually accept it (probably along the lines of "He's a bit weird, doesn't like birthday parties and things like that and spends hours on end at his computer, but other than that, he's quite an OK guy [once you get to know him] ")

Dave Crowhurst
August 25th, 2007, 09:22 PM

That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest.

HENRY DAVID THOREAU

TBOL3
August 25th, 2007, 09:27 PM
I like to celebrate, but not go out of my way to do it. By this I celebrate by telling everyone who'd care. Although, this has made people think I"m weird.

mech7
August 25th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I hate my own birthdays.. also hate the required familly parties :p but those are not 'real' parties

Patrick793
August 25th, 2007, 09:31 PM
by calibrating a birthday, all you are actually doing is celebrating that you have 1 less year to live, whats the point in that!

I've never thought of it like that... Celebrating one less year to live sounds aweful...

herbster
August 25th, 2007, 10:24 PM
I've always seen it as reflecting on another year I've lived and what I'd done with it. Some of you need a hug ;)

use a name
August 25th, 2007, 11:30 PM
I spent my last birthday with my closest friends (2 girls, one guy) we just ordered some pizza and chatted the whole night :)
Yeah, that's party! Anything else: no thanks indeed.

rolando2424
August 26th, 2007, 01:51 AM
I usually just invite my cousin, he brings his laptop, we install warcraft3 and unreal 2004 demo on both computers and spend the day fragging and playing warcraft 3 :D

PrimoTurbo
August 26th, 2007, 02:25 AM
While I agree to some degree that celebrating your own birthday is a little difficult, primarily because you are responsible in organizing an event most of the time, brining people together maybe spending some money on food and alcohol. At the same time it's all worth it.

By having lot's of close friends and having an awesome party you celebrate your own self and personality. Being socially isolated and having no friends to celebrate your birthday would be very difficult for me as I hate being alone, especially being alone on your birthday?..

Also from all the parties, birthdays and large events are usually most memorable.

TBOL3
August 26th, 2007, 04:25 AM
I would like to be with someone on my birthday, but that doesn't necessarily mean having an organized party.

Darkhack
August 26th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I dislike 99% of the population. I can only think of one person whom I would really like to spend time with on my birthday, but he is extremely busy most of the time and he has a girlfriend that he needs to keep happy. I have a rather schizoid personality and although we like each other a lot and we have a great time together, I know it is very awkward for him because I spend most of my time isolated and don't always know how to act or what to say in public. He tells me that I come off as "creepy" even when I try to be normal, but he is a really cool guy for willing to put up with me to make me happy.

regomodo
August 27th, 2007, 03:17 PM
i hate having "parties" for my and others birthday. Always means my house i share gets into a right state afterwards. Also, people you don't like end up turning up.

Much prefer to go to the pub and get wankered with friends.

toupeiro
August 27th, 2007, 04:24 PM
It's been some years now since my 21'st birthday, but I figure I partied enough that night to last me the rest of my life.. Now, I might have 1 or 2 friends over for some BBQ and a movie and a few pints and I am perfectly content in that.

oh yeah, and birthday sex. Can't forget that! :-D

sugarland2k
August 27th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Spend some time playing with music with Amarok ! I mix my own old R&B CD's and have fun!

Hang in there!

Lord Illidan
August 27th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Bah I hate parties.....especially when everyone wants to get real pissed, and I don't care anything about that!