PDA

View Full Version : Off to uni

cypher2k
August 25th, 2007, 01:19 PM
My sis is off to uni soon, to do a course in fashion and design, she currently runs dapper.... any suggestions as to what applications would be useful? As far as 6.06 goes I suspect NM would be a good start lol :)

Considering upgrading her to Feisty but am unsure....

Thanks for any responses :)

Teamgeist
August 25th, 2007, 02:12 PM
My sis is off to uni soon, to do a course in fashion and design, she currently runs dapper....
Considering upgrading her to Feisty but am unsure....

Why not upgrade her machine to fesity.
Feisty is stable and has more features and newer versions of software that will bring your sister more functionality.

Actually.. when is she going away? If it's in october or even later I'd even consider an upgrade to Gutsy.

tcpip4lyfe
August 25th, 2007, 04:11 PM
UNI? as in University of Northern Iowa?

Kingsley
August 25th, 2007, 04:44 PM
UNI? as in University of Northern Iowa?

He didn't capitalize so I'm guessing he means university.

cypher2k
August 27th, 2007, 02:47 AM
As far as Feisty goes I tried it for a bit myself after giving it some grace time since i had heard about the fairly nasty regression it had regarding the middle mouse button not working on USB mice and while this may not affect her it just doesnt fill me with confidence.

While I was trying Feisty I found that the version of Evolution shipping with (even after updates) was easily crashed when editing a suggested email address from a GAL lookup on my work network. Just little things really but it needs to work well if she is gonna be a 3hr trip away from me and depending on it.

Hence my slight nervousness to upgrade her to Feisty let alone Gutsy.....

Has nobody got any application suggestions for her? That may aid her on the course she is gonna be doing aside from wine lol :P

Andrewie
August 27th, 2007, 03:28 AM
install a copy of windows xp for her in a vitual machine she may need it. and maybe find her a wacom with working vista drivers. Finally you may want to get her a copy of photoshop CS. I believe they use the Adobe suite or something from them which doesn't run in wine so thats what she could use the windows xp for. Other then that, I'm not sure. Don't update the laptop, Ubuntu has a way of breaking things with updates keep her on something trusted.

g2g591
August 27th, 2007, 03:37 AM
wow more people actually aware of the existence of the small state of Iowa