PDA

View Full Version : Best paid programming language now? But in the future?

the_nomad
August 25th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Hi,
I don't know whether there might be some other threads regarding this subject, even though I've searched for them but I didn't find anything that would approximate this one right here...

Ok, so here's the thing.
I'm 16 and I know VisualBasic, Delphi, PHP&MySQL and some JavaScript, and of course like most of us, I've started with C/C++. However I really don't know what I'm going to do next... I mean, when you start learning a programming language (after you have learned the basics of programming in some language) you have only one thing in your mind [supposing that you aren't that kind of nerd who learns only for the pleasure or learning it, without aiming anything at all]: earn more money. What? Am I wrong? If yes, please tell me! I hope you have some good explanations... Some people would say "Hey, you're too young to think about this :). Leave your parrents worry about money... If i were you i would go out with my friends etc etc.". Ok, here i only agree with the part about friends. However i totally disagree with the parts regarding "don't worry about money... your time will come too someday".

Ok, back to the subject.
Nowdays seems that Java (pretty asked) and C# (more or less) are the leaders in this business and you can earn some serious amounts of money (of course, having some years of experience). At least this is what i've heard... If im wrong please let me know :). However, what p.L.-s are going to be "the future"?

Another thing (if im not asking too much) would be: if you're a paid programmer, how much do you earn? and in what p.L. are you programming? And of course, one of the biggest questions that utterly needed to be added here: WHERE in this world (i mean the country) is your job that makes your pocket so happy?

I'm sorry if im obtrusive more or less, and sorry for my however bad english :(.

Best Regards,
- Adrian.

samjh
August 25th, 2007, 11:11 AM
In my area (Australia), the latest salary index figures for major programming languages are (all in AUD$ per year, as of June 2007):
Junior < 3 years experience
Intermediate 3 - 5 years experience
Senior > 5 years experience

junior intermediate senior
Developer - .Net (C#/VB.NET) $58,000 $78,000 $105,000
Developer - C++ $54,000 $68,000 $85,000
Developer - Java/J2EE $63,000 $86,000 $110,000
Developer - Visual Basic $57,000 $64,000 $75,000
Developers for very high-level languages such as Perl, PHP, Python, etc, don't earn a lot (between $40,000 to $70,000) unless they can show proficiency in one of Java/C++/C#/VB.NET.

Web programmers:

junior intermediate senior
Web Content Manager/Web Master $45,000 $55,000 $65,000
Web Designer $44,000 $58,000 $75,000
Web Developer - Back End $56,000 $68,000 $80,000
Web Developer - Front End $51,000 $64,000 $80,000
Web Producer $52,000 $66,000 $80,000

the_nomad
August 25th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Wow :D, pretty good statistics, thanx :) at least, comparing to Romania... heh.
By experience, what do they mean? Once you're completely familiar with the language (say 2 years on studying that language and another 5-7 [or less?] years of programming basics), you do what to earn that experience? I mean, i suppose that you have to get a job to earn it, right? What would be the salaries then? I mean how you would be classified as? As a "n00b" or what?:) thanx in advance.

samjh
August 25th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Wow :D, pretty good statistics, thanx :) at least, comparing to Romania... heh.
By experience, what do they mean? Once you're completely familiar with the language (say 2 years on studying that language and another 5-7 [or less?] years of programming basics), you do what to earn that experience? I mean, i suppose that you have to get a job to earn it, right? What would be the salaries then? I mean how you would be classified as? As a "n00b" or what?:) thanx in advance.

Generally "experience" means commercial experience: actually working professionally as a programmer. This is sometimes done for free (work experience). But for new graduates, some companies will select you if you can demonstrate that you are proficient in a language and have used it in non-trivial projects of very high quality. Otherwise, you may need to get a job in a non-programming field, and volunteer to write small utilities or help the real programmers in your spare time.

If you have experience writing in Open Source projects, that could count as experience if the project is commercially-viable and your contribution was consistently significant (mentioned in credits, official developer/reviewer status) for several releases.

pmasiar
August 25th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Best money is **not** work for salary but to start your own company. Then, you don't have PHB boss to tell you use Java, you can use Python instead and kick 4$$ of your competitors :-)

Lster
August 25th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Java gets paid more than C++? Oh my...

the_nomad
August 25th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Best money is **not** work for salary but to start your own company. Then, you don't have PHB boss to tell you use Java, you can use Python instead and kick 4$$ of your competitors :-)

True... and to start your own company you need what? ... erm... money?! yes!

Later EDIT:
working as freelancer counts?

pmasiar
August 25th, 2007, 04:32 PM
True... and to start your own company you need what? ... erm... money?! yes!

Later EDIT:
working as freelancer counts?

1.) Yes, freelancer counts - even volunteer can write code, and can it even post online so other people can see and evaluate it. Open source is excellent source of credentials.

2.) f you are really good, you can get hired by open-source company (of course it depends on project) and work from home or move to company HQ.

3.) I am not sure if Romania (you are from Romania, right?) is in European Union now, but even if is not, soon will be, so you can work is any country if you can speak language.

4.) Above salaries are **avarage**. Even if you have average talent, you may have above-average drive and persistence, so chances are you may get above-average returns :-)

5.) To start a IT company you need some money but not much. Web hosting of an app you created cost peanuts compared with average cost to develop one drug (takes 10 years, couple clinical trials to get approved, can cost easily $200M or more). Digg was created with an idea and like $200 "investment fund" IIRC. IT business is the easiest money by far.

6.) It is hard to make predictions - especially predictions abut the future :-)

Balazs_noob
August 25th, 2007, 08:18 PM
i will tell you how i see it now ....

Java and .NET (mostly c#) is the best payed now
that is a fact
(as a employee not as a own business :) )

in long term Java and .NET will still be here
( IMHO at least 10-20 years)
but the best payed that is a thought question :)
IMHO by the time you can start work( about 5-6 years if
you take BsC or 8-9 if you will take a MsC )
they will mostly start to use languages like Python and ruby
so i think the big money will be there

sorry for my English
good luck , Balázs

the_nomad
August 26th, 2007, 08:18 AM
thanx alot guys for replying! i really appreciate :)