PDA

View Full Version : The incredible backwards-moving thread!

RageOfOrder
August 25th, 2007, 06:00 AM
This thread has been sitting here for a while, so....

BUMP!

Iarwain ben-adar
August 25th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Yeah,
i think you are correct, but did you think about it with humans in mind?

Because, if you didn't, it would change the whole idea ...

It's important to include all possible ways to achieve that goal.

Iarwain

erfahren
August 25th, 2007, 08:03 AM
but the interface needs to be built with speed in mind. I think that's the only way it will ever get implemented.

cactusjack901
August 25th, 2007, 08:15 AM
I think the interface needs a good revamping, perhaps some e17-like effects?

Tux Aubrey
August 25th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Something like this, but much larger, would be great for public spaces.

Caffeine_Junky
August 25th, 2007, 08:40 AM
hmm ..I don't like the win98 look tho...

btw, when was the screenshot taken ? :confused:

cactusjack901
August 25th, 2007, 08:45 AM
I took it the other day, I was just messing around with metacity themes

Tux Aubrey
August 25th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Why do these threads always have to turn into Microsoft bashing?

Its a great idea. It doesn't matter who came up with the underlying architecture.

And I agree wholeheartedly with RAV TUX - It doesn't have to be Ubuntu - any debian-based distro could take this and run with it.

cactusjack901
August 25th, 2007, 09:21 AM
How can Microsoft even think of calling that an innovation! Everyone else has been doing it for YEARS

They may have written their own software, but they sure as hell didn't come up with the architecture behind it

smoker
August 25th, 2007, 09:43 AM
the reality is - printers should be banned! we will never achieve the paperless office if people can willy-nilly install a printer in any pc they want. think of the trees!

jkblacker
August 25th, 2007, 09:44 AM
While this looks like a good idea (heck, Microsoft say it's the biggest innovation in this field in years), I think it's actually a step backwards from a user's point of view.

wersdaluv
August 25th, 2007, 09:55 AM
I am from the future.

What I said is for real.

ComplexNumber
August 25th, 2007, 01:19 PM
it's just been announced that microsoft have revealed their latest invention: the START button.

koenn
August 25th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Well, it's obvious by now that there's lots of pros and cons to it. A bit of googling will also return lots of info. Specifically the design of the user interface is a popular topic, and there's tons of info at the Linux Documentation Project.

But to answer your question : yes, it's definitively possible - it might even be a good idea :)

RageOfOrder
August 25th, 2007, 02:20 PM
So I was thinking that PC towers should come with a coffee maker on the side, with software on the desktop to control it. I'm wondering about the user interface though....

But I definately agree. Most of those programs you mentioned are wastes of time. There are so many better alternatives out there.

koenn
August 25th, 2007, 07:53 PM
This is quickly turning onto the sort of thread where someone will make a sarcastic post about Microsoft inventing a START button and call it innovation.

Anyhow, we all know linux runs on just about any hardware, including the proverbial kitchen sink, and has enough weirdos in its userbase to even implement exotic protocols such as HTCPCP ( Hyper Text Coffee Pot Control Protocol, RFC 2324 - http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2324.txt )and IP networking via homing pigeans (http://linux.omnipotent.net/article.php?article_id=12239 ). And those MicroSerfs still call Linux a bunch of copy-cats.

Chilli Bob
August 26th, 2007, 05:58 AM
You see, it's comments like that that will get this thread moved to the backyard!!!

FuturePilot
August 26th, 2007, 06:00 AM
It's the government's fault :p

Ozor Mox
August 26th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I think it's agreed by most people here that software patents are a pretty bad idea and have got rather out of hand. I'm just thankful that they haven't crept outside of the US yet. If only there was someone to blame for the mess...

koenn
August 26th, 2007, 01:41 PM
You see, it's exactly that sort of thinking that got us into this mess in the first place ...

happysmileman
August 26th, 2007, 01:46 PM
I think that people should just take this stuff more seriously than they're taking it.

FuturePilot
August 26th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Microsoft is just spreading FUD. Don't pay attention to it.

RageOfOrder
August 26th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Remember when Microsoft said that Linux was a programming language?

koenn
August 26th, 2007, 07:26 PM
That's where your'e wrong.
At the risk of getting further of topic :
if you read 'Get the Facts", al you get is a subset of the facts, taken out of context, and presented in a way to make Microsoft's sollutions, and especially Windows Server, the ideal sollution. But don't let that fool you, Microsoft is studying Linux and open source closely.

Happy_Man
August 26th, 2007, 08:25 PM
wrong thread... delete.

jfinkels
August 26th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Sweet screenshot! I bet Happy_Man will like it. Even though you DO have that goofy new Microsoft website open...

RageOfOrder
August 26th, 2007, 09:26 PM
What do you think of my desktop now? I'm taking your idea and trying something new. Maybe this website can help me.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3609/snapshot20sd4.png (http://omploader.org/vMmRn/snapshot20.png)

koenn
August 26th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Has anyone tried that new GUI Windowing framework yet ? It's based of patches for bullet-proof X but evolved into an entirely new windowing system that can even be applied on Windows. So if you're into desktop customization, and also use Windows, you might wanna give it a try. It's still very experimental still, and the only available color scheme so far is ... black.

jfinkels
August 26th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Yes but aren't you excited for bulletproof X for Gutsy? Woohoo! It's bulletproof!

Andrewie
August 26th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Does anyone have any dark kde themes?

Mazza558
August 26th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I don't know about Gnome, but you can really customise KDE, and the oppurtunities for theming are endless. I don't know any resources on KDE themes, but I want to know some and I'm sure someone else will will want to know as well.

Oh, and about the new codename for Ubuntu 7.10 - I think it's a great improvement on the last. I know you disagree, but it's just for fun anyway.

RageOfOrder
August 26th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Did you hear they were changing the official codename for Ubuntu 7.10 to "Farty Fish" once it is officially released?

jfinkels
August 27th, 2007, 12:53 AM
What's with the alliterative titles? I hate them!

koenn
August 28th, 2007, 10:07 PM
That feature was already in Hoary Hedgehog, straight out of Debian. It disappeared again in Breezy, but it's present as an ubuntufied package in Dapper Drake Universe. Edgy and Feisty don't have it, but in Gutsy Gibbon you can use the Debian Etch package unmodified. This micro-management of polymorf packages is getting really ridicolous - the migration paths are beginning to resemble a trapper's trail into the Misty Mountains.

az
August 29th, 2007, 12:48 AM
I will never make a separate home partition again.

Sometimes you need to. Especially in this case.

FuturePilot
August 29th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Wait, where did /opt go?:o

az
September 1st, 2007, 12:28 PM
Linux sucks. You people are all dumb!

Be careful or someone will lock this thread for three days....

Happy_Man
September 1st, 2007, 06:29 PM
Linux sucks. You people are all dumb!

Stone123
September 1st, 2007, 06:46 PM
I hope that people continue to develop mythtv becouse it is the lightest and best looking app.

rabid9797
September 1st, 2007, 06:52 PM
along with the other aforementioned media applications, does anybody have an opinions on mythtv? it does seem as if the development on it has slowed recently..

p_quarles
September 1st, 2007, 06:55 PM
I'm having the same problem on my Toshiba Satellite U300. Can someone help me?

Also, I don't understand what "ROFLMAO" means?

Henaro
September 1st, 2007, 07:01 PM
My toilet won't seem to flush. ROFLMAO!!!!!

FuturePilot
September 1st, 2007, 09:03 PM
I need AIM. How do you install it?

jomiolto
September 1st, 2007, 09:27 PM
Of course you can use MSN in Linux (with Gaim/Pidgin, aMSN, etc.)! But there are other IM networks too, like AIM and Jabber, and they aren't controlled by MS, so you might consider using them. Of course, if all your friends are in MSN it might be a bit difficult to switch, but anyway...

P.S. Only my grandma uses MSN, but I found my current girlfriend through one of my AIM contacts and she's a real sweetie ;)

Afoot
September 1st, 2007, 10:09 PM
Are you serious? I absolutely HATE her. And besides, it's not like she deserves that position...

Btw. can I use MSN in Linux?

FuturePilot
September 1st, 2007, 10:12 PM
Steve Ballmer got a promotion

Happy_Man
September 2nd, 2007, 01:44 PM
What was that Microsoft announcement about yesterday?

FuturePilot
September 3rd, 2007, 05:43 PM
I'm not sure about that.

Did you hear that Microsoft made a big announcement yesterday?

Nekiruhs
September 3rd, 2007, 05:52 PM
I heard Bill Gates wants to sue MS for copyright infringement! He claims they stole his ideas for Windows!

koenn
September 3rd, 2007, 05:59 PM
clearly you don't understand the difference between licensing and copyright. You've probably been listening to MS too much, they also like to mix these terms (and throw in Intellectual Property to obfuscate things even more) 'cause the benefit from the fear, uncertainty and doubt it creates, supposedly to scare businesses away from using Linux.

As for your other question, I think it's possible, but maybe you could post a screenshot to make things clear ?

Nano Geek
October 7th, 2007, 01:50 AM
clearly you don't understand the difference between licensing and copyright. You've probably been listening to MS too much, they also like to mix these terms (and throw in Intellectual Property to obfuscate things even more) 'cause the benefit from the fear, uncertainty and doubt it creates, supposedly to scare businesses away from using Linux.

As for your other question, I think it's possible, but maybe you could post a screenshot to make things clear ?

Hey yall, I've got a question.

I want to rip some CD's into MP3's, but I've heard that Microsoft has a copyright on the MP3 format. Is this true? I don't want to be sued by Microsoft for using something they developed.

Also, I can't get compiz to work, here's a screenshot of what happens when I try to start it.

lukjad
October 15th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Why do you guys think that you can use linux and not get sued! It's wrong!

Don't you think that google is looking different lately?

slinkey1981
October 18th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Bill Gates didn't invent it, but MS WAS the first to implement it. Blame the community for not being more innovative

Where in my post do you see me as being uninformed? I was stating the obvious, don't verbally attack my dog just because I was right!