PDA

View Full Version : Man , I'm stuck inbetween two OS's

Wiebelhaus
August 25th, 2007, 12:23 AM
As I'm sure most of us are , I can't wait for ubuntu to.... how should I say this without sparking flames , Mature.

I love ubuntu , I use it for everything besides these stupid games that have a hold on me. I ditched games for months this year because of Ubuntu , But I need some type of graphical fix , Gametap & MMO's once these things run natively , I'll be in nirvana.

Honestly, I'd pay as much for a fully capable Ubuntu as I would for winblows anyday.

Dimitriid
August 25th, 2007, 12:36 AM
You should try to wait a bit until you're over your MMO withdrawal face :-P

Wiebelhaus
August 25th, 2007, 12:44 AM
lol

starcraft.man
August 25th, 2007, 12:48 AM
As I'm sure most of us are , I can't wait for ubuntu to.... how should I say this without sparking flames , Mature.

I love ubuntu , I use it for everything besides these stupid games that have a hold on me. I ditched games for months this year because of Ubuntu , But I need some type of graphical fix , Gametap & MMO's once these things run natively , I'll be in nirvana.

What does the lack of games have to do with Ubuntu maturing as a platform? If anything that's simply a software issue and developers (whoever) needs to fix/fill the gap.

Wiebelhaus
August 25th, 2007, 01:09 AM
What does the lack of games have to do with Ubuntu maturing as a platform? If anything that's simply a software issue and developers (whoever) needs to fix/fill the gap.

Leave it to starcraft to start with the inquisition, windows is mature because it can do(be compatible with) everything that people want except not to suck , yea , that may be the vendors responsibility , if so then mature in the respect that vendors will take notice , it's still so immature that vendors for the most part don't care about us or it even.

Fbot1
August 25th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Leave it to starcraft to start with the inquisition, windows is mature because it can do(be compatible with) everything that people want except not to suck , yea , that may be the vendors responsibility , if so then mature in the respect that vendors will take notice , it's still so immature that vendors for the most part don't care about us or it even.

They're trying to make money not please you.

Wiebelhaus
August 25th, 2007, 01:57 AM
They're trying to make money not please you.

I have plenty of money and would buy GNU/Linux specific software , in case you missed that.

Wiebelhaus
August 25th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Matter of fact , If blizzard were to release a linux client tomorrow I would buy the old & expansion discs for all three accounts in my house without second thought.

Fbot1
August 25th, 2007, 02:07 AM
I have plenty of money and would buy GNU/Linux specific software , in case you missed that.

I don't think you understand, it would not be worth it to sell Linux versions.

Wiebelhaus
August 25th, 2007, 02:12 AM

I do understand , although I would.

if the OS matured to the point where a million people would , then it would be worth it.

Darkhack
August 25th, 2007, 02:19 AM

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_gaming

In some cases, developers have released Linux ports of their games directly. id Software together with Raven Software ported Doom 3, the Quake series, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein; Bioware released Neverwinter Nights; Epic Games released Unreal Tournament 2003 and Unreal Tournament 2004; Croteam released the Serious Sam series. Introversion released Darwinia, Uplink and there is currently a Beta release of DEFCON. More commonly, an independent company has taken on the task of porting prominent Windows games to Linux. Loki Software was the first such company, and between 1998 and 2002 ported Descent³, Heretic II, Heroes of Might and Magic III, Myth II: Soulblighter, Railroad Tycoon II, Rune, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, Sim City 3000, Tribes II, and Unreal Tournament. Linux Game Publishing was founded in 2001 in response to the impending demise of Loki, and has brought Cold War, Postal², and X²: The Threat to Linux. Finally, icculus.org[1] has ported Aliens versus Predator, Duke Nukem 3D, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, and Rise of the Triad.

If one uses OpenGL instead of the proprietary DirectX from Microsoft, it is extremely easy to port to Linux and OS X. The game itself just needs to be recompiled and the installer is probably the only new code that needs to be written. The cost of porting is almost nothing in comparison to the game itself. It is cost effective and even profitable as it has been with Id.

Fbot1
August 25th, 2007, 02:32 AM
If one uses OpenGL instead of the proprietary DirectX from Microsoft, it is extremely easy to port to Linux and OS X. The game itself just needs to be recompiled and the installer is probably the only new code that needs to be written. The cost of porting is almost nothing in comparison to the game itself. It is cost effective and even profitable as it has been with Id.

My reasoning is more along the lines that most of the very few Linux user also have Windows or Mac and the few who don't aren't worth it.

RageOfOrder
August 25th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Honestly, if anything, it will be Ubuntu users that bring games to linux. If enough users beg for linux games, eventually companies will take notice that there is a market. Typical linux users of other distros tend to just accept the fact that linux has few worthwhile games and move on. Ubuntu users...not so much.

Although it really doesn't add to the distro maturing. Just shows that it's grown in popularity substantially.

DoctorMO
August 25th, 2007, 03:28 AM
ubuntu's internal maturity has very little to do with the number of games available to buy in a games shop.

The fact is that linux does have games, just not the ones you buy in a shop down the local high street. they're either free and you can install play them at your will or they are for pay and you go to the site and download the linux binary.

either way some gamers just don't try hard enough to find linux games, they want their windows games to work on linux and that just aint going to happen without games companies or open source gaming platforms which save companies a lot of money.