PDA

View Full Version : Yay for the new printing system in Gutsy Tribe 5!

bash
August 24th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I just downloaded Gutsy Tribe 5, installed it in ma VM and then the big surprise came. I read in the release notes that a new printing system had been implemented for Tribe 5. So I was curious how it would perform with my Canon (!) Pixma MP150 which is known to not really work in Linux and so far I had to revert to the paid Turboprint drivers to get ma printer up and running.

So I power on my printer and suddenly Ubuntu presents me this nice notification balloon saying that a new printer has been discovered. It recognises my printer correctly as a Canon Pixma MP150 and offers me the options to find a driver for it. So far it seemed already pretty impressive, but I was still skeptical because the driver part had been the issue in all the old Ubuntu version. So I click the "Find driver" button and 3 or 4 clicks later im back at the main settings window and presented with an option to print a test page. Which I do and to my big surprise it works. It prints all well, not titled, with the right colors. I actually was so surprised that I printed a couple more documents just to make sure that it wasn't some luck that got it right.

So I have to say you really gotta give some credits to the Fedora people that developed this system. It took me in total one pressing on the power button of the printer, 5 or 6 mouseclicks and 30 seconds to have my printer up and working. Now that is what I call plug&play. Finally at least for me printing in Ubuntu is where it should be.

Seisen
August 24th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Nice!!!! :lolflag:

the.dark.lord
August 24th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Is there a release annoucement or features page Gusty Gibbon Tribe 5?

chadlewis
August 24th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know what kernel is in Tribe 5? -9 and -10 are both still broken for me. I get a kernel panic trying to install on my Zonbu, yet Feisty works fine.

the.dark.lord
August 24th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know what kernel is in Tribe 5? -9 and -10 are both still broken for me. I get a kernel panic trying to install on my Zonbu.

GNOME 2.19.90

Just found the release notes...
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GutsyGibbon/Tribe5

m0eman
August 24th, 2007, 02:17 PM
feisty had mp150 support, I was so happy when I saw that because I could never get the mp150 drivers to work and turbo print never worked.

chadlewis
August 24th, 2007, 02:17 PM
GNOME 2.19.90

Just found the release notes...
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GutsyGibbon/Tribe5

That's the GNOME version, but I'm looking for the kernel version. Or is the kernel version tied-to/dependent-on GNOME?

mrgnash
August 24th, 2007, 02:26 PM
That's the GNOME version, but I'm looking for the kernel version. Or is the kernel version tied-to/dependent-on GNOME?

No, it's not ;) Current kernel in Gutsy is 2.6.22

chadlewis
August 24th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Thanks. I've noticed, however, that the -# has been changing. Specifically, it went from -9 to -10 within the last week or so. Does the number after the hyphen just represent a minor version number? Does it stand for something else? Will that number change in Tribe 5?

bash
August 24th, 2007, 03:38 PM
feisty had mp150 support, I was so happy when I saw that because I could never get the mp150 drivers to work and turbo print never worked.

Well I never managed to get my MP150 to work with Feisty. So at least for me this is a great new thing. :)

rexy
August 24th, 2007, 11:26 PM
they already stated they wont include .23 in the gutsy release, simply because it wont be out soon enough to prep it for gutsy.

This is because ubuntu rolls it's own flavour of the kernel to add more features and stability.

happy-and-lost
August 25th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Thanks. I've noticed, however, that the -# has been changing. Specifically, it went from -9 to -10 within the last week or so. Does the number after the hyphen just represent a minor version number? Does it stand for something else? Will that number change in Tribe 5?

Tribe 5 uses kernel 2.6.23-10

GFree678
August 25th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I always enjoy seeing what new features they've incorporated into the upcoming versions of Ubuntu. Makes me kinda happy I won't have to crack the software to use it all either. :)

regomodo
August 25th, 2007, 02:47 PM
can you change the resolution from the stock 600dpi? I have an ip4300 and the gutenprint drivers would only allow me one quality setting and am currently use the turboprint drivers

BigSilly
August 25th, 2007, 03:21 PM
@OP - That's pretty impressive, and unexpected. A nice surprise! With any luck they'll have found a way to get my Lexmark Z735 to work too.

I'm not holding my breath though!

Dark Star
August 25th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Already reviewed here :) Ubuntu 7.10 Alpha 5 Released! Brings New Printing System and X GUI (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=533633)