PDA

View Full Version : Have anyone here tried Apple's Darwin OS?

wersdaluv
August 24th, 2007, 12:09 PM
I saw a Wikipedia Article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_%28operating_system%29) on Apple's Darwin Operating System. I was wondering what it exactly is. Is it meant only for developers?

Have anyone here tried using Darwin? How is it?

nhydra
August 24th, 2007, 12:15 PM
I didn't try it but it uses a lot of FreeBSD. So, Darwin is a mix of freebsd and Macintosh.

bash
August 24th, 2007, 12:56 PM
OS X (current Apple OS in use) runs on top of darwin/uses darwin. I never knew Darwin by itself was also a functional OS.

bonzodog
August 24th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Darwin is the BSD based kernel and GNU toolset that Aqua, the OSX desktop, runs on top of much in the same way that X + [[insert favourite desktop]] does on linux.

3rdalbum
August 24th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Darwin is based on NeXTStep, which is (in the dim mists of time) based on FreeBSD. If you're thinking of trying it, be my guest - but remember that Apple doesn't develop it as a standalone operating system, only as a base to put OS X on.

popch
August 24th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Darwin is based on NeXTStep, which is (in the dim mists of time) based on FreeBSD. If you're thinking of trying it, be my guest - but remember that Apple doesn't develop it as a standalone operating system, only as a base to put OS X on.

This does not match with what they say on Darwin's home page. There, they seem to say that it was an OS, complete with GUI.

tgalati4
August 24th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I imagine that you can run Darwin with XDarwin (or xorg-server or X86) and then run Gnome Desktop on top of that.

I have a powerbook running Tiger (10.4.8) and I run XDarwin in one window with gnome-panel remotely from an Ubuntu machine. All of the panel applets seem to work. Window management works well. I've never experienced any crashes of the xserver while using it.

If they work over an ethernet remote ssh connection, then I imagine they would work locally as well.

Of course it doesn't have the polish of Tiger, but does it work well. If I had older, PPC hardware, it's worth the $129 to put Tiger on it.

stmiller
August 24th, 2007, 05:17 PM
This does not match with what they say on Darwin's home page. There, they seem to say that it was an OS, complete with GUI.

I think it is basically a FreeBSD.

If I had older, PPC hardware, it's worth the $129 to put Tiger on it.

or Linux! :)