PDA

View Full Version : Pirate Banned from Using Ubuntu

Matakoo
August 23rd, 2007, 10:33 PM
Just got this little tidbit in my RSS-reader...don't get caught doing something illegal using your computer or you may be told by by the government to dump Linux in favor of Windows...the mind boggles at the very idea.

http://techdirt.com/articles/20070822/221127.shtml

Polygon
August 23rd, 2007, 10:37 PM
well they gotta track him, and they dont have any tracking stuff for linux....

so i guess the real fault here is the goverment who doesnt have software that works on linux.

Dimitriid
August 23rd, 2007, 10:45 PM
Human rights violations do not seem to matter to your government more than protecting George Lucas' piles of cash.

Matakoo
August 23rd, 2007, 11:11 PM
well they gotta track him, and they dont have any tracking stuff for linux....

so i guess the real fault here is the goverment who doesnt have software that works on linux.

The problem, as I see it, is that the government apparently is clueless. Sure, he committed a crime and the government wants to make sure he doesn't do it again (or have proof if he does relapse really). No argument there. The thing is, it wouldn't even be necessary for tracking software. The ISP would be logging the traffic anyway, as they always do. And since the guy is now a convicted criminal, they would have to turn over those logs to law enforcement officials if asked to. At least that's how it works where I live.

Besides, even if that was to be false it is stupid of the law enforcement to rely on software to monitor him. A hardware based monitoring solution is probably more reliable, not to mention less likely to be tampered with.

insane_alien
August 23rd, 2007, 11:16 PM
there's always liveCD's

GFree678
August 23rd, 2007, 11:27 PM
Bah, he should have offered to port/code the tracking software himself!

:)

lyceum
August 23rd, 2007, 11:33 PM
Well, the story makes ME feel safer.

:popcorn:

The Government
August 23rd, 2007, 11:42 PM
Well, the story makes ME feel safer.

:popcorn:

It better.

juxtaposed
August 23rd, 2007, 11:44 PM
Americans, this is where your tax money is being wasted; Going after people who don't harm anyone, who share a bunch of 1s and 0s over the internet.

~LoKe
August 23rd, 2007, 11:47 PM
Just boot up VMWare. =/

The Government
August 23rd, 2007, 11:47 PM
Americans, this is where your tax money is being wasted; Going after people who don't harm anyone, who share a bunch of 1s and 0s over the internet.
People, do not listen to this individual! The use of your tax dollars is well justified and accountable. Do not listen to this individual!

Please?

FuturePilot
August 23rd, 2007, 11:49 PM
I though the government uses Linux and they don't have any tracking software for Linux!?:confused:
Eh, they probably figured MS and Vista loaded with DRM can keep an eye on him.

lyceum
August 23rd, 2007, 11:49 PM
People, do not listen to this individual! The use of your tax dollars is well justified and accountable. Do not listen to this individual!

Please?

It is hard to ignore some one that makes sense... hey ...is that chocolate? *wanders off distracted

GFree678
August 23rd, 2007, 11:57 PM
I though the government uses Linux and they don't have any tracking software for Linux!?:confused:
Eh, they probably figured MS and Vista loaded with DRM can keep an eye on him.
Ah ha!

So Vista IS the tracking software they're talking about after all. :lolflag:

SOULRiDER
August 24th, 2007, 12:01 AM
What i think is wrong is not only that theya re forxing him to dump the OS they like, but that he has to use one that isnt even free (as in $ free) and that he will have to pay to be watched over...

Biochem
August 24th, 2007, 12:19 AM
What i think is wrong is not only that theya re forxing him to dump the OS they like, but that he has to use one that isnt even free (as in $ free) and that he will have to pay to be watched over...

Well it could be considered a 500$ fine. But it would have benn better sent to charities rather than Redmond

newbie2
August 24th, 2007, 06:10 AM
A guy who uploaded the latest Star Wars movie got arrested, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit copyright infringement and criminal copyright infringement and got jail and home confinement
A guy who uploaded the latest Star Wars movie got arrested, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit copyright infringement and criminal copyright infringement and got jail and home confinement. As part of his home confinement, he agreed to install some tracking software on his computer. The problem is Hes an Ubuntu Linux user and the govt doesnt have any tracking software for Linux. So hes been told that he must use Windows for the term of his confinement. Looks like a case of cruel and unusual punishment to
http://www.e-pressen.dk/shownewsb.php?id=79709
:rolleyes: :-P

EXCiD3
August 24th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Wow, thats hilarious! Did he tell them about Wine or virtual machines? lol
lmao

Bachstelze
August 24th, 2007, 06:33 AM
That guy gets all he deserves. I hope they made him pay the Windows license as well.

the_darkside_986
August 24th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Putting the blatant totalitarian monitoring of a non-violent criminal in our "free" country aside, there are functions in the Windows API that allow accessing the memory of the spyware app from another application. This is how "trainers" or cheat utilities for PC games are created. Of course, the spyware would see him developing the app, but I wonder if there is another, offline PC in his house. But then the spyware would monitor the USB transfer of a program to the machine. What if the PC goes offline? What would the spyware then try to do? I have a lot of questions about this.

But anyway, it is best to stay away from p2p activity, especially if you don't have moblock (http://moblock.berlios.de/). It tries to protect against spammers trying to spy on personal information across the net, as well as protection from other nasty things.

LookTJ
August 24th, 2007, 09:24 AM
I think he's using Linux natively...but uses Windows on VMWare.

Tux Aubrey
August 24th, 2007, 09:58 AM
I think the US Government is showing a surprising and worrying level of ironic humor by sentencing a real computer geek to use Windows. I think I'd actually prefer a week in jail to being locked out of Ubuntu like that. His lawyers should have bargained better - like switching him to a rpm based distro for a month - or having to use KDE every second logon if he was a Gnome person.

What's next? Literate criminals being forced to watch reality TV? Health freaks and vegetarians being forced eat at McDonalds? Hoodlums being forced to attend a whole season of ballet?

steven8
August 24th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Hoodlums being forced to attend a whole season of ballet?

You go too far!

ButteBlues
August 24th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Personally, I think it serves the idiot right for using public trackers.

Private trackers exist for a reason.

blithen
August 24th, 2007, 10:34 AM

Please?

LOL

blithen
August 24th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I think he's using Linux natively...but uses Windows on VMWare.

That would be a good idea. If the probation officer comes over to check this out, just make VMware on fullscreen.

Matakoo
August 24th, 2007, 11:59 AM
That would be a good idea. If the probation officer comes over to check this out, just make VMware on fullscreen.

I think that's a bad idea...if the probation officer finds out, it could be considered a breach of the stipulations that got him out of jail. If so, he would go back into jail.

Seisen
August 24th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Well if he is banned from using linux then he can use a BSD-type OS and then their is nothing the government could do to him.

newbie2
August 24th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Well if he is banned from using linux then he can use a BSD-type OS and then their is nothing the government could do to him.

nope...only winblow$ :
http://sk0t.com/2007/08/opinions-needed.html
:twisted:

buzzmandt
August 24th, 2007, 03:01 PM
how about suing the government for cruel and unusual punishment, afterall, forced to use windows, degrading

Goliath!
August 24th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Absolutely outrageous! The guy who was jailed for downloading Star Wars is being forced to switch from Ubuntu to Windows: http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2197392/pirate-forced-windows

I can understand the court's position. But think of the precedent this sets. This is downright scary!! It means that the government could force us not to use the internet, or to use only the "approved" internet.

As I understand from the article, the victim is only trying to get the government to pay the cost of Winblows. He's been beaten down so hard he's not even raising the constitutional issues.

The funniest thing is that our government is so far behind technologically (not to mention socially and intellectually) that they're not even doing this on purpose. I'm sure that judge has absolutely no clue how the technology implicates our constitutional rights in his order. But when Cheney hears about this he will be overjoyed. He might even crack a smile.

juxtaposed
August 24th, 2007, 03:18 PM
The guy who was jailed for downloading Star Wars

He uploaded it, but yea, it is really stupid.

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-admin-monitored-by-us-government-forced-to-dump-linux/

LaRoza
August 24th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I can understand the court's position. But think of the precedent this sets. This is downright scary!! It means that the government could force us not to use the internet, or to use only the "approved" internet.

As I understand from the article, the victim is only trying to get the government to pay the cost of Winblows. He's been beaten down so hard he's not even raising the constitutional issues.

That he is allowed to use his computer is amazing.

Usually, a probation officer will not allow a client to use anything that was related to the crime. It would make more sense to say he cannot use the Internet, which was the tool used in the crime.

Although the case seems wrong, everything is quite right.

This situation is a result of probation, and probation often has strict conditions, but is better than jail.

original_jamingrit
August 24th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Is this article even for real?

bonzodog
August 24th, 2007, 03:26 PM
I think people are mis-interpreting the courts decision here - one of the terms of the agreement is that this software , which ONLY runs on windows, has to be used at all times. Thus, he must have windows to use the software, and thus comply. He is NOT being forced directly to use windows, just the tracking software. What someone *ought* to do now is contact the authors and persuade them to cross-platform it.

juxtaposed
August 24th, 2007, 03:30 PM
I think people are mis-interpreting the courts decision here - one of the terms of the agreement is that this software , which ONLY runs on windows, has to be used at all times. Thus, he must have windows to use the software, and thus comply. He is NOT being forced directly to use windows, just the tracking software.

To use the internet, he is being forced to use a software which needs windows, so he is being forced to use windows if he wants to use the internet.

LaRoza
August 24th, 2007, 03:33 PM
To use the internet, he is being forced to use a software which needs windows, so he is being forced to use windows if he wants to use the internet.

At least he is being allowed to have access to the internet, most internet related crimes make the use of the Internet during probation impossible.

He should stop moaning about the probation's conditions.

Sayers
August 24th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Torrents aren't worth it anymore in America

juxtaposed
August 24th, 2007, 04:46 PM
That guy gets all he deserves. I hope they made him pay the Windows license as well.

He didn't harm anyone. He just shared a movie online. I can't believe you would want to punish someone who didn't harm anyone :(

SOULRiDER
August 24th, 2007, 04:55 PM
He didn't harm anyone. He just shared a movie online. I can't believe you would want to punish someone who didn't harm anyone :(

Its ilegal so yes, he should get a punishment whats creepy is that celebrities that do drunk driving can go free and IMHO thats 1000 times worse.

Acglaphotis
August 24th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Its ilegal so yes, he should get a punishment whats creepy is that celebrities that do drunk driving can go free and IMHO thats 1000 times worse.

So you agree to send people to jail, pay over 5000$ because they shared a collection of ones and zeroes, and be forced to give up their rights just because the goverment prefers to spy on its people than to do anything else?

johnny4north
August 24th, 2007, 05:42 PM
it all about the money, thats why linux/linux communites will always be persecuted. i have personally spent between $20,000.00 and 30,000.00 on windows/and apps(i have one cd that cost me 750.00):(, but now i am free, im free :).

FurryNemesis
August 24th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Since when does the US government have the right to order a private citizen to buy anything?

You want him to use windows, you pay for it. My other points have been better made by other people.

/disgusted.

Bad thought:

ReactOS?

SOULRiDER
August 24th, 2007, 06:24 PM
So you agree to send people to jail, pay over 5000$ because they shared a collection of ones and zeroes, and be forced to give up their rights just because the goverment prefers to spy on its people than to do anything else?

Im not saying that, im actually saying how unjust justice can be. I too think thats a bit too much for sharing a movie, but lets be honest, he *KNEW* he didnt have to do it.

juxtaposed
August 24th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Its ilegal so yes, he should get a punishment

What I said still stands. He did not harm anyone.

Depressed Man
August 24th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I really never liked the logic "it's illegal therefore he deserves the punishment".

If you truly believe that then all of you should be in jail. Why? Well chances are you've all broken laws that are still in the lawbook (even if they're stupid and outdated). Such as not jumping into a road when a lady walks on a sidewalk.

Just cause it's a law and it gets broken doesn't mean the punishment can be whatever. You first have to question if the law is even worth policing (for example that old law isn't policed anymore) then the punishment has to fit the crime.

In this case whether if the law is worth policing (while I don't agree with it myself I'll let it pass for this thread), the punishment doesn't fit the crime at all. At most it should be a fine and even $5,000 is starting to push it.

~LoKe
August 24th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Since when does the US government have the right to order a private citizen to buy anything?

You want him to use windows, you pay for it. My other points have been better made by other people.

They didn't order him to buy Windows, they just barred him from using Linux.

Lster
August 24th, 2007, 08:14 PM
I don't think it's a big deal either way...

BrokeBody
August 25th, 2007, 05:07 PM
A Linux user who was jailed for uploading a film onto a peer-to-peer service has been told he will have to switch to Windows if he wants to use a computer again.

http://news.com.com/Linux+felon+forced+to+install+Windows/2100-1030_3-6204348.html?tag=newsmap

DoorGunner
August 25th, 2007, 05:13 PM
I dont know what was worse: The jail sentence or being forced to use windows.:lolflag:

Frak
August 25th, 2007, 05:20 PM
rotflol

Alterax
August 25th, 2007, 06:19 PM
For some reason VMWare and VirtualBox keep crossing my mind when I read about this....

Goliath!
August 25th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Fair enough, I stand corrected. Yes, this poor schmuck got caught and part of his punishment is to obey the court's orders. My righteous indignation was misplaced. Thanks for explaining it to me.

SOULRiDER
August 25th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Err, theres already a discussion about this somewhere around...

juxtaposed
August 25th, 2007, 07:15 PM

Theres a few.

BrokeBody
August 25th, 2007, 07:30 PM

I used search before posting, and I didn't find it.

nrs
August 25th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I'd be more upset if he wasn't allowed to use GNU/Linux because they thought it was something like http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.12.2.42056.2147.html

Turns out he has to run the software if he wants to use the computer, and it only runs on Windows. I think it's a lot different than "forbidding" him to use Linux. It is a side-effect.

kerry_s
August 25th, 2007, 08:27 PM
he could always qemu,vm,etc... and run linux that way. i was thinking live cd, but than they might say he's not using the software they require.

Fonon
August 25th, 2007, 08:58 PM
I'd be more upset if he wasn't allowed to use GNU/Linux because they thought it was something like http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.12.2.42056.2147.html

Obviously, the Dad who wrote that is a terrible father, and knows absolutly nothing about computers. Controlling their kids lives is not "model" anything, unless it's a dictatorship. Almost everything was wrong in that article...

In anycase, perhaps the guy convicted could try to...use it with WINE? Or at least ask the government for a cross platform solution...but if he was stupid enough to get caught, I suppose that is what he deserved...

bapoumba
August 25th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Threads merged.

Frak
August 25th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I know, we punish those people really good like, right ;)
Forget those who embezel money, he just stole a movie, KILL HIM :twisted:

vexorian
August 25th, 2007, 10:29 PM
This sounds like a sitcom to me

"So, like ubuntu? Then I sentence you to use windows!"

Billy_McBong
August 26th, 2007, 01:15 AM
I really never liked the logic "it's illegal therefore he deserves the punishment".

If you truly believe that then all of you should be in jail. Why? Well chances are you've all broken laws that are still in the lawbook (even if they're stupid and outdated). Such as not jumping into a road when a lady walks on a sidewalk.

Just cause it's a law and it gets broken doesn't mean the punishment can be whatever. You first have to question if the law is even worth policing (for example that old law isn't policed anymore) then the punishment has to fit the crime.

In this case whether if the law is worth policing (while I don't agree with it myself I'll let it pass for this thread), the punishment doesn't fit the crime at all. At most it should be a fine and even $5,000 is starting to push it.

i agree, but i think anything over$1000 is pushing it

goumples
August 27th, 2007, 04:36 AM
8. Is your son obsessed with "Lunix"?

BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program called "xenix", which was written by Microsoft for the US government. These programs are used by hackers to break into other people's computer systems to steal credit card numbers. They may also be used to break into people's stereos to steal their music, using the "mp3" program. Torovoltos is a notorious hacker, responsible for writing many hacker programs, such as "telnet", which is used by hackers to connect to machines on the internet without using a telephone.

Your son may try to install "lunix" on your hard drive. If he is careful, you may not notice its presence, however, lunix is a capricious beast, and if handled incorrectly, your son may damage your computer, and even break it completely by deleting Windows, at which point you will have to have your computer repaired by a professional.

If you see the word "LILO" during your windows startup (just after you turn the machine on), your son has installed lunix. In order to get rid of it, you will have to send your computer back to the manufacturer, and have them fit a new hard drive. Lunix is extremely dangerous software, and cannot be removed without destroying part of your hard disk surface.

Is this page even meant seriously? Kinda hard to believe. Think it still deserves a :lolflag:

Depressed Man
August 27th, 2007, 05:19 AM
Haha I remember that page.

The Government
August 27th, 2007, 05:28 AM
We do not have anyone who can program for Linux. We do not see the need. We control you anyway, why bother.

-Your Governemnt.

metallicamaster3
August 27th, 2007, 01:46 PM
I'd be more upset if he wasn't allowed to use GNU/Linux because they thought it was something like http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001...2056.2147.html

Whoever wrote that article needs to have his legs chopped off, thrown in a well, filled to the top in Whiskey, and set on fire.

kingof1981
August 28th, 2007, 06:28 PM
ha ha...
it's unbelievable... and i wars thinking that the government has more improved technology as we have...
but they havn't...

ha ha... :)

notwen
August 28th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Stuff like this really show how much of grip on computers MS has. This guy's government can't even monitor him using a *nix OS. So sad.