PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu & Circuit City Using Same Image?

Ek0nomik
August 24th, 2007, 05:28 AM
http://www.ubuntu.com/support

The picture in the upper left. A male wearing a green shirt and a headset.

Now look at Circuit City's "Firedog" support website:

http://www.firedog.com/ - Bottom of the page.

Same person if I am not mistaken?

Is it an free stock photo? I wouldn't be surprised if Ubuntu used stock photo's.

Thoughts?

cmmike1
August 24th, 2007, 05:30 AM
it looks like the exact same guy. not sure as to why both of them are using it though.

vexorian
August 24th, 2007, 05:32 AM
there are companies that sell these generic pictures?

Ek0nomik
August 24th, 2007, 05:34 AM
there are companies that sell these generic pictures?

Indeed. I just figured Canonical would have done their own rather than buy a photo.

FuturePilot
August 24th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Wow! That's like identical! :o

WiFi Ed
August 24th, 2007, 06:03 AM
It's his evil twin, Skippy...

~~Tito~~
August 24th, 2007, 06:15 AM
The exact same picture just positioned in a different way. Lol for a min I thougt you wher talking about the white guy. LAMO.

santiagoward2000
August 24th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Maybe Canonical can't afford a cam to take their own picture? :confused:
Some day that guy may be really famous! :KS

EXCiD3
August 24th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Some day that guy may be really famous! :KS

Like right now!

Thats kinda scary...Since when did God start going open-source with his projects?

K.Mandla
August 24th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Probably stock photo. I used to think they were tacky, but after working for a few years in media, I realize it's just quicker and cheaper than generating your own 3-inch by 2-inch generic photo of a person in an office.

Sporkman
August 24th, 2007, 09:14 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

smartboyathome
August 24th, 2007, 09:25 PM
The exact same picture just positioned in a different way. Lol for a min I thougt you wher talking about the white guy. LAMO.

It isn't positioned differently, the firedog one is just cropped. :lolflag:

Darkhack
August 25th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Indeed. I just figured Canonical would have done their own rather than buy a photo.

If you look at the photo, you can tell it is done professionally. A quick snapshot with a standard camera would yield much less quality and the scene as well as the lighting are done very well. It would cost much more than it is worth to hire a photographer and set up everything needed just for a single picture. There are dozens of stock photo sites online and many of them offer royalty free images. I tried to find the same photo on one of those sites to show everyone, but I couldn't find that exact one.

Commercials even use stock video footage. Insurance commercials are the worst about this. I've seen scenes of little kids playing in a park and an old couple walking down the beach for two different insurance companies. They even have stock background music for advertisements as well. It's much cheaper for companies to pay for the rights to use stock media rather than paying a studio to produce something fresh.

disturbed1
August 25th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Could be they both outsource to the same call center company ;)

Mr. Pepper
August 25th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Stock photos of office environments are always funny, at my work, apparently based on what we look like on the internet, we are all 30 something professionally tailored and preened, serious and devoted to making calling us an enjoyable experience..... I laugh at that because I work in a pizza callcenter....

marsmissionaries
August 25th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Stock photos of office environments are always funny, at my work, apparently based on what we look like on the internet, we are all 30 something professionally tailored and preened, serious and devoted to making calling us an enjoyable experience..... I laugh at that because I work in a pizza callcenter....

Are you trying to tell us that everything we see on the internet could be a lie?

My world is ending.:lolflag:

hanzomon4
August 25th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Same person? Nope.... j/k

[qoute]Commercials even use stock video footage. Insurance commercials are the worst about this. I've seen scenes of little kids playing in a park and an old couple walking down the beach for two different insurance companies. They even have stock background music for advertisements as well. It's much cheaper for companies to pay for the rights to use stock media rather than paying a studio to produce something fresh.[/quote]

How much would it suck to shoot some stock video and end up seeing your mug in a Herpes commercial :eek:

southernman
August 25th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Yeah, it's the same guy. When he isn't doing photo ops he wears two sets of headphones. One for Canonical and one for CC. Busy man... and talented too!

forrestcupp
August 25th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Yeah, it's the same guy. When he isn't doing photo ops he wears two sets of headphones. One for Canonical and one for CC. Busy man... and talented too!

He also has a night job starring in Jackie Chan movies.

southernman
August 25th, 2007, 10:18 PM
He also has a night job starring in Jackie Chan movies.

oh lordy

~LoKe
August 25th, 2007, 10:19 PM
There are a couple stock screams that are used in hundreds if not thousands of movies. It's call the "Wilhelm scream" and is widely known and recognized. If you've ever played Starcraft, then you might remember the sound the Academy makes when you click on it. That's the Wilhelm scream.

Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream). It's mostly used as an inside joke now, but it's funny nonetheless.

As for stock images...well...it's just...easier.

Frak
August 25th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I buy stock photo packages. I've bought many, and that photo was one of them.

erfahren
August 25th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I did a little Google image searching to see if I could find the photo online elsewhere as well. No luck, but I found this guy (http://www.bowkera.com/tech_support.htm). I think the Ubuntu support page should use him instead; has more of an old-time Linux look to him don't you think? :p

Polygon
August 26th, 2007, 06:15 AM
There are a couple stock screams that are used in hundreds if not thousands of movies. It's call the "Wilhelm scream" and is widely known and recognized. If you've ever played Starcraft, then you might remember the sound the Academy makes when you click on it. That's the Wilhelm scream.

Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream). It's mostly used as an inside joke now, but it's funny nonetheless.

As for stock images...well...it's just...easier.

ahh yes i hear the wilheim scream all the time, its really quite funny when i do hear it :D

erginemr
November 12th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Refer to the page:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=610562

And that page refers here, so it seems I have just created an infinite loop.

Silly me... ](*,)

Sporkman
November 12th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Refer to the page:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=610562

And that page refers here, so it seems I have just created an infinite loop.

Silly me... ](*,)

Stack overflow.

cyclefiend2000
November 12th, 2007, 08:54 PM
double agent?