PDA

View Full Version : Would suck to have to switch back to Windows just cause..

MemoryDump
August 24th, 2007, 04:34 AM
... for me it's 1 thing right now..

I play WoW, which requires me to use Ventrilo to communicate to my guildies all the time in-game since I'm the GuildMaster.
So I got Vent working decently well under Wine, however I just can't get the damn PUSH to Talk feature to work no matter what I do when WoW is maximized. I need this to work while Raid Leading :(

I've tried the suggestions/steps/advice from this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=41737&page=14&highlight=ventrilo), however I'm not getting any success.. *sigh*

hopefully I find a solution soon as I really don't want to have to switch back just for 1 stupid thing like this not working. (and no switching to TeamSpeak isn't an option for our guild)

Kingsley
August 24th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Why not dual boot?

Istonian
August 24th, 2007, 04:51 AM
I prefer TeamSpeak to Ventrilio, but if that is not an option. Try another emulation like program.

aidanr
August 24th, 2007, 05:03 AM
did you check the wine appdb (http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=3936), they mention a program called ventriloctrl, you could try that or otherwise you could use voice activation instead (i think, at least you can with ts, haven't used vent in ages)

MemoryDump
August 24th, 2007, 02:01 PM
did you check the wine appdb (http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=3936), they mention a program called ventriloctrl, you could try that or otherwise you could use voice activation instead (i think, at least you can with ts, haven't used vent in ages)

yeah I'm trying to get ventriloctrl working right now. hopefully a solution can be found soon :)
I REALLY don't want to have to dual-boot, otherwise I know I'll probably just keep Windows booted as I primarily use my system for gaming and multimedia. Since I got WoW to run fairly well under Wine I rather stick with Linux :D

secular4ever
August 24th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Hello everyone,
its my first post here, and it fact i just registered just to talk about my experience with ubuntu, but i found this post a good place...

I've been trying linux for longtime ago and i remember my first distro was RedHat 7.3, that was a really bad experience... Suse.. Debian... Linspire or Lindows .. all of them failed to be as my primary Operating System.

But since I downloaded and installed ubuntu as a secondary OS for testing... I almost found all the questions for my answers and got all the alternative applications that makes me leave windows for good ...

BUT...
Games was the only problem i got.. I even purchased and installed CEDEGA yesterday, but it failed too .. Games are running very slow.. If i really can find a solution for this problem .. that would be great and i'll make my donation for the great UBUNTU

MemoryDump
August 27th, 2007, 02:04 PM
yeah I'm trying to get ventriloctrl working right now. hopefully a solution can be found soon :)
I REALLY don't want to have to dual-boot, otherwise I know I'll probably just keep Windows booted as I primarily use my system for gaming and multimedia. Since I got WoW to run fairly well under Wine I rather stick with Linux :D

well it does suck now.. I had no choice last night but format and re-install the "other" OS. I tried everything I could, posted everywhere I could.. and still had some "issues". :(

It's a real shame, Ubuntu is by far 1 of the best OS's out there imo. It's a real shame developers don't put more effort in releasing Linux supported apps. Some are, but not enough.. and I would gladly pay if I had too just to stay on the Linux platform.

hopefully things will only keep on getting better and I'll finally be able to make the permanent switch without having to dual boot or use application such as Wine to run software. (in my case, games such as WoW and voice apps like Vent which my guild uses)

thanks all for the great help and support. I shall return again! :D